Looking for perfect commuter..

TommyT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2017
London
Hi, I'm Tom, this is my first post here.

I've been an all year round motorcyclist for years but quite keen to get some exercise into my daily life. I work in central London and live about 5-6 miles north. In the evenings I need to be able to get back home in good time to collect my son from nursery. I don't want cycling to seem like a chore, particularly in the evenings going slightly uphill. An ebike seems perfect since it will take some of the effort away on the incline.

I went to cycle surgery in camden this weekend and tried 3 bikes
First the Ridgeback e-flight DI2. I got about 100m up the road before I realised the gears were not actually working so I returned it. Then I tried the Ridgeback e-flight sans DI2. I cycled all the way up to hampstead and back and thoroughly enjoyed it except my wrists were sore at the end. I found the Steps system a bit whiney sounding but otherwise it was pretty easy to use. Likewise the alfine 8 speed worked well.

Then I tried the Kalkhoff Connect Pro B9. Immediately I preferred the more upright position. It gave me a much better view of traffic and made turning my head to check for traffic much easier. The Bosch Performance Line system seemed a bit more powerful than the Shimano steps too, particularly torque at lower speeds. I didn't even realise there was a turbo mode till the end and that was amazing. The gears - Shimano Alivio not as crisp as the the Alfine system. I also found the front suspension forks helped give a smoother ride. I can't say I really noticed the extra weight.

Key points for me are:
- solid performance
- comfortable ride
- decent handling ( prefer slight curved handlebar rather than swept back )
- upright position ( adjustable handlebar stem )
- very crisp/reliable gear changes
- low maintenance
- can accept or comes with mudguards and rack for pannier.
- preferably not too fancy looking

Price wise, comfortable up to £3k. Would stretch to £3.5k if there was a very compelling option. I'd rather invest in quality than skimp but don't particularly want to pay for unnecessaries, especially if they come with additional complexity. eg DI2 seems a bit risky.

I'm considering the Kalkhoff Connect Pro B10 , a higher specced version of the B9 with Shimano Deore. I'd like to know what are other similar bikes by other brands I should consider.

From looking online the following seem to be possible options:
- Kalkhoff Connect B10 (bosch, shimano alfine, deore ?kg
- Kalkhoff Connect I10 (although heard various positive/negative comments about impulse)
- Volt pulse X (bafang hub with throttle/ deore/ adjustable handlebars/ 24kg )
- Volt infinity 1 (shimano steps/alfine hub gears/di2/hydraulic breaks/21.6kg)
- Volt connect (shimano steps/deore gears/21g)
- Gazelle CityZen C8 (Bosch, hydraulics, 20kg+battery?, gears not specified)
- Cube Dehli Hybrid 500 (Bosch cx, nuvinci n330)
- Cube Dehli Hybrid 500 Pro (Bosch cx, nuvinci n380 auto)
- Cube touring sl 500 hybrid (bosch cx, shimano xt derailler, xt hydraulics, fixed raised handlebars, 23kg)
- Haibike ?? cant find any with adjustable height handle bars
- Scott E-Sub Tour 2017 Bosch
- KTM Macina style 11 CX5 (bosh cx, shimano xt - looks similar to cube above)
- Moustache Samedi Titanium (bosch, nuvinci, hydraulics, 24kg)
- Moustache Friday (Bosh, deore, hydraulics, 22.9kg)

What else should I consider. What of the above are considered the best?

A few other questions:
1) Hub gears seem appealing for their lower maintenance - but is that actually the case? It seems like you have to get them oil-bathed/serviced every year, is that right?

2) Is derailler preferable to hub gears?

3) If hub, Is nuvinci preferable to alfine. I've seen a lot of comment saying nuvinci is better but much fewer bikes with them.

4) Assuming hub, Is a gates belt drive desirable on an ebike? Or just a headache when it goes wrong? Is a decent chair guard as good as a belt in terms of protecting clothes.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Tom

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
During my time with a NuVinci I did like it but found I would be continually doing minor adjustments that wouldn't be done with conventional gearing.

Downside for me was it being stiff to turn the control. Had the Harmony auto being available it would have been better, I had tried one on a Kalkhoff but not taken with it at the time.

Would I have another? No, I prefer the Rohloff though that is a bit dearer.

I also had the Gates carbon belt and that was OK apart from the rear pully/cog failing where it mated with the NuVinci. I believe now modified, certainly the belt is different.

I managed a little over 1000 miles before the problems started leading to a refund.

I hope you choose well.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi, I'm Tom, this is my first post here.

I've been an all year round motorcyclist for years but quite keen to get some exercise into my daily life. I work in central London and live about 5-6 miles north. In the evenings I need to be able to get back home in good time to collect my son from nursery. I don't want cycling to seem like a chore, particularly in the evenings going slightly uphill. An ebike seems perfect since it will take some of the effort away on the incline.

I went to cycle surgery in camden this weekend and tried 3 bikes
First the Ridgeback e-flight DI2. I got about 100m up the road before I realised the gears were not actually working so I returned it. Then I tried the Ridgeback e-flight sans DI2. I cycled all the way up to hampstead and back and thoroughly enjoyed it except my wrists were sore at the end. I found the Steps system a bit whiney sounding but otherwise it was pretty easy to use. Likewise the alfine 8 speed worked well.

Then I tried the Kalkhoff Connect Pro B9. Immediately I preferred the more upright position. It gave me a much better view of traffic and made turning my head to check for traffic much easier. The Bosch Performance Line system seemed a bit more powerful than the Shimano steps too, particularly torque at lower speeds. I didn't even realise there was a turbo mode till the end and that was amazing. The gears - Shimano Alivio not as crisp as the the Alfine system. I also found the front suspension forks helped give a smoother ride. I can't say I really noticed the extra weight.

Key points for me are:
- solid performance
- comfortable ride
- decent handling ( prefer slight curved handlebar rather than swept back )
- upright position ( adjustable handlebar stem )
- very crisp/reliable gear changes
- low maintenance
- can accept or comes with mudguards and rack for pannier.
- preferably not too fancy looking

Price wise, comfortable up to £3k. Would stretch to £3.5k if there was a very compelling option. I'd rather invest in quality than skimp but don't particularly want to pay for unnecessaries, especially if they come with additional complexity. eg DI2 seems a bit risky.

I'm considering the Kalkhoff Connect Pro B10 , a higher specced version of the B9 with Shimano Deore. I'd like to know what are other similar bikes by other brands I should consider.

- Kalkhoff Connect I10 (although heard various positive/negative comments about impulse)
- cube touring sl 500 hybrid (bosch cx, shimano xt derailler, xt hydraulics, fixed raised handlebars, 23kg)

What else should I consider. What of the above are considered the best?

A few other questions:
1) Hub gears seem appealing for their lower maintenance - but is that actually the case? It seems like you have to get them oil-bathed/serviced every year, is that right?

2) Is derailler preferable to hub gears?

3) If hub, Is nuvinci preferable to alfine. I've seen a lot of comment saying nuvinci is better but much fewer bikes with them.

4) Assuming hub, Is a gates belt drive desirable on an ebike? Or just a headache when it goes wrong? Is a decent chair guard as good as a belt in terms of protecting clothes.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Tom
... Here I will again sound like a broken record... Look at the Raliegh Motus. Perfect for your distance 6 miles in broken London traffic, probably 35 minutes commute... , And save 1500 .
Get it fitted with panniers and get slime filled tubes and when the tyres eventually wear out replace with marathon plus

TommyT

Jun 12, 2017
London
... Here I will again sound like a broken record... Look at the Raliegh Motus. Perfect for your distance 6 miles in broken London traffic, probably 35 minutes commute... , And save 1500 .
Get it fitted with panniers and get slime filled tubes and when the tyres eventually wear out replace with marathon plus
Does the Raleigh only come with hub gears? Is the nexus 8 recommended? I thought the Alfine 8 was considered better.

Hows Raleigh quality compared with Kalhoff generally? The Raleigh sits price wise between the B9/B10. Kalhoff have Bosch performance line motor compared to Raleigh with active line.

D

Deleted member 4366

Wisper 905 Torque would be my choice. I can't see that you're going to gain anything for a commuter bike by spending double the price. In fact, if you just want it for commuting, I'd go even cheaper to a Woosh or Kudos, or maybe even a Cyclamatic. 5 or 6 miles is nothing. By the time you get on the bike, it's time to get off. That would be a complete waste of an expensive bike. I'd only spend that much if it were my serious hobby. If you can afford to waste £3k+, get whatever bike floats your boat and show it off to all your friends.

One final point. An expensive e-bike won't last a week of commuting unless you have somewhere secure to keep it while at work!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Tommy,

For commuting, a geared hub bike is better than a crank drive.
For example, if you have a broken chain, you can't get home with a crank drive bike like you can with a hub bike.
Hub bikes are no heavier than crank drive bikes, require less maintenance and cheaper to buy too.

(cheaper to buy = less attractive to thieves).

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'd put good integrated lights high on my list along with decent mudguards. The one area hub gears shine is being able to change while stationary at lights. If buying middrive like bosch or shimano with derailluers, good shifters are a must eg 9-10 spd Deore. I don't think you achieve much by going to 11spd while maintenance costs are higher.

TommyT

Jun 12, 2017
London
Wisper 905 Torque would be my choice. I can't see that you're going to gain anything for a commuter bike by spending double the price. In fact, if you just want it for commuting, I'd go even cheaper to a Woosh or Kudos, or maybe even a Cyclamatic. 5 or 6 miles is nothing. By the time you get on the bike, it's time to get off. That would be a complete waste of an expensive bike. I'd only spend that much if it were my serious hobby. If you can afford to waste £3k+, get whatever bike floats your boat and show it off to all your friends.

One final point. An expensive e-bike won't last a week of commuting unless you have somewhere secure to keep it while at work!
Depends how you look at it I suppose. Married with young child = no time for hobbies so try to make day to day activities as pleasurable as possible. Not looking to show off in the slightest. I'm used to motorbikes and high power scooters that are pretty bulletproof and reliable. My past experience of even half decent bicycles eg 105 groups etc, was still that the gear changes would not stay crisp for long and alwsys struggling to find a gear I was happy with. Given London traffic, I'd rather not compromise safety if a few hundred quid extra would provide a more solid and reliable experience.

One thing I immediately missed coming from a motorcycle was lack of indicators so if any one can recommend some aftermarket ones that would be appreciated.

I have underground garage at work and can leave a lock there.

Price and spec level of whisper similar to the kalkhoff B9 I tried. Is there something about the whisper spec/design that makes it standout?

TommyT

Jun 12, 2017
London
I'd put good integrated lights high on my list along with decent mudguards. The one area hub gears shine is being able to change while stationary at lights. If buying middrive like bosch or shimano with derailluers, good shifters are a must eg 9-10 spd Deore. I don't think you achieve much by going to 11spd while maintenance costs are higher.
Mudguards and integrated lights essential, thankfully I think all the ones I've listed above have them.

Agreed on number of gears. I actually found I only really used the top 3 or 4 anyway on my test since the power helps so much starting off. 8 should be sufficient. I was even tempted by the gtech ebike with no gears but I think that would take the fun out of downhill blasts.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Price and spec level of Wisper similar to the Kalkhoff B9 I tried. Is there something about the Wisper spec/design that makes it standout?
Thoroughly well put together complete hub drive package (that's not to say the B9 isn't either). Why not try them both, then make your own mind up.

Gaz

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
One thing I immediately missed coming from a motorcycle was lack of indicators so if any one can recommend some aftermarket ones that would be appreciated.
Tell me about it. Having to hand signal is a pain in the bum but sadly it's a legal requirement.

If you believe that the future of ebikes is in the insertion of software —and it is—then the Stromer is the iPhone of ebikes. It also has electronic shifting.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A big 'no' to indicators - drivers don't expect push bikes to have them so will not respond appropriately.

Your description of your preferred riding position is Dutch, which makes a Gazelle a good bet.

Hub gears are better in traffic and require next to no maintenance.

Bear in mind it is late in the bicycle selling season, so your choice will be partly governed by what's available.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There are helmets available with indicator lights built in, activate by wireless switch on handlebars.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Without trying to sound like a scratched record, the Crossfire-e will handle your commute easily, I too have the same distance and have to rush home 2 days a week of the 5, to pick up on school run, never once let me down. It'll also be as quick as any of the (restricted) bikes you have listed, There's no need to spend £3k, by the time you have worn out the crossfire-e they'll be the next gen bikes out with half the size batteries and twice the range, regen etc, and a whole lot lighter

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Does the Raleigh only come with hub gears? Is the nexus 8 recommended? I thought the Alfine 8 was considered better.

Hows Raleigh quality compared with Kalhoff generally? The Raleigh sits price wise between the B9/B10. Kalhoff have Bosch performance line motor compared to Raleigh with active line.
.. the slightly cheaper Motus has dereilliur and there is a more expensive one with hub gears. . Last year they were listed at the same price but now I think the hub geared one is 200 extra. The bosch active line motor is fine for ordinary commuting in my opinion. A nice feature of the Bosch's is that because the front cog is so small it is easier for them to protect the chain from throuser legs ...
It's a well Speced bike very suitable for in town use .. the high Dutch type stance works well and gives good visibility. Has mudguards, lights and a lock included. .. if it were a car it would be a golf diesel... Reliable, sturdy , comfortable but not a sports car.
I have one since last October and am very happy with it. .. the only glitch is I have noted that two screws on mudguards have a bit of rust on them. My suggestion is to go for the unisex version. .. easier and I think safer in traffic.
I cannot compare it with other similar priced bikes like the cubes or the Kalkoff, but would assume that they have similar construction. If you look closely at a number of the Bosch bikes, they look to have identical frames

I would be with d8veh, that you don't need top of the line 6 miles is not far and 2k is enough or more than enough to spend. The sweet spot cash wise is probably at 1500 for good reliability so going to 2k is starting to buy luxury... But hey it's your money.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Retyred1

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
I've just bought a Kalkhoff Pro Connect B10 and it's a nice bike with no faults that I can see. I like the fact that it comes with an adjustable handlebar stem, which others did not. Most if these Bosch bikes have similar equipment to be honest and it's just a matter of finding one that suits.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In London, they'll nick even a £5 QR skewer or a £20 saddle if you leave your bike in a public place.
the battery locks on most e-bikes are quite flimsy. I wouldn't want to leave a £500-£700 battery advertising a £3k bike for long.
I would suggest you look at bikes with in-frame battery.
At a cursory look, they don't shout I am electric.

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
- Cube Dehli Hybrid 500 (Bosch cx, nuvinci n330)
- Cube Dehli Hybrid 500 Pro (Bosch cx, nuvinci n380 auto)
- Cube touring sl 500 hybrid (bosch cx, shimano xt derailler, xt hydraulics, fixed raised handlebars, 23kg)

What else should I consider.
I'd like you to take a look at our Roller and let me know what you think.