Looking like the Woosh Krieger will do it for me - any thoughts?

pushuphill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Hi All,

Could you sense check my research?

I want to start cycling to work and back, it's about 5 miles each way. I've tried to get into doing this using a standard cycle but I never keep it up. A big reason is on the way to work there's a long laborious climb and on the way back there's real sod of a steep climb (yes, there is a dip in the middle).

I don't want to spend a fortune in case an e-bike becomes a passing fad but if it doesn't I want to be riding something that will stand the test of time.

The e-bike world is completely new to me and packed with unfamiliar brands.

Woosh Krieger seems to fit the bill. Some of the info on the website isn't consistent which doesn't help the decision making process. Some more about me:
  • c.92Kg - could do with losing a bit of weight
  • 5' 11" - don't you love people who mix metric and imperial?
  • Dodgy back and knees - but still have my smile
  • Late 50's - Ugh, that's the first time I've typed that anywhere

So:

• Would this e-bike be a good fit for my needs?
  • Is the 15AH battery a good long term option (especially if I get the cycling bug and want to venture a bit further afield)?
  • Is the spring saddle post a worthwhile investment?
Lastly, any experiences to share about the 2017 model or longer term use?

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello pushuphill,

thank you for looking into the Krieger for your commute. I think it would suit your requirements but for those who knew of the 2015-2016 Krieger, the 2017 Krieger has several specification changes.

1. fitted with gear shift sensor
2. available with 13AH, 15AH and 17AH battery
3. Suntour NEX suspension fork
4. Tougher puncture resist tyres
5. New larger LCD
6. front 180mm Avid disc, rear 160mm Avid disc
7. Axa suspension seat post
8. 7-speed, previously of 8-speed.
9. thumb throttle, leather grips

gear sensor:

larger LCD, the throttle is now on the right:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks,

OK for my height? The web page for this model has conflicting height information.
yes, excellent fit for your height.
The frame size (from bottom bracket to top of seat tube) is 45cm, 18 inches.
For riders under 5ft8, we fit a non suspended seat post, for riders over 6ft, we change the seat post to 40cm.
You can also adjust the stem vertically about 10cm and angle to suit your riding stance.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

pushuphill

Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Thanks. We seem to be doing our pre-sales discussion here. :) What about these questions:

• Is the 15AH battery a good long term option (especially if I get the cycling bug and want to venture a bit further afield)?
Any Kreiger owners out there who would like to comment on their experience with the bike?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is the 15AH battery a good long term option (especially if I get the cycling bug and want to venture a bit further afield)?
Most customers report about 50 mile range with the 15AH battery. The 17AH is better, weighing the same, but costs you £50 more and gives you extra 10 miles. You pay for the capacity.

Is the spring saddle post a worthwhile investment?
The Krieger is supplied already with an AXA sprung seat post, it's a pretty good one, no real mileage to replace it with a more expensive one.
If you suffer from chronic back pain, consider a trapezoidal suspension post like the Thudbuster or Suntour SP12 NCX. They move your body horizontally when you ride over bumps instead of up/down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=suntour+sp12+ncx

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I really like the look of the Krieger.

I'm around 100kgs. My battery's 11.6ah (I think) and it's plenty for me. Mid 50's and at least one dodgy knee. If I'm lazy and leave in in high, I can still usually get 40 miles out of a charge.

Gaz

pushuphill

Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Cheers, Gaz.

I phoned woosh last week to clarify a few things and i'm going for a Kreiger. It seems to have the combination of features, cost and seller reputation that i'm looking for. Going for the 17AH battery.

Good news it's going to be my birthday present.
Less good news that's not until mid-September.

pushuphill

Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Hi,

One for Woosh. My wife phoned on Friday but a Woosh rep. suggested that a Big Bear might be better. She didn't have my weight to hand (said I wasn't fat but not slim*) but otherwise gave info. pretty much the same as mine above.

Slightly confused about which way to go...

Am I on the borderline with either model? Could you do a quick pros/cons comparison for my build etc?

*My mother loves me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
*My mother loves me.
good morning pushuphill,

The Krieger is limited to 14st/15st whereas the Big Bear is suitable for higher weight.

Tony

bigbobwolves

Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
Hi I am 20 stone and had a £500 ebike for a year after knee ops and it has got me about fine, the 250w rear hub has poor torque but will get up 1 in 8 hills with very light peddling but not fast maybe 6 mph, for more torque you need expensive to buy and maintain mid drive bike at £1500 starting price, or go for 1000w not allowed on the road but who's going to notice path, but to answer your question yes there are bikes that will do what you want, I recommend Halfords as you can have 15 minute test rides and full warranty, the £1000 MTB is very good but they have £600 sit up and beg options too.

Woosh Krieger seems to fit the bill. Some of the info on the website isn't consistent which doesn't help the decision making process. Some more about me:
  • c.92Kg - could do with losing a bit of weight
  • 5' 11" - don't you love people who mix metric and imperial?
  • Dodgy back and knees - but still have my smile
  • Late 50's - Ugh, that's the first time I've typed that anywhere

So:

• Would this e-bike be a good fit for my needs?
Lastly, any experiences to share about the 2017 model or longer term use?[/QUOTE]

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would this e-bike be a good fit for my needs?
yes.

Is the 15AH battery a good long term option (especially if I get the cycling bug and want to venture a bit further afield)?
The 17AH battery is better. It has the latest cells but costs you £50.

Is the spring saddle post a worthwhile investment?
Only you can tell. The bike is quite comfortable like it is, with front suspension and sprung seat post.

Lastly, any experiences to share about the 2017 model or longer term use?
The 2017 Krieger is a refinement of the 2016 Krieger. The power has been dialled down a little through the change from 8-speed to 7-speed gears.