Looking to buy an ebike!

Kenji

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2017
Leeds
Hi there, one of the main reasons I registered here is to seek advice on purchasing an ebike.

I have a budget of £1000 but I am willing to stretch to £1200. My main use would be commuting 16 miles per day with plenty of hills, secondary use would be deliveroo or similar once or twice a week.

I've had a look at the Carrera Crossfire-E but have seen mixed reviews on those. What other options would I have in this price range?

Many thanks!

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hi there, one of the main reasons I registered here is to seek advice on purchasing an ebike.

I have a budget of £1000 but I am willing to stretch to £1200. My main use would be commuting 16 miles per day with plenty of hills, secondary use would be deliveroo or similar once or twice a week.

I've had a look at the Carrera Crossfire-E but have seen mixed reviews on those. What other options would I have in this price range?

Many thanks!
maybe this

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-pro-400

Kenji

Aug 7, 2017
Leeds
Thanks for the input guys, I really like the look of the Cube one! I'll see if there is anymore input, i'll be looking to purchase tomorrow

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for the input guys, I really like the look of the Cube one! I'll see if there is anymore input, i'll be looking to purchase tomorrow
Remember this is a 400 battery, there are 500 options, I guessing that if you cycle 16 miles a day you will have battery to spare but you may have to recharge everyday for the next 16 mile ride, if you are riding in turbo mode.

Kenji

Aug 7, 2017
Leeds
Remember this is a 400 battery, there are 500 options, I guessing that if you cycle 16 miles a day you will have battery to spare but you may have to recharge everyday for the next 16 mile ride, if you are riding in turbo mode.
Yes, I don't intend on using the motor on the route back as it is all down hill. i'll be plugging it in whenever it is at home.

I have a test ride on another Bosch bike tomorrow, not the Cube unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It would be good practice anyway to recharge every day. Less extreme on the battery so should prolong life

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
? There is no top speed, do you mean motor cut off?

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Yes, it's about 20% flat 80% uphill
The reason I point this out is the implication that battery life will be increased because it's downhill on the way back. The amount you gain from this is more than offset by what you lose on the way there. Sorry .......

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Top speed is 15mph then the motor cuts off.
There is no top speed limitation, I hit 50 kmhr downhill on a non dongled Bosch motored Raliegh Motus. Of course the motor was not assisting above 26.9kmhr.
Approx 15.5mph.
It starts to get scary at those speeds and what if scenarios start to play out . Skid, rut, car wrong side etc.

The point about the battery does not make sense, going uphill consumes battery energy as work is being done . You don't get that energy back going downhill. At best you have zero consumption downhill

However if you look at the predicted range on the Bosch display, it will give an optimistic range , after a downhill run, because it's calculating distance travelled in the last few minutes and comparing it to battery consumption over the same interval. My car does the same thing, so it sometimes tells me my range has increased after I have done 50 miles of motorway, if my previous driving was urban.

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Having made the same point ref the battery I re read the OP's post and they were talking about not charging the battery at work as it would not be used much on the way back - which makes more sense.

Kenji

Aug 7, 2017
Leeds
Yes, I am aware that these do not have any sort of regen in them. I also know that you can go faster, I was talking about motor cutting off...