Loose power connectors

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

The power on my bike suddenly cut out when I twisted the throttle and wouldn't restart. I noticed this happened a few times on previous rides after I fitted the new controller, but it had started.

I opened up the area housing the wires and noticed the 3 power connections (yellow, green and blue) kept coming lose. Once connected I tested the throttle and bike works, but when I try to squeeze the wires into the case before securing the lid, power goes and they get disconnected again.

What should I do to stop them from coming loose?

Many thanks

Urbanpuma

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hiya , those are not power cables but the motor phase wires

Those bullet connectors are rubbish. I've had plenty of issues over the years

I took to simply remove the connectors and soldering direct. If you really want to be able to disconnect then solder on some better connectors ( xt60, Anderson etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cwah

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
For an immediate , keep it simple solution, try giving the bullets a bit of squeeze with a set of pliers once connected up. And then using electrical tape to further keep them together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Ah, thanks for making me aware of the correct name for the wires Kirstin. I'll try the pliers first and if I'm still having problems, then I'll purchase the items suggested here and take to local bike shop to solder.

Thank you everyone.

Urbanpuma

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As mentioned use MT60's when problems arise if you have soldering skills.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I tightened the connectors with pliers yesterday and everything worked - enjoyed a lovely ride in the sun. Thanks again for your helpful comments folks :)

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi all,

The power on my bike suddenly cut out when I twisted the throttle and wouldn't restart. I noticed this happened a few times on previous rides after I fitted the new controller, but it had started.

I opened up the area housing the wires and noticed the 3 power connections (yellow, green and blue) kept coming lose. Once connected I tested the throttle and bike works, but when I try to squeeze the wires into the case before securing the lid, power goes and they get disconnected again.

What should I do to stop them from coming loose?

Many thanks

Urbanpuma
Have you tried dialectric paste? Looks like babies bum petroleum jelly but conducts current well and keeps the contacts watertight as well. Cheap on Ebay for 50gm tin that will last forever. Mind you I soldered my wires....remembering to slide on suitable heat shrink beforehand. I found my bullet power wires got hot enough to soften the plastic on them, showing how poor bullets are! Never had problems since.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Have you tried dialectric paste? Looks like babies bum petroleum jelly but conducts current well and keeps the contacts watertight as well. Cheap on Ebay for 50gm tin that will last forever. Mind you I soldered my wires....remembering to slide on suitable heat shrink beforehand. I found my bullet power wires got hot enough to soften the plastic on them, showing how poor bullets are! Never had problems since.
Hi Charliefox,

I'll keep this in mind as I did notice the plastic had softened. Thank you.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Have you tried dialectric paste? Looks like babies bum petroleum jelly but conducts current well and keeps the contacts watertight as well.
I searched "dialectric paste" on ebay and got results for silicone grease.
Is "dialectric paste" the same as plumbers silicone grease? I've got a small tub of that I use on the shower sliding door.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I found my bullet power wires got hot enough to soften the plastic on them, showing how poor bullets are!
The cheap and nasty bullet connectors made from soft steel are god damn awful. Propper RC bullet connectors are extremely reliable and won't cause any problems.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
The cheap and nasty bullet connectors made from soft steel are god damn awful. Propper RC bullet connectors are extremely reliable and won't cause any problems.
Where can you get those? Been using those red plastic ones and they are just crap, need crimped together every time you unplug

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For battery supply I use either XT60 or use RC Gold 4mm banana bullets, replacing the controller connectors. With MT60 on the phase, the connections are much better and secure all round.
The male part of the banana bullet is sprung/expanded so grips nicely when pushed in also the solder end has a rotating bezel to prevent wire breakage.
All items on ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon4