lots of hate out there

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
To be fair that seemed to be one person moaning and buy the sound of it had never been on or any where near a emtb.Im afraid people just dont know what they are genuinely like.I love mine gets me out alot more than a normal bike.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I've always found the bikers I meet think it's good I am getting out on a bike and not sitting in front of the TV.

Perhaps a younger person may not have the same response, advantage to the aged or we have a nicer group of people in these parts.

Reactions: 4bound and oldtom

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Liked the link.....funny comments. I'm nearly always given a nod & a hi by bikers.

Reactions: Sarabee
I've just read most of it and honestly that's one of the most supportive ebike threads I've read on a mainstream MTB forum. There is a lot of understanding on there, and the OPs points are flagged up as being pretty much nonsense.

Things have improved a lot over the past 2 years, and I could go into many of the reasons for that... but essentially that is pretty good, and positive.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Apart from other ebikers, my experience of meeting other cyclists is that I am generally ignored. As I'm usually over friendly (and not in any lycra etc) then they probably just thing I'm a bit mad/eccentric! Having said that, I generally find that women cyclists are much more inclined to share a "Hi" as you meet/pass.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have been a competitive cyclist for thirty years but after turning fifty i found that the enjoyment was going out of it for me.The e-bike replaced what i had lost and now i wouldn`t go back.
Most of the haters are young and don`t realise how strength decreases with age and a little help goes a long way.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any anti feeling I've come across has been from the mamil's mainly local club riders.They just don't get it and think cheating is wrong but shut up once you mention Lance or even a few others who have used the exemption ticket. Recently one particular rider (probably their Alpha male) kept up with me and tried to needle me but he failed miserably as eventually he gave up as I wizzed off in my non lycra gear and walking boots.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Its inevitable that as e-bikes become more and more accepted as they have, the remaining haters are the most extreme in their views.

Another way of saying they are the lunatic fringe.
I don't think they would be 'remainers' though.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Kettles warming up on the stove, tin baths and a toilet right up the back garden! Been there, done that. Ain't going back! :confused:

Ebikes Pfft! Some of those whiners don't know they're born. I'll bet that many are from the generation that, when sent to their rooms for misbehaving, were gutted to have to stay in there. With only a PC or laptop, cable or satellite tv, a colour tv, hi-fi, and their own phones. Texting all their mates with "I'm grounded!" :oops:

Let em whine! It's all publicity, good or bad. It's just the fact that many have OCD and feel that everyone must suffer, as they do. Or, prove their athleticism by going equally as fast as them. Hence, suffering appropriately.

If you can't do that, then you must be cheating. Or, tearing up the countryside. Another crock of sugar! In my opinion as a cross country ebiker. First off, I rarely see other bikes going where I go. Especially when it's muddy. It's just too much hard work for regular bikers. Secondly, those that try, leave as much of a trail as anybody else. Trail erosion is another figment of extreme imaginations. What next? Noise pollution! :p

The internet. It'll never catch on! :D

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apart from other ebikers, my experience of meeting other cyclists is that I am generally ignored. As I'm usually over friendly (and not in any lycra etc) then they probably just thing I'm a bit mad/eccentric! Having said that, I generally find that women cyclists are much more inclined to share a "Hi" as you meet/pass.
I rather like the idea that I might also seem mad/eccentric...[emoji625]

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As i stated on the other thread being an ex-poacher (I am now too old to run off) i have always been a cheat and class the comment as a "badge of honour".
Cheat, opportunist, entrepeneur, high achiever.

Choose the description to position where you'd like your status in society to be. ;)

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
As i stated on the other thread being an ex-poacher (I am now too old to run off) i have always been a cheat and class the comment as a "badge of honour". I am typing this on a wireless keyboard, whatever next .
A wireless policeman is on his way to your residence right now for a cosy little chat which will be faithfully recorded, both sound and film, on a wireless device he will pull out of a pocket.

Tom

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Being of a certain age I remember when punk rock first hit the scene and the radio 1 jocks of the day (with the honorable exception of John Peel who always played the most obscure s--t he could get his hands on), said that it would never catch on and they would never play it..........
The rest as they say is history.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing