Magura HS-11 Advice - Brake Pad Replacement

nskellern

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 26, 2019
Hi Folks - Your Guidance is appreciated!

I have a 4 years old Kalkhoff Tasman that I use for my daily commute. After 7500 Km it was the right time to replace the brake pads.

I got a set of original black replacement pads and turned the lever adjustment screw back out to the stop.

I used the quick release to replace front and back pads without any issues. The other sides were also replaced without any need for height adjustment on the existing rims.

The problem I have now is that the pads are binding the rims front and back with the levers at their outmost adjustment.

I followed the manufacture instructions but can't find a way to back the pads away from the rim. Did I miss something?

Both rims and Magura components are existing on the bike, the only change is the pads, like for like.

Really appreciate any advice, I'm literally stuck!!

All the best
Nick

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have you over-adjusted the levers? If you go too far, you jam the break on. Try winding them in a bit.

nskellern

Feb 26, 2019
It's a good point and I'm not sure. The instructions said to back out the lever screw to the end stop before replacement so I did. If it tighten it to the right should this move the new pads off the rim to start with?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There needs to be a bit of freeplay in the lever. Turn the adjusting s rew the opposite way to the way that moved the lever out.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I understand your problem, since I changed mine it is rubbing too. I am going to get the Torx key out and start from scratch because the usual procedure isn't working. I only got 6500 km from mine but that is normal - I am in the Basque country :)

nskellern

Feb 26, 2019
Thanks for your support and wish you good luck! Front brakes are rubbing but the rear is almost jammed solid. I haven't read too much about bleeding thses brakes but I though pad replacement was fairly simple given the fact that they we all ready on the bike. Any future help or insight is most welcome.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks for your support and wish you good luck! Front brakes are rubbing but the rear is almost jammed solid. I haven't read too much about bleeding thses brakes but I though pad replacement was fairly simple given the fact that they we all ready on the bike. Any future help or insight is most welcome.
You don't bleed those brakes. Ever! You need to adjust them.

Advertisers