Magura hydraulic brake cut-off switch

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
3rd time lucky - worked fine. Except now I have a severed motor lead / cable, so I think my motor is defunkt or will need repairing.

I recommend this if anyone is fitting these by the way - explained why the new insert and olive slipped over each other unlike the pairings which came with the original switch for some reason :

magura marta brakes: issue with fitting olive, hose cutting issue

All these delays over getting parts and lots of work pressure = working late and cutting corners. Tried to lift the bike up and test rather than invert with my newly bled brakes (instead of putting the bike on a stand).

Bl**dy expensive mistake I think. Just as well I'm away tomorrow. Pretty p!ssed off with the repeated setbacks. This bike is gonna wind up costing me a few hundred more than I bargained on I think. Better start saving !

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Just an update on this - switch has worked flawlessly after the initial issues installing, which were basically down to insufficient experience. Recommended.

Reactions: Arbol

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Just a heads up.
I've have gone through at least 3 or 4 of these switches over the last 2 or 3 years. Best not to cut the wires but to fit some connectors from Maplins that fit the connector on the switch, also if you suddenly find your motor is intermittent or stops all together you will need to either unplug cut or unsolder the wires. They won't swap out a faulty switches with damaged wires they wouldn't swap mine anyway YMMV. Shimano brake fluid I think is the culprit .. not a lot you can do about that if you have Shimano brakes I guess.
Since going to Hope M4's brakes my switches seem to have been ok with the dot4 or what ever it is oil.

Rich

D

Deleted member 4366

You're supposed to use mineral oil, not DOT4. DOT4 attacks the seals and /renders the switch U/S.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D

Deleted member 4366

Dot 4 is only a problem for the Magura switch. you don't have one do you?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
No I have the xtech zoom one. Wouldn't that be a problem too?