Maintenance, Care and Service of electric component

timswimuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 13, 2013
Hello all

I've just recently registered to the forum after purchasing a snazzy second hand electric bike (AVE), this uses the BOSCH crank drive system,

Now,

Having bought it second hand, I've no real support or advice on caring for the bike,
Obviously most of the parts can be maintained as part of usual bike maintenance, so I'm getting myself booked onto a few bike maintenance courses....

But,
Is there any advice on taking best care of the electric system on the bike?

Here are some questions which come to mind:
1) Is there anything I can personally do to help increase longevity and efficiency of the system?

2) I wondered, when connecting up the battery and computer after having removed them - it had meanwhile been raining - should I for example make sure the electric terminals are as dry as possible (drying with towel, for example) before connecting the battery and computer, or does something like this not really matter?

3) Are there specific bike stores which 'service' the electric part of the bike, should this be done something like once a year or any such recommendation? What is it these trained people will actually do to help the bike? Or perhaps the electric systems are so sturdy that such a service isn't necessary?

4) What would be the signs that the crank drive system does need some attention by someone trained in the field? For example what are the most common problems....

Any general advice would be great, and BOSCH specific advice even better,

Many thanks for any help you are able to give :)

~
Tim

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Hi
And welcome to the forum, your general bike maintenence is just common sense really, yeah dry it off before reconnecting ect, keep the chain lubricated correctly ect.loads of videos on you tube for general stuff.
Cant help with any specific advice on crank due to never owned one. Sure someone will come along soon and point you in the right direction on that point.

D

Deleted member 4366

The electric bits don't really need any maintenance. Try not to get your bike any wetter than you have to, and don't run down the battery and leave it like that. You also get a bit more power if you keep your batty topped up rather than run it to empty. There's been some problems with the crank making popping noises on some Bosch motors,which is solved by adding a bit of grease inside. If it happens to you, there's Youtube videos on how to sort it. The rest of the stuff is the same as any bike.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
In the context of this thread. Do electric cycle motors accumulate dust etc that needs to be periodically cleaned/blown out.

I don't know if this is also required, but one thing that I do in relation to the battery, is keep it warm indoors when not in use. Not sure if you would call that maintenance, but it does seem to make a difference to batteries on my cordless power tools.

One aspect of maintenance that I was advised about on the BH, was to periodically check that the torque sensing bolts are tightened to the correct setting and haven't worked loose.

I would also presume that regular checking of wire connections would also be on the maintenance list.

Last edited:

timswimuk

Dec 13, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for all of your responses so far,

And in response to one of the answers, about keeping it as dry as possible,

I'm assuming it's okay to give the bike a light hose down, even all over whilst cleaning the bike, but I will first check that all of the bolts around the casing of the crank drive are secure and that none of them are loose, and that a light hose down is okay but definitely to avoid high pressure water flow.... and to dry the bike off after too.

I'm assuming this kind of routine in order to clean the bike is okay and that I don't need to obsessively avoid pointing the low pressure garden hose at the motor part of the bike, but please inform me if such care does need to be taken :)

Sorry if these are repetitive, boring or general knowledge questions just want to tap into as much experience in this area as possible so that I can get things right first time :)

Many thanks again,

~Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These crank motor systems are generally quite well waterproofed so no special precautions are necessary. I've ridden a Kalkhoff with the similar Panasonic crank motor unit completely immersed in deep flood water without any problems, then or subsequently, other than soaking wet feet.

So a low pressure hose should cause no problems other than perhaps causing the chain to need re-lubrication.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Tim,

Some good advice above from Flecc there.
The crank drive systems are pretty bullet proof.
My article here may be worth a read - <SEO link removed by admin>

Remember if you look after your eBike, then your eBike will look after you.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

timswimuk

Dec 13, 2013
Hi Martin,

If there's any way of email or messaging your article link to me, please go ahead as I'd like to read it :)

~
Tim