Mechty aye

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Primarily, I have a long history of off roading on both two wheels and four. I currently have a full suspension mountain bike (Santa Cruz Superlight) and a hardtail (On one Scandal). Based in Edinburgh Scotland, I do regular night rides in the winter and longer weekend rides including bike packing in the highlands in the Summer. As anno domini is rapidly catching me up I decided on my 70th birthday that I deserve an E MTB. The use will be essentially trail riding/cross country with occasional bike packing weekends as before. Most E mtb seem to feature more suspension travel than I really need, my current full sus has a 100mm fork (Rockshox Reba Team) and that is plenty for me. The other issue for me is range. I test rode a Scott E genius and found on a typical ride I was not out of eco mode, so my plan was to find a suitable steed with plenty gears (22) to assist the motor (90nm) and not labour the battery, a big battery (650W) to last the distance. For tyres/wheels I have opted for 29ers, much as I like fat tyres and they are surprisingly good for trecking, they are however a bit of a faff to repair punctures. 29ers give me a similar comfy rolling radius with more accurate steering and it is easier to fix punctures in the middle of nowhere. Time will tell if my choice is correct however I now have only two weeks until I pick up my bike in Germany on my way to Spain for some February trail riding.
I have found the forum helpful and I would like to thank those who have contributed.

Tom

PS Mechty Aye: roughly means Oh yes in the Doric, the dialect of the North East of Scotland, teuchters will understand ;-)

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome to a new loon

Reactions: Tom Rae