MINI Folding Bike

catsnapper

Pedelecer
I think its worth spending an extra couple of hundred though if you get a decent bike that rides more comfortably rather than spending £250 on something from Taiwan. £450-£500 is my absolute limit tho, I just couldn't spend the crazy £800+ prices Dahon and other brands command for similar spec bikes.
I don't know if you've looked at the custom Dahons that CH White build, or if any would be suitable for you, but if not the link is here:https://sslrelay.com/s75353868.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn154efec74ddecb6/shopdata/index.shopscript
Go to product overview then Custom built. They're built with better parts than the standard Dahons, and often much cheaper.

Alan

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hi Morphix

As a follow up to my last post, I just looked up the costs of the last folder I built using a TT frame from C H White.
Using and Alfine 8spd hub, Sugino cranks, Avid Digit 7 brakes and other decent branded parts it came out just under £500.

Alan

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi Morphix

As a follow up to my last post, I just looked up the costs of the last folder I built using a TT frame from C H White.
Using and Alfine 8spd hub, Sugino cranks, Avid Digit 7 brakes and other decent branded parts it came out just under £500.

Alan
That's very good. I can't seem to find the TT frame on CH White, but its certainly an alternative option to Downtube as I want something simple and light as possible..probably single gear.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I had a few varieties of the S2. Fortunately only one was a bit iffy, but a minor rebuild and adjustment cured it.

I like the Automatix, but the appeal of the 2spd Patterson crank is it's ability to keep the correct chainline with an alfine hub (135mm OLD). On a frame that would normally only take a max 32t chainring at that alignment, it allows an effective 45t in top with an actual 28t ring.
With a front or rear motor it gives a decent 2spd range for unassisted or assisted pedaling, if the top gear is set to around 75"
Re the S2C maybe its just my technique though I have now done over 500 miles on it. The problem is sometimes it locks up and sometimes it changes gear when coasting or slips in and out of low and high after changing.

The patterson crank looks interesting, but I want to stick with the belt drive on the TSR2. There is another variant of the thwo speed main crank (I forget its name) that I have seen where you tap the middle of the crank to change gear. Very expensive though and needs the bb reaming on the edge which seems complicated to fit.

As you say around 74" top is the most comfortable for me and as I said the TSR 70" top is a little wild spinning when you go over 18mph :(

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

catsnapper

Pedelecer
Hi Jerry,

Schlumpf is probably the crank system you're thinking of.

Belt drive will be my next set of toys:p I've been waiting for the latest Phil Wood parts to become available as they suit my potential setup.

I'm fortunate to have a few customers that want highly customised belt drive bikes whatever the cost(almost!), so I can justify some experimental playing first.

Alan

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Same site as above, but go to Dahon spares>Dahon Frames>20" Frames.

Alan
Thanks Alan, I was searching instead of browsing by category.. duh. I found him now. No pix showing, but I can look up pix of the bike elsewhere to see it. What parts will I be tied to Dahon for if I go for this frame?

Paul

catsnapper

Pedelecer
What parts will I be tied to Dahon for if I go for this frame?

Paul
Forks, handlebar post and seatpost - although I've fitted wider carbon forks, and other seatposts are available.

I stock/build 20" wheels with Sun Ringle rims, Dahon or Brompton narrow hubs for the 80mm dropout standard forks, or whatever hubs are required, at a rather higher quality level than the average Dahon wheel:)
I've often got a lot of other good parts that are either new or removed from display or film set bikes at good prices. Always worth checking.

The full bike: Speed Pro TT | Dahon Global

Alan

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
if anyone is interested in purchasing one I've a couple left in stock at a very good price for forum members. They're designed for 120mm dropouts, but come complete with spacers for 130mm. I've also used them spaced to 135mm.
Gear ratios: 1:1 and 1:1.37, Weight is 980gms.
Just to publicly thank Alan for selling me one of these hubs. I have made some great contacts on this forum and have now added Alan who is a top guy who really knows his bikes. He was patient with me exchanging many emails about bikes in general and giving some great advice on building wheels. He also cuts a nice set of spokes at a good price :p

The flange on the hub is quite slim, so this is my first build using washers to space out the spoke ends and my first build weaving spokes.

Much as I initially liked the S/A S2C, I found the kick back gear change unpredictable and awkward when you come to a stop.

The SRAM Automatix is a ride and forget unit, changing automatically when you reach a certain speed in my case around 7.5mph with the TSR2 20" wheels. The coaster back pedal brake is also very good and I think smoother when applied than the S2C.

Its interesting that these hubs have re-emerged, having been discontinued back in the 70s but now being relaunched in their updated more modern form.

If you don't have a lot hills then they make perfect maintenance free additions for an ebike.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
PS More details here about the A2 if you are interested.

Regards

Jerry