Moke e-Bike - 250W, 500W or 1000W?

anatoly

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2017
UK
Hi,

I am thinking about getting one of these 2-seater moke e-bikes, with the main goal of taking my kids to school up the hill. Don't really need the speed, just for the bike to be able to take me up the hill with a child.

I am torn between the road-legal 250W option and the more powerful 500W and 1000W options. Unfortunately the bike only ships in July, so I cannot test drive it. The price is the same, however I understand that the running costs will differ a lot.

Is there anyone in this forum who calculated the real cost per year of legally owning an S-Pedelec?

I understand the requirements are to get it registered, pay road tax and insurance. How much does it add up to? Is it similar to owning a 125cc scooter minus the fuel?

Also, has anyone tried riding up a hill with a primary school child in a child seat on a 250W bike?

If I go for the 250W option and later find out that it's not enough, how much of a deal is it to change the hub motor?

Thanks in advance for any input!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If it was a real 250watt motor it would seriously struggle with two people on a hill. However most bikes are rated as 250 but run at much higher levels.
The power is controlled by the controller which drives the current.
The bike probably has the same motor and controller but different settings.
D8veh can explain about soldering the shunt to fool the controller into giving more current. Digital displays can usually be reprogrammed to run higher current too. if you know the secret button press order.
Lots of legal bikes could do it.
Try some test rides and don't pedal hard:eek: if it pull you up a hill easy a smaller child won't make much difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

It won't be easy to register one of those in the UK. For that, you need a Type Approval certificate. I doubt that they have type approval.

anatoly

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2017
UK
It won't be easy to register one of those in the UK. For that, you need a Type Approval certificate. I doubt that they have type approval.
Would I need type approval certificate even for the 250W option?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would I need type approval certificate even for the 250W option?
If it's restricted to a maximum of 15.5 mph motor assist, no, you could ride it as a pedelec. If it assisted at over 15.5 mph, you'll need to type approve it and register it as an L1e-B moped. That means number plate, insurance, suitable driving licence and compulsory helmet.

anatoly

Just Joined
Mar 10, 2017
UK
If it was a real 250watt motor it would seriously struggle with two people on a hill. However most bikes are rated as 250 but run at much higher levels.
The power is controlled by the controller which drives the current.
The bike probably has the same motor and controller but different settings.
D8veh can explain about soldering the shunt to fool the controller into giving more current. Digital displays can usually be reprogrammed to run higher current too. if you know the secret button press order.
Lots of legal bikes could do it.
Try some test rides and don't pedal hard:eek: if it pull you up a hill easy a smaller child won't make much difference.
Thanks D8ve!