Momentum Upstart for 9 mile commute

Boneidle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2017
London
Has anyone out there tried an Upstart or better own one, There is no shop near me to get a test, Looks nice and simple with the 2 speed auto gearbox, and at 18.5kg I could manage to carry it up stairs to my workplace. Not to many hills to worry about just concerned that I will be stuck with the 15mph due to the bafang front hub motor. I commute on a single speed I often hit 20mph, but its no fun against the wind and its not appealing after a day at work. Is this a good bike for me or would it be better to get a bike I could unrestricted to 20mph.

Any help appreciated I'm stuck

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not the motor that restricts the speed. It's the controller. I don't know if there's any way to derestrict it. Nobody has posted anything here, so you'd be on your own. If you want 20 mph, it would be better to stick with a bike that you know can do it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Good morning boneidle,

if you can hit 20mph on your normal bike then you can go as fast as that on most lightweight e-bikes.
The motor will cutout when you hit the legal assist limit but it will flatten hills and fight headwinds for you, you will arrive still faster and fresher than otherwise.
20 miles a day is very doable, any bike with a 13AH (400WH) battery will do.
From my bikes, if you like lightweight, the Karoo may be worth a look.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Boneidle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2017
London
Good morning boneidle,

if you can hit 20mph on your normal bike then you can go as fast as that on most lightweight e-bikes.
The motor will cutout when you hit the legal assist limit but it will flatten hills and fight headwinds for you, you will arrive still faster and fresher than otherwise.
20 miles a day is very doable, any bike with a 13AH (400WH) battery will do.
From my bikes, if you like lightweight, the Karoo may be worth a look.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo
That was my first choice but alas you don't accept cycle2work vouchers

Ross_Dr

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2017
Southampton
Hi there,

Totally agree with the controller thing, usually the controller dictates what the motor hub is capable of, and if is capable of more wattage than it currently has then usually the LCD display will be the key to unlocking. With regards to a bike that is capable of at least 20 MPH consistently, im sure UK law states that the legal road speed limit is 15.5 miles per hour for an electric push bike. If you are set of a bike that will do that speed and be capable of it all the time have you looked at Cyclotricity bikes? they have a range of bikes that will cater for what you want if you are after some extra speed

Ross