More Battery talk (sorry folks)

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
We have a 21/2 year old Ezee 36v 10amh battery . Used fairly lightly for occaisional assistance by my wife.Terrain is undulating with a couple of steepish hills. Charge every time after use. (16 to 20 miles)
Recently going up the steep ones, pedalling as well, the battery lights go from green to orange and then quickly to red and the motor cuts out.
The battery charges up to 41.6 volts, each cell reads 4.2v. After 8 hours the reading is 41.5v. I did a test ride today, 1/2 mile circuit up a gentle climb and down again and measured the voltage. Each reading at the connector to the controller was 41.1,40.8,40.5,40.2,40.1 and a bit steeper 39.2,38.6. I then checked each cell, they read 3.9v. I turned the bike upside down and let it run at maximum until it stopped. The cell readings were 9 cells at 3.7v and one at 3.4 The reading on the connection to the controller was 25v and after an hour it had recovered to 35.1
Having bored you all with that could it be the bms is cutting out the power on the hills or the one cell at 3.4v.Possibly d8veh will have a suggestion but anyone who has thoughts please reply.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The BMS is going what it should, cutting power when any cell goes below 3.4v . That cell is either dead, or out of balance.

It may be recoverable. You need to charge it to match the others, then charge the entire pack. If it does the same thing (goes out of balance) then that cell is dead.

D

Deleted member 4366

The reason the output voltage went to 25v was because the BMS had shut off when that low cell reached LVC.

I would say that your battery is reaching the end of its life for whatever reason. If all the cells were over 4.15v when fully charged, there's nothing you can do. Your options are to re-cell or replace.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, that's my experience with these eZee batteries. Two and a half years running a powerful motor on occasionally steep hills is a satisfactory life. That battery life is generally only bettered with lower powered systems like some of the crank drives.

Reactions: RobF

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Thank you gentlemen, it's roughly what I expected the answer to be. I assume all the cells would need replacing, where would I access them if I went down that route. I take it the bms can stay.

D

Deleted member 4366

Morphix might have a complete cell-pack that would fit. Send him a message to see what he's got. Does your battery have the flat pouch cells or the block-shaped ones?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Agreed, that's my experience with these eZee batteries. Two and a half years running a powerful motor on occasionally steep hills is a satisfactory life. That battery life is generally only bettered with lower powered systems like some of the crank drives.
I've been wondering why my Bosch batteries have not suffered any noticeable drop in capacity.

So my slightly weedy crank drive is kinder to them.

Of course, the batteries will inevitably decline at some point, but I like it when things make sense.

Reactions: flapajack

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that's it Rob. Long ago Panasonic established this with very long battery lives on their lowish powered crank drives. Even as far back as 2003 when they had one of the first e-bikes ever to use lithium, their little e-folder Will model, the battery in that unstressed system lasted many years.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Yes, that's it Rob. Long ago Panasonic established this with very long battery lives on their lowish powered crank drives. Even as far back as 2003 when they had one of the first e-bikes ever to use lithium, their little e-folder Will model, the battery in that unstressed system lasted many years.
I'd seen your posts about Panasonic batteries lasting years, but never grasped the reason.

Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 4366

I beleve that means you have a separate BMS then, so you have the coice of reusing it.

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Been trying to contact Morphix but website will not load and cannot find email address.
Any one help please. I have stripped the battery pack, just hope if I re cell, it will all go back together ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

Try sending him a message (start a conversation) through this forum. He would then get an email telling him about the message.