More Tyre Worry

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre: 700c x 32mm Reflex Wired. HS 348, 32-622, Performance Line, SmartGuard

I bought these for winter riding and as they are a really stiff and solid tyre they were a right Dgs Bllx to fit. There are tools to make this job easy but they are workshop tools, not the sort of thing that is easily carried about.
I became a bit paranoid about doing a tube change away from home and took them off going back to the slicks that came with the bike, but I miss the feeling of security they gave me.
It took me two hours to but these on in the first place for two reasons..
1/ arthritis in my hand..
2/ the beads naturally spread quite wide so I couldn't get them to slot into the centre of the wheel and as i forced one bit over the rim another bit popped out so I was chasing it around the rim.
In the end I used a zip tie to keep one part in place whilst I levered the rest over the rim, but there must be an easier way without having to carry a large tool. (apart from myself that is..)

Reactions: mountainsport

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I would have thought two small light weight aluminium tyre levers,would do the job, also you could carry a tiny bottle with a little bit of neat washing up liquid,a bit smeared around the tyre rim,helps slip them on much easier.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyre: 700c x 32mm Reflex Wired. HS 348, 32-622, Performance Line, SmartGuard

I bought these for winter riding and as they are a really stiff and solid tyre they were a right Dgs Bllx to fit. There are tools to make this job easy but they are workshop tools, not the sort of thing that is easily carried about.
I became a bit paranoid about doing a tube change away from home and took them off going back to the slicks that came with the bike, but I miss the feeling of security they gave me.
It took me two hours to but these on in the first place for two reasons..
1/ arthritis in my hand..
2/ the beads naturally spread quite wide so I couldn't get them to slot into the centre of the wheel and as i forced one bit over the rim another bit popped out so I was chasing it around the rim.
In the end I used a zip tie to keep one part in place whilst I levered the rest over the rim, but there must be an easier way without having to carry a large tool. (apart from myself that is..)
Copied the tyre link from my Amazon account and the heavy font carried on with the rest of the post.[emoji41]

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go tubeless all you have to do is remove the valve and top up every 3 months ;)

there is also a indestructible system with pro core tho you cant do back flips of the garage roof with it :)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i agree 700x28 spec armadillos or 700x28 m plus are an absolute pig to fit or remove from narrow rims.
gubbins whats the x tool called please

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26" x 1.5" tyre's a couple of months back, there is a knack to fitting them, but I had no problems at all, and they were on in a matter of minutes, no tools required, just a couple of toe straps to help finish of the final bit.

Great tyre's and they do inspire confidence, like to have mine at 100psi so they roll really well.

Got mine from SpaCycles who have a good video on thier website, showing how to fit them.

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26" x 1.5" tyre's a couple of months back, there is a knack to fitting them, but I had no problems at all, and they were on in a matter of minutes, no tools required, just a couple of toe straps to help finish of the final bit.

Great tyre's and they do inspire confidence, like to have mine at 100psi so they roll really well.

Got mine from SpaCycles who have a good video on thier website, showing how to fit them.
I think it's easier on an mtb wheel if only because the rims are wide enough for the opposing bead to drop into the well. On my road wheels the gap is small and as the casings are rigid they naturally form to the outer rim.

D

Deleted member 4366

Marathon plus are great for puncture protection, but they don't have much else to recommend them unless you prefer long life over grip. Mine have done 4000 miles and it's difficult to see any wear at all, so the rubber must be hard as nails. I've slipped many times when I wouldn't normally have expected to. They're the last tyre I'd fit as a winter tyre. You need a tyre that grips, like Continental Top Contact, though you have to replace them every 6 months because the side-walls break up.

It's not too bad to fit MPs to MTB rims as long as you use the correct technique, but fitting them to Sun 18 Brompton rim is a completely different matter. You need serious levers for that. I guess that would apply to some other shallow rims.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Marathon plus are great for puncture protection, but they don't have much else to recommend them unless you prefer long life over grip. Mine have done 4000 miles and it's difficult to see any wear at all, so the rubber must be hard as nails. I've slipped many times when I wouldn't normally have expected to. They're the last tyre I'd fit as a winter tyre. You need a tyre that grips, like Continental Top Contact, though you have to replace them every 6 months because the side-walls break up.

It's not too bad to fit MPs to MTB rims as long as you use the correct technique, but fitting them to Sun 18 Brompton rim is a completely different matter. You need serious levers for that. I guess that would apply to some other shallow rims.
Your comments on grip... are they mtb or road?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The common or garden Marathon Plus tyre.
The reason I ask is marathon plus seems to be available as an MTB or as a Road Tyre, and whilst lack of grip is never a good thing, it can be a lot more painful on the road so was wondering if your experience with them is off or on road.
I have these on my road bike and they seem very grippy when I tested them by going down hill and applying the rear brake harder than normal to try to induce a skid.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007Y3FP06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

D

Deleted member 4366

That's the everlasting common or garden type that are noted for their lack of grip.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
That's the everlasting common or garden type that are noted for their lack of grip.
True....and also noted for their hard ride.Their only virtue is their protection against punctures which make them popular with commuters who have to ride littered city streets, but other than that they have little to recommend them. The difficulty in fitting them to road rims have made them legend which of course was the reason that Colin made the video of himself using toe-straps in fitting them.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Big Bens now exist in a "Plus" version with Green Guard puncture protection. There's a good reason to drop Marathons for you! Big Bens have very good grip (except when brand new as I unfortunately found out...) and are much more comfortable.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Big Bens now exist in a "Plus" version with Green Guard puncture protection. There's a good reason to drop Marathons for you! Big Bens have very good grip (except when brand new as I unfortunately found out...) and are much more comfortable.
Just googling... are they mtb only? Unable to find 700cx35 big ben +.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Informative