Most fun commute sought!

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
I'm looking for some advice on my first bike

I want to buy an ebike to do a 12mile each way commute (can charge when I'm there) but want the maximum legal grin factor I can get. I'm 12 stone, few hills in between home and work. I can pedal but am erring towards a hub currently. open to ideas.

I started looking at the cytronex as I love the look, but realise I can't get them on the cycle to work scheme, and following more research they seem a little underpowered compared to the latest bikes.

So now I'm looking at the the Kudos Tornado as my num 1 candidate, perhaps a KTM. I did look at the kudos tourer on special as its the sensible choice ;-) but am worried its too sensible and a plodder. I fancy a fast, free running bike that will climb hills easily and wizz down the other side. It sounds like some some bikes seem to assist to 15mph dead while others ease off from 15mph to around 17 which appeals more ;-)

I guess I'd need to get a seat pannier or some P Clips to fit a rack I have here already if I go for the Tornado or the KTM.

thoughts?

Last edited:

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
hi cottonpickers, I think the kudos tornado is a very good choice, from what I have found out over the last 3/4 weeks of research the king meter that comes on the kudos tornado has a setting so the motor assistance doesn't cut out until 40kmh (25mph). the 250w motor isn't powerful enough to get you to that on it own but it will still be assisting you that little bit extra. that's what I've been told anyway.

I was going for the cyclotricity revolver but have now decided to buy a decent bike and put the cyclotricity e-kit on it.

I bought a trek 4300 mountain bike off ebay for £250 (2012 model, £550 new) and paid £449 for the kit so my total was only £700 and I have an awesome strong lightweight frame. I shall be doing a review as soon as I have fitted it to my bike tomorrow. hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Kudos Tornado is a good choice. Its power is a good step above your average 250w motor. There's not a lot that can touch in terms of power for price. Another good choice is the Ezee Torq thats a very nice bike too ride despite its dated looks. Lastly, there's the new Woosh Big Bear that also has a high power motor for climbing, but nobody's tried one yet. It's cheaper than the Kudos and has a bigger battery. There's plenty more if you want to pay more, but you won't get any more power than these three.

Cottonpickers

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks both. I love the idea of a self-build (best of luck Ray -sounds a nice project), and maybe after the Tornado I might look in to that - would be great to get a nice road bike with a small lightweight motor and maybe a super small li-ion pack - actually I like the look of d8veh's motor in the classified section.

For now, I'm going to go with the Tornado. I have to wait a week or two before I can order :-(

So while I wait. I do have a couple more questions someone may be able to help with regarding the charger...

1. I'd like a spare for work. I can get the Kudos model , but can I get a cheaper one from elsewhere? smaller the better even if its slower charging. Would the BMS 42v lowest amp model suffice?

2. Why do the chargers put out 42v? I'm assuming they balance the pack every time they charge.. so why don't they put out closer to 4.2v? or 8.4v? My logic implies they don't balance every time... am I wrong on that?

3. I want to build a solar 'charging' station - do you think I need 42v regulated? (sort of linked to the above question...) or would a 'close' approximation be fine. My logic says that either the intelligence is in the battery pack where there is a balancing circuit.. or its in the charger...

D

Deleted member 4366

1. I'd like a spare for work. I can get the Kudos model , but can I get a cheaper one from elsewhere? smaller the better even if its slower charging. Would the BMS 42v lowest amp model suffice?

2. Why do the chargers put out 42v? I'm assuming they balance the pack every time they charge.. so why don't they put out closer to 4.2v? or 8.4v? My logic implies they don't balance every time... am I wrong on that?

3. I want to build a solar 'charging' station - do you think I need 42v regulated? (sort of linked to the above question...) or would a 'close' approximation be fine. My logic says that either the intelligence is in the battery pack where there is a balancing circuit.. or its in the charger...
1. The Kudos charger is pretty cheap I think, otherwise any 41.7 to 42v lithium battery charger with the right connector will do. It's easy enough to change connectors too.

2 The BMS in the battery does the charging. The cells are 4.2v fully charged. there's 10 strings. 4.2 x 10 = 42v

3. Probably safer to use a 24v battery bank and an inverter. You'll need at least 100aH at 12v. More would be better. less at 24v. I wouldn't recommend charging directly unless you can get some sort of auto cut-off when charged.