Motor cut off not working on Woosh Big Bear

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The motor power is not cutting out when I press either of the brake levers. This issue started yesterday. I had a look at the controller on my bike and saw that two very thin wires going to the controller have become broken at the ends and are not connected. One is red and the other blue, and they are in a group of three alongside a thin yellow wire which is connected normally. Could one or both of these broken wires be causing the issue?

Thanks for any help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Different colours and wire numbers then my Big Bear kit.

More then likely are for the brake cut off, 3 wires for hall sensor switching. Yellow /GND, Red /v+ & Blue/signal all 3 need to be connected.
Either solder each pair & heat shrink to cover each joint one at a time or use a simple small amp household wire strip connector for each pair of wires.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if using conductive wire glue to fix the connections would work instead?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello John,

Please send some pictures to support@wooshbikes.co.uk - we can send you some new crimps to fix the wires.
The brake sensor on the controller side is a pair of 2-pin connectors, black and grey. Only one grey wire needs to be connected.
Support can send you a diagram and pictures to help you with that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case then the kit and the bikes components are the same. The broken wires are the speed sensor then going by my kit.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The speedometer isn't working either, so it looks like the broken red and blue wires are responsible for that issue. The wires are broken in terms of having become loose and fallen out where they are meant to be connected into the small black plastic holder that connects them to the controller side.

I don't recall noticing that the black and grey wires were broken, but I'll have another look at those and see.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the red and blue 2-pin connectors are not used.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In post #1 John mentions 3 wires r/y/blu which is the speed sensor, a pic would clarify.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
After 2 a.m. here and I've been up late working on my bike. My soldering skills are not great but I was able to successfully solder the red and blue broken wires back together. This had the effect of making the speedometer work again (thank goodness!), but the motor cut-off still isn't working. It didn't look like there were any other broken connections. Does anyone know what colored wire(s) on the Big Bear controller are for the motor cut-off? Thanks.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In post #1 John mentions 3 wires r/y/blu which is the speed sensor, a pic would clarify.
that's correct. The red/yellow/blue is the speed sensor:

Brake sensor:

the Julet cable goes from the front of the bike to the controller box.
The white wire carries the brake signal, connect it to the black/grey on the controller side.

If you need more info, read the Big Bear hub kit manual here:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/Big-Bear-Hub-Kit.pdf

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Just a thought, have you oiled the brake levers? Oil can find it's way into the micro switches.
This happened to me and I was able to clean them and get them working again.
Dave.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Problem fixed. The white wire had become loose too, and so I soldered it to the grey wire and the motor cut-out now works again. Thanks very much for your help guys. Much appreciated :)

Reactions: D C and Woosh

Advertisers