Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hello

I have one of these:-

http://www.proriderleisure.com/leisure/electric-bikes/e-wayfarer-electric-folding-bike-silver.html

http://www.proriderleisure.com/leisure/electric-bikes/e-wayfarer-electric-folding-bike-silver.html

I have noticed of late that the motor is beginning to get noisy. It sounds kinda like the motor is straining, or a sort of dry gearbox noise. I haven't noticed any dorp of of power or performance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
The motor may have to be disassembled and the planetary gears replaced. Should take 30 to 45 minutes to do if there are no complications.

Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012
Ah, so it was a gear noise. Is this a job I can do or will it need to go away. I am an engineer, well welder. Where would I get the parts to DIY, or where can I send it. Whats the likely cost either way.

Thanks

Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012
Hello

I went to use it today after about 3 weeks of not using in. I got no drive what so ever even thought he motor was running. So clearly something has gone wrong. Last time I used it it was fine.

Thinking about things more now when its been left for any amount of time the back wheel has always been ceased, requiring a fair bit of force to get to rolling

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hello

I went to use it today after about 3 weeks of not using in. I got no drive what so ever even thought he motor was running. So clearly something has gone wrong. Last time I used it it was fine.

Thinking about things more now when its been left for any amount of time the back wheel has always been ceased, requiring a fair bit of force to get to rolling
It sounds for sure that it your planetary gears. You should be able to get a replacement assembly from amazon or ebay. Just make sure you get the type of motor from your bike correct when searching. Any ebike shop should be able to do it for you. Where are you located?

Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012
It sounds for sure that it your planetary gears. You should be able to get a replacement assembly from amazon or ebay. Just make sure you get the type of motor from your bike correct when searching. Any ebike shop should be able to do it for you. Where are you located?

I am in NE Essex. Where are you? Can you give me a link to start looking on Amazon / eBay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can see the internals of a typical Bafang motor and read details about stripping one on this link in one of my websites.

Some motors open the other side but the internal layouts are always very similar. You may find that as well as the nylon gears being stripped, the rack in the hub shell is ruined too so that should also be replaced, it's usually held in place by three or more grub screws.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could I swap it out for something like this?
That's not the best choice for two reasons. First it has disc brake for which you have no caliper mountings on the frame. Your present brake is a roller brake, completely different despite it's cooling disc.

Second it's a direct drive motor which is usually ok for speed but won't be as good for hill climbing, despite the apparent extra wattage, since it has lower torque than your geared motor. Direct drives have no gears inside, the motor is a part of the wheel and spindle so just turns at the wheel speed. Cheap but with disadvantages.

Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012
I'm going to investigate it all better. I will take it all apart shortly.

Biggles

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2012
Hi Again

I have removed the wheel now. 36 spoke 20" There are 5 light wires on a multi plug and 3 hevier individual wires on bullet connectors connecting the motor to the Ananda controller. This is the only number I can find on the motor HDB15NA12030319L

Has this improved my options for repair?

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Biggles I would PM d8veh and see if he can shed any light on your hub and he may know where to source the parts, although he has withdrawn from posting on the forum of late he has joined in a PM with me and another member.

Advertisers