Motor resistance?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
1 and 2 do not assist up to 16mph that is for sure. I have max speed set to 25kph as it came from whoosh. I tried it at an higher setting just on the estate then set it back to legal setting.
Something very odd there then, how about wheel size setting?
Dave.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
But should it assist up to 16mph in every setting? Would not see point in 5 levels if all assist to same max top speed

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
But should it assist up to 16mph in every setting? Would not see point in 5 levels if all assist to same max top speed
Mine does, five levels are of power, not speed.
Sounds like yours is different for some reason.
My Cyclotricity kit could be set to either 5 levels of speed or 5 levels of power, I tried the speed levels but didn't get along with it at all and set it back to power levels. If that's how yours is working I can see why you don't like it.
Maybe whoosh can clarify.
Dave.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
To be honest Dave I have no idea how it works or how it should work. I suppose that is the issue of buying blind online without trying one and knowing what it should and should not be like etc.

I should have gone with my gut feeling and got a complete bike I suppose.

It is what it is weather it is working as it should or not as I have no way of knowing one way or they other at end of day.

May just try sell the bike with conversion as it is instead of messing.

D

Deleted member 4366

Set to level 1, put in bottom gear, lift the wheel off the ground, use the throttle or turn the pedals to see how fast it spins to. Do the same on level 2. It might be good to put the brake on lightly to deal with any over-run. Make sure you give it a chance to settle down into the steady state.

Reactions: waj1234

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Set to level 1, put in bottom gear, lift the wheel off the ground, use the throttle or turn the pedals to see how fast it spins to. Do the same on level 2. It might be good to put the brake on lightly to deal with any over-run. Make sure you give it a chance to settle down into the steady state.
It does indeed assist up to 16mph in any setting and 21mph with restriction removed to it is indeed working as it should.

So it is all down to my perception as suspected and the terrain I ride which will be different to everyone else etc.

I have some hybrid tyres arriving today to replace the full knobbly ones so rolling resistance should be much better.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Reactions: D C
D

Deleted member 4366

It does indeed assist up to 16mph in any setting and 21mph with restriction removed to it is indeed working as it should.

So it is all down to my perception as suspected and the terrain I ride which will be different to everyone else etc.

I have some hybrid tyres arriving today to replace the full knobbly ones so rolling resistance should be much better.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
That's interesting. It means your controller uses current control instead of speed control. That's what I prefer. Is it a Woosh kit?

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
That's interesting. It means your controller uses current control instead of speed control. That's what I prefer. Is it a Woosh kit?
Yeah its a woosh kit.

Fit some 26x1.95 hybrid tyres today and it rolls so much smoother so should feel better next ride. May have to corner a bit slower on the loose stuff though. The front tyre took some getting the inner tube in as its a narrow rim and the 26x2.3 over sized knobbly tyre has plenty of room for it. The new tyre took some seating in the rim near the valve so it did not give a bobbing effect.

Finished bike - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8nQpXYMs5RkDNDJLxHaKmzXfAEGyYIIlzFhJX1Ceq5HJrw6EGX1--NK8H1OvoRw/photo/AF1QipNMQ_B0IVJy5CWQhgBGYbC18XDkyRtUvPXgWPaU?key=ZWQ3cTZ3MnF2Z1A0eDNja3hHWmhyOG5PU0tsTlNR

Wish I could hide the tie wraps but don't think its too untidy really. Had to use riv nuts on top crossbar to fit the bottle cage so at least I got some more use out of the riv nut tool lol.

It takes some getting wheel back on after removal due to having to spread the frame. May have to get some reverse clamps to somehow make it easier. Will have to fix puncture with wheel on if I get one while riding.

EDIT - I said it assists up to 16mph in any setting but that was using the throttle so not sure what it will go up to with peddle assist only.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, tyres make a big difference. I bought a used MTB and went out for a ride with a friend. I noticed that I was pedalling hard while he was free-wheeling, so I stopped to test that the wheels span freely, which they did, so I carried on confused.

A few days later, I decided to change the tyres, but I couldn't get them off. Finally after a lot of heave-ho, the first came over the rim and I could see the problem: There were two tyres on each wheel. There was a smaller knobbly tyre inside each of the bigger ones plus the tube. I chucked everything, and when I put the new tyres on, the bike was completely transformed.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Yes, tyres make a big difference. I bought a used MTB and went out for a ride with a friend. I noticed that I was pedalling hard while he was free-wheeling, so I stopped to test that the wheels span freely, which they did, so I carried on confused.

A few days later, I decided to change the tyres, but I couldn't get them off. Finally after a lot of heave-ho, the first came over the rim and I could see the problem: There were two tyres on each wheel. There was a smaller knobbly tyre inside each of the bigger ones plus the tube. I chucked everything, and when I put the new tyres on, the bike was completely transformed.
Two tyres lol. I just want a Zero FXS ZF6.5 now to compliment my bike lol

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Yeah its a woosh kit.

Fit some 26x1.95 hybrid tyres today and it rolls so much smoother so should feel better next ride. May have to corner a bit slower on the loose stuff though. The front tyre took some getting the inner tube in as its a narrow rim and the 26x2.3 over sized knobbly tyre has plenty of room for it. The new tyre took some seating in the rim near the valve so it did not give a bobbing effect.

Finished bike - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8nQpXYMs5RkDNDJLxHaKmzXfAEGyYIIlzFhJX1Ceq5HJrw6EGX1--NK8H1OvoRw/photo/AF1QipNMQ_B0IVJy5CWQhgBGYbC18XDkyRtUvPXgWPaU?key=ZWQ3cTZ3MnF2Z1A0eDNja3hHWmhyOG5PU0tsTlNR

Wish I could hide the tie wraps but don't think its too untidy really. Had to use riv nuts on top crossbar to fit the bottle cage so at least I got some more use out of the riv nut tool lol.

It takes some getting wheel back on after removal due to having to spread the frame. May have to get some reverse clamps to somehow make it easier. Will have to fix puncture with wheel on if I get one while riding.

EDIT - I said it assists up to 16mph in any setting but that was using the throttle so not sure what it will go up to with peddle assist only.
It will be the same. 16mph with pedal assist only.
I have hidden my surplus wiring under a small front top tube pannier which is handy for tools and spare inner tube etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K1912OS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cable ties never look that great but you've done a pretty neat job with them and they don't look too tight.
They can break wiring if over tightened.
I use velcro straps, more gentle on the wires but they don't look any neater than yours.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5X-Tie-Down-Strap-for-11-1-3S-2200-LiPo-Battery-AKKU-TREX-450-RC-Helicopter-New-/191786613397?hash=item2ca75f7a95
Glad it's coming right for you.:)
Dave.

Reactions: waj1234

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
There is not really enough excess wiring to need a bag to be honest, just a small loop of them bottom of battery and a loop of em in front of handlebars tied to the brake wires.

I like the idea of a few velcro straps though. I thought about drilling holes and feeding in the frame but it would weaken the frame so would not do that.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Pics of mine so you can see yours looks pretty good.
I have fitted a 180 rear disc so the frame doesn't need to stretch as much.
Hayes brakes so a bit bulky.2-DSCF2337.JPG 1-DSCF2336.JPG 3-DSCF2338.JPG 4-DSCF2340.JPG

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Looks good. It is a shame I could not stretch the frame permanently without doing damage to it. Would be good if it could just fall straight in as it's hard to get it in to be honest without levering it in which is scratching the dropouts etc.

I noticed today that my disc bolts were all loose so I either did not tighten them (sure I did) or it needs locking compound on them.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Also how do you have the display etc on the front of the stem like that? Makes more room on bars.

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
Absolutely right, my mistake, sorry. I got muddled with the power reduced 11kW models of the DS.

Get a test ride if you haven't, great fun. The FXS wasn't about when I had mine so had to 'settle' for the DS and FX. The FX was like a hot knife through butter with regard to traffic. Just need very secure parking, easy and reliable charging and sound activated by proximity sensors for those that don't look before pretty much anything.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
When I can afford one it will be just a toy that would never see rain. Charging would probably be at home only more than likely. Agree you would need a good lock and something to lock it to as no doubt it would be desirable. though you have to bolt down just about everything these days anyhow.

The fxs 6.5 is around £8500 with government grant. Expensive but low costs after purchase. I do like the idea of one.