Motor spinning but no bite

steetimney

Just Joined
Aug 25, 2023
Good morning guys, can anybody help me please, came back from shopping and when I was close by the motor cut out, I've had the rear hub out and everything seems to be working OK, motor spins etc but there's no bite, here's a video when the chain is off so I can spin it stationary

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
OK so no video, it won't let me upload one here's the YouTube link
Three possibilities:
1. The clutch is stuck. That often happens when water gets in and makes a bit of rust.
2. The gears are stripped. That happens if you overload them.
3. The key on the shaft between the clutch and its shaft is broken.

Whatever the cause, the motor will have to be opened so that you can check the clutch and gears. There is the possibility that the motor's running backwards, but that wouldn't happen in the middle of a ride and normally there's no noise other than whirring. If you lift the wheel off the ground, the small amount of friction will nudge it backwards if the motor is running backwards, so fairly easy to check.

steetimney

Just Joined
Aug 25, 2023
Three possibilities:
1. The clutch is stuck. That often happens when water gets in and makes a bit of rust.
2. The gears are stripped. That happens if you overload them.
3. The key on the shaft between the clutch and its shaft is broken.

Whatever the cause, the motor will have to be opened so that you can check the clutch and gears. There is the possibility that the motor's running backwards, but that wouldn't happen in the middle of a ride and normally there's no noise other than whirring. If you lift the wheel off the ground, the small amount of friction will nudge it backwards if the motor is running backwards, so fairly easy to check.
Hi mate, thanks for getting back to me, the gears seem to be OK when I opened it up, the motor seems to be a little quieter but still no bite on it, I've been looking at buying a new conversion kit then I can get new everything, controller, motor etc, still around £200 on alibaba

Advertisers