Mudguard recommendations

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, ive been hunting round to fins some decent mudguards, but so many to choose from, i thought id ask here.

Currently I have these, which did well until the winter really kicked in and the paths to work turned into 3 inches of wet mud, or 3 inch water pools.

https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-classic-mtb-mudguard-set-EV170416

Cheap I know, but they had good reviews.

I have switched to wider 2.1 inch tyres for winter which may have led to these not doing the job well enough.

So, I guess I need extra wide guards...I wouldnt mind a set of the ones which fix with spokes to the frame, but halfords told me they wouldnt fit my bike....

Maybe I need something like these, I guess the longer the better?

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-defender-m2-rear-mudguard-00101645

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-defender-xc11-rear-mudguard-EV162322

I do ride in all weathers, and while my waterproofs do the job, its still not nice getting to work looking like ive been rolling in a mud bath before I got there ;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I did try to extend the ones I have at the back with an old mudguard, but it looked a total mess so gave up. That one you have there looks a bit longer and may do the trick

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I did try to extend the ones I have at the back with an old mudguard, but it looked a total mess so gave up. That one you have there looks a bit longer and may do the trick
They're fairly wide too. Even though my piccy doesn't show the extension, I reckon it adds about another 4 inches to the rear of the front mudguard.

I did try some mudguards from Crud, but in reality they turned out to be a bit rubbish.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Luv the fat rear mudguard, but it looks like it's lacking in protecting the bike frame in the seat tube/battery area.
I'm still thawing out at the moment. It's cold out there. :)

The rear mudguard doesn't protect that area. The front one does, to a degree. I've also got one of those downtube splashguards fitted.

Before and after pics.

DSC00274.JPG DSC00282.JPG

Out in the wild.

That looks great...pics ive seen of those, the guard doesnt come nearly as far back to cover the whole tyre o_O
Some are longer than others. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Don't forget that those tyres are Schwalbe Magic Mary's 2.35" wide. Those guards are wide enough to do a good job. I've lowered the back one a fair bit since first fitting. You can hear them both knocking the clods of mud off when going through bogs.

In reality, if you go cross country, you're going to get a bit spattered. No matter what mudguards you're using. :oops:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well the temporary fix dropped off and I lost it. Intended to fix it properly, but left it a ride too late! Will search the shed for something suitable to replace the cut off mudguard

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Finally resolved my mud issue.

I bought the Topeak Defender xc11 rear guard after reading a lot of reviews on it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-defender-xc11-rear-mudguard-EV162322

This left a bit of a gap under the seat, so I could imagine all the mud would build up around the crank area. So, i used my old mudguard cut down, and pushed as low down the frame to try and stop that.

The remaining peice of that old mudguard was cut down and used to extend the front guard, so protecting the control box and hub area from the front.

Although its not been quite as wet and muddy of late, I have made efforts to aim for those muddy places.....

The hub area is now so much cleaner, very pleased with the results.
A tiny bit of mud has made its way to my backpack, but its about 99% less than before.

So, for £20, not a bad result.

IMG_0121-19-02-17-11-48.jpeg IMG_0122-19-02-17-11-48.jpeg IMG_0123-19-02-17-11-48.jpeg

Advertisers