My Carrera Vengeance Ultimate/ TSDZ2 build (in progress..)

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
All good!, I've pencilled in next weekend to fit the kit. Would love to do it sooner but other commitments have taken priority.

Would prefer the seat tube (looks wise) but I won't commit to final wiring until I've tried both.

Even using 25% more battery the 15ah should be more than enough for what I use the bike for!.

Looking forward to the first test ride!.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Looks good!, have you put any miles on it yet?.

What rear hub have you fitted?.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Not that many, maybe 300ish. Most I've done in a day was 50. The rear hub is a Nexus 8-Speed (which is what the bike comes with as standard although the first one broke)

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
david swp what do you think of the tsds2 hill climbing abilities?
I to have done 321miles on Carrera subway with tsds2.
as regards going up hill faster, I find I myself am slower on longer hills /and have to peddle harder re the torque sensor.

I find hills easier on kudos vita uno speed sensor, but both bikes have 10.4ah batteries range about 30miles on kudos, getting over 40 miles on Carrera.

keithmac I am sure you will enjoy your first ride

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Hi footpump. I'm still finding the bike good on hills. Can go up 1 in 5 slopes almost as if it was flat ground. It also makes going up longer, less steep slopes a lot less effort, but yes, you do have to put reasonable effort in. I tend to use relatively high gearing. Compared to my previous Bafang hub motor I would say its much better going up steep hills at a relatively slow pace where the hub motor wouldn't be going fast enough to generate much power and its miles better at standing starts on hills.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
A little progress was made today, got motor battery and display etc mounted, chains on and chainline looks good (not sure about tensioner though..).

After nearly breaking a finger trying to remove pedals from my old crank arms I gave in and bought some new ones..

Had an hour on it then went caravan and tow car shopping (the joys!).

Reactions: trex

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
I think when I had a previous bike set up a bit like that, with a tensioner and the chain engaging with relatively few of the rear cog teeth, I had problems with the chain slipping a lot.

I remember going through several tensioners, the first couple were rubbish. Ended up with a Surly Singulator in the end which just about did the job but not perfect and I had a front hub motor at the time so wasn't even throwing power assist into it. I ended up ditching it and buying a bike with horizontal drop-outs.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Cheers, I may try a Surly in push up configuration if I have problems with chain slip.

DavidSWP

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2016
Yeah, hope I'm wrong but I'd say ideally you need to get the tensioner wheel up a lot closer to the chainstay so that the chain engages more teeth on the rear sprocket. I think I ended up with the Surly in 'push up' mode (you just reminded me). The tensioner soundwave posted looks like it may be even better at getting the chain closer to the stay.

Reactions: StefanK

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Cheers!. Think the Surly is the way forward, to be fair I never tried it chain onlybso I may get lucky with the tensoin (unlikely..).

Could do with another Gtech frame with horizontal dropouts..

D

Deleted member 4366

On my Nuvinci 360, I use a normal derailleur as a tensioner. It works perfectly. No need for a cable and changer. Just use the end-stop adjusters to fix in in the correct position.:

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Sorry all for the painfully slow progress!, decided I'm not happy with current chain route so I'm taking my old derailleur into work to give it a good clean and will fit it on Sunday hopefully.

I've bought a new (to me) car and caravan so money's tight now!, using my old bits is preferable at this point..

Will hopefully do some miles on it this weekend.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you pm me an address ill post that thing i have as no use at all to me.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello soundwave, thank you very much for the offer!. I don't think will help with my setup though.

The derailleur seems the way forward for the time being at least.

Thanks again though, much appreciated :).

StefanK

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2018
Here's my TSDZ2 Trek Soho conversion.View attachment 14908
Hi David,

I'm looking at launching into a conversion of my TREK SOHO. Like you, I have a chain on it instead of a belt drive.

I spoke to a bike shop and they felt the Bafang 8 fun drive wouldn't fit due to the spacing of the chain between the pedals and the rear wheel.

How have you found your middrive choice? Is that the TSDZ2?

Any tips for newbys starting from scratch you wish you knew when you started?

Generally interested in the steps you went through and what was involved if you can be bothered sharing the details! Or perhaps you've already written it up elsewhere?

cheers,

Stefan
(Australia)