My New Project and its not a Recumbent Trike lol

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so ive started a new project, i tend to mix between the crossfire 2 mid drive i built 250w panda, though i find it a bit under powered, and my 500w performer recumbent trike.

so im building a full suspension mountain bike, hopefully on the cheap lol

so i bought a DDG mutha 18inch frame with are suspension, thought the price was ok. also it was only a 26inch wheel frame, but a took a chance and bought a really quite clean and cheep carrera small mountain bike for the bits, 27.5 wheels. ive bought the battery 48v 13ah. hit a couple of snags the first being the wheels with the big tyres didnt fit the back lol. so i got a marathon cross and it fits in lovley now. need to get one for the front now. battery was also an issue as the mounts on the frame were to low down. ive ended up drilling to holes in the frame to fit it. ive ordered a bafanf 750w mid drive to power it, with a color screen. when ive worked it out my cheep project wasnt that cheep lol.

Attachments

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd change the brakes to hydraulics. Used ones from Ebay don't cost much.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
if i like it when finished i may do.

ive just been out on my boardman mix and match, part Boardman comp, Part other bits. the electrics are a 250w bart rear, and the guts are from electric bike conversions. what a little flying machine.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
so everything has gone pear shaped. i ended up using my 750w mid drive on my Carrera. the new panda 1000w i got a pro on a 27.5 inch wheel for the mountain bike. the first being i had already fitted an 8 speed gear change. also i had fitted in line brake sensors (3 wire) for the mid drive.

my first issue was i only had a 9 speed rear cog, and an 8 speed gear changer fitted with the brake lever fitted. the new panda ones wernt my cup of tea. so got the back wheel fitted, its a bit diffent than the previous ones Ive had. so i will have to order a gear changer and brake levers. also i throttle as it didn't have one with the kit. the next issue is its a different control box and came with a frame bag, which wont fit anywhere on the bike as is suspension. so ive attached it to the seat down tube bit of the frame. it looks a sealed unit but i'll make a water proof bag to fit round it to keep it clean and dry. so overall i didn't get far. had to fit a crank set as well and i only had a 52t single so that was a chew on.

lifes a pain lol

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
hi, so my project has changed direction. for 2 reasons
1. the kit i got which for reason to long to go into, a 1000w rear is not working. trying to resolve it now.
2. the DDG mutha 18inch frame with air suspension, when i sit on it it feels to small for me.

ive just bought a Rockrider 520S Full Suspension Mountain Bike - 27.5" L, which feels so much better. but i cant decide what to do. all of the sundry parts on the DDG are of a carrera. the look as though they should fit the rockrider, including the air shocker.

so i wonder if i should but the better quality carrera parts on the rockrider. what do we think. also hopefully if a certain company gets back to me and i get the 1000w rear sorted, its not going on the rockrider, ive ordered another 750w bafang mid drive for it.

Related Articles

Advertisers