My second ebike now up and running

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Put it together last week as a singlespeed, but as I thought, the gearing ended up too low to ride to the nearest half decent trails (about 6 miles away). I therefore added a 1 x 9 set up, running a 38T front ring, I'm hoping with motor assistance it will be geared low enough to get up the biggest climbs we have on the Winchester end of the Southdowns.

It's just a Panda 250 Eco kit, built onto my Stooge frame and forks http://stoogecycles.co.uk/ (previously ran unassisted as a singlespeed), with a 29+ front tyre to give some suspension. On the road it it gives sufficient boost, I don't intend to take up out in really wet and muddy conditions, so hopefully it will perform / last ok.

I wanted a cheapish (kit was £368, everything else other than the frame bag and the rear cassette, I already had) way of seeing if I will use an emountain bike. I fairly regularly ride with a group of ex workmates, where I will remain on my unassisted full suspension mountain bike, I was therefore unsure if I would sufficiently use an emountain bike at other times, to justify the price.

I can use this sometimes on my commute and add a lap of the local woods, as I pass them directly, half the way home, so I can already see it getting used every wee (at least when dry).

IMG_20170423_101627 by fatwomble, on Flickr

IMG_20170423_101647 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Reactions: Kenny and IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

A lower speed motor can often be better if you want to do any steep hills or off-road stuff, especially if you have 29" wheels. A 180 rpm one will max out at about 15 mph with most of the power declining after 12 mph, but it will give a lot more power in that vital 6 - 10 mph zone than a higher speed motor.

For commuting, you want a motor that gives good power around 20 mph, so 250 rpm is usually more suitable.

It really annoys me that sellers never list the speed of their motors, as if it's not important.

Can you say how fast your speedo reads with the wheel in the air and no speed limit in the LCD?

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
A lower speed motor can often be better if you want to do any steep hills or off-road stuff, especially if you have 29" wheels. A 180 rpm one will max out at about 15 mph with most of the power declining after 12 mph, but it will give a lot more power in that vital 6 - 10 mph zone than a higher speed motor.

For commuting, you want a motor that gives good power around 20 mph, so 250 rpm is usually more suitable.

It really annoys me that sellers never list the speed of their motors, as if it's not important.

Can you say how fast your speedo reads with the wheel in the air and no speed limit in the LCD?
Only have the basic control panel, no speedo or ability to change anything other than the power setting.

I'll give it a real life test over the next couple of weeks.