Navigation Choices

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Guys, I don't really want to get a stand alone Nav device as they tend to be a bit pricey and well over spec'd for me.

So, I want to use an app on the iphone. Here's the question, the main feature I would like to have is to ask the app to find be a round route for my ride instead of building a route. It is a feature on some Garmin models, but, does that feature exist on any IOS app please?

Thanks............

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Google maps "directions" gives the option of cycling - and will give you cycle-friendly routes keeping you on quieter roads as much as possible.
Get yourself a decent phone!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Associated with this has anyone found a really trustworthy way to mount a smartphone to the bars?

Navigation wise I use Maps ME on a 7" tablet using a Rixen Kaul map holder(as link) on my road bike, but I can't fix it on the e-bike because of the display. Using my mobile could solve that aspect.
However Maps ME does not find round routes, doing that involves inputting your chosen waypoints.

https://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/product/56665/mapholder-handlebar-fitting/

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I bought my wife a little phone "pannier" which straps to the top tube behind the handlebars. There is just room in the side pockets for a power bank to keep the phone going all day.

I too like Maps ME - because it is always there even if you unexpectedly loose the phone signal. The mapping is a bit crude visually but seems pretty accurate and shows most footpaths and tracks..

I just wish that the OS Maps app wasn't so slow and quirky - I would gladly pay the £20 per year if it worked properly.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I use the ViewRanger app which has the same subscription model and the same maps as the OS for a few extra pounds a year, but a decent app. Shame the OS app is so bad. I use it more for walking than cycling. I also make sure I have a cached Google maps for roads.

I used to use Anquet, but it got a bit irritating in various ways.