Need for 8mi one way commute want style and ease

R1180m

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2017
London
Hello
Can you help me figure out the difference between the models? And what should I consider? I'm new to ebike purchase but think it will help me commute.

I'm buying it primarily for commute purpose
Here is my situation
Hoping to buy within a month or two before too much cold weather sets in!

My commute one way:
4 days a week
8mi
London congestion
Three steep highway under and overpass bridges to cross
Need to up/down two zig zag ramp inclines to get to tunnels crossing under the road
Bumpy potholes and some shared sidewalk
Mostly cycle path

Me as a rider:
5'6"
15 stone
Out of shape
Have ridden on a 15 gear hybrid a few times there and back
Hybrid was stolen so now considering an ebike as a replacement

My storage:
Need to carry up 5 steps and flip upright into a small lift to get to my flat.

Spec interested in:
Ideally 8+ speed gear if no battery in (could try less)
Low step through
Comfortable ride
Pannier rack
Basket on front
Lights built in and autopowered (hub Dynamo preferred so works without battery or if riding with battery at least powered by electric without needing separate batteries)
Comfortable ride
Chain guard to protect clothes if possible fully enclosed
Aesthetically have classic retro preference but if something meets every other spec I'd consider it
Light as possible given the specs to carry up the steps and maneuver into the lift
Removable battery
Would like to ride with or without battery
Would like to be able to ride fully electric if needed if I'm in nice work clothes or tired on way home, if that's possible

Confused on throttles and if they just help me set off from a standstill or if I can turn it on and just ride on it without pedaling

Do I need to worry about weather and rain when picking a model are any more rain protected than another on he electric components

Budget
Hoping around £1000 or less

Tempted by Pendleton ebike because it has good reviews and can get around £650 during a sale
Love look and features of volt Kensington just don't like price tag

Considering so far (need to go test ride but the salesrooms are all spread out!!!)

Pendleton ebike
Volt Kensington
Woosh crusa
Juicy Dutch classic lite

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh crusa
the Crusa may not be the right bike for your requirements.
It is a big bike, with wide handlebars, not easy at all to take inside a lift.
I would have thought something like the £799 foldable Woosh Zephyr C is much more suitable. Its main beam is low step and it has a carbon belt drive. It has front Suntour suspension fork, comfortable and upright riding. It is also very lightweight, easy to carry over steps. Range is about 30 miles on a full charge.
The new 2018 Zephyr C, available from Christmas will have 12AH battery, 40 mile range, priced at £899.
The Zephyr C is designed to have near zero maintenance, imagine a whole year doing zilch to your bike!

Last edited:
  • Informative

R1180m

Sep 24, 2017
London
Thanks for the fast reply!

I've tried a Brompton to and from work
The office bike shop has loaners
And the tiny ride style is not for me unfortunately
It's not comfortable for me
I prefer a standard bike frame

• Informative

R1180m

Sep 24, 2017
London
When I ride the small compact commuter bikes I feel like I'm pedaling and going no where
And the wizard of Oz wicked witch theme song comes to mind as I pedal with the tiny wheels ;););)

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When I ride the small compact commuter bikes I feel like I'm pedaling and going no where
And the wizard of Oz wicked witch theme song comes to mind as I pedal with the tiny wheels ;););)
that's because the gearing is not done correctly. The Zephyr-C is designed to be pedalled comfortably and effortlessly at 15mph.
It also has 20" fat tyres and 3-speed Nexus hub gear.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Nice looking bike though it is, it'll weigh 25Kg+ with the battery. That's a heavy beast to carry up five steps.

This one: http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-st will be a lot more nimble and has a higher capacity battery than the Gazelle for £100 less.

R1180m

Sep 24, 2017
London
This one also seems lighter than others
Doesn't look like a front basket can be fitted - i wonder if this is possible.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-900-e-step-over-classic-electric-bike-id_8379380.html

---
for any of the models....i don't understand how to tell about riding them on the either "fully on" or "fully off" modes.

I don't quite understand on any of these bikes if I can drive on full throttle mode and not pedal. It is clear on the woosh models that is possible.
I can't tell if that is the case for them all ? Can all electric bikes run full throttle without pedaling?

Equally on the opposite end of the spectrum, do I need to be concerned if it will be difficult to drive "regularly" without the battery in? Will it be harder to crank thank a regular bike b/c it is expecting the battery?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hello
Can you help me figure out the difference between the models? And what should I consider? I'm new to ebike purchase but think it will help me commute.

Here is my situation

My commute one way:
4 days a week
8mi
London congestion
Need to up/down two zig zag ramp inclines to get to tunnels crossing under the road
Mostly cycle path

Me as a rider:
5'6"
15 stone
Out of shape

My storage:

Spec interested in:
Low step through
Comfortable ride
Pannier rack
Basket on front
Lights built in and autopowered (hub Dynamo preferred so works without battery or if riding with battery at least powered by electric without needing separate batteries)
Comfortable ride
Aesthetically have classic retro preference but if something meets every other spec I'd consider it
Light as possible given the specs to carry up the steps and maneuver into the lift
Removable battery
Would like to be able to ride fully electric if needed if I'm in nice work clothes or tired on way home, if that's possible

Confused on throttles and if they just help me set off from a standstill or if I can turn it on and just ride on it without pedaling

Do I need to worry about weather and rain when picking a model are any more rain protected than another on he electric components

Budget

Tempted by Pendleton ebike because it has good reviews and can get around £650 during a sale

Considering so far (need to go test ride but the salesrooms are all spread out!!!)

Pendleton ebike
Volt Kensington
Woosh crusa
Juicy Dutch classic lite
Thanks for the fast reply!

I've tried a Brompton to and from work
The office bike shop has loaners
And the tiny ride style is not for me unfortunately
It's not comfortable for me
I prefer a standard bike frame
Unfortunately the biggest problem you have identified is bringing it up steps and into a lift. These indicate that a folder with small wheels is the better compromise. If you believe that a full sized bike works for you then your options are wider.
There is nothing wrong with smaller wheels in city cycling. the only perception will be that the gyroscope effect on wheel stability is less and the acceleration and stopping distances improved because of the lower inertia.
Small fat wheels are not a bad idea probably less efficient than small thin wheels at high pressure but more comfortable and anyway the motor corrects for any inefficiency. They will also reduce rut collisions.
If you have had bad experiences on small wheels think on who the target market is and why they are normally geared low. Just get the front chainwheel altered....

Last edited:
  • Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't quite understand on any of these bikes if I can drive on full throttle mode and not pedal. It is clear on the woosh models that is possible.
I can't tell if that is the case for them all ? Can all electric bikes run full throttle without pedaling?
the rules on the throttle has changed since last year.
The 'twist and go' throttle cannot be installed.
Therefore, the throttle can only be installed either as starting aid, from zero (standstill) to 4mph, or activated after you have pedaled.

That's what you have on the new Woosh bikes, you have to pedal a little before the throttle is activated.
On the older models, the throttle has a switch. You should start pedalling before switching the throttle on.

R1180m

Sep 24, 2017
London
Fine with a little pedal to start.
Wondering on any electric bike if you put the highest assist on does it shuttle you along or do you always need to pedal

The non ebike I had that got stolen was a pinnacle hybrid "M" size
It fit upright in the lift with the handlebars twisted.
Working on trying to find secure covered parking in a garage nearby otherwise until then stuck with the steps and flipping it into the lift!

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wondering on any electric bike if you put the highest assist on does it shuttle you along or do you always need to pedal
there are two prevalent systems, each has about half of the market share. The German bikes tend to have a torque sensor built into the bottom bracket, the assist you get is proportional to the effort you put in.
The Chinese bikes tend to have a simple pedaling detection, which turns on the motor when you pedal, therefore feels a little wooden but will suit anyone, you don't need to worry about your level of fitness.
If you have a big hill, then the Chinese system can be an advantage, because you are not required to put in extra effort to climb the hill as you have to with the German system.
However, there is an issue with the Chinese system if you have a big hill and you are traditionally built. You will need a bigger motor and more powerful battery and controller.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tern Joe or Eclipse with a lightweight hub kit.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
there are two prevalent systems, each has about half of the market share. The German bikes tend to have a torque sensor built into the bottom bracket, the assist you get is proportional to the effort you put in.
The Chinese bikes tend to have a simple pedaling detection, which turns on the motor when you pedal, therefore feels a little wooden but will suit anyone, you don't need to worry about your level of fitness.
If you have a big hill, then the Chinese system can be an advantage, because you are not required to put in extra effort to climb the hill as you have to with the German system.
However, there is an issue with the Chinese system if you have a big hill and you are traditionally built. You will need a bigger motor and more powerful battery and controller.[/QUOTE
I like the reference to. traditionally built .

I would fully agree with whoosh analysis and I have no vested interest.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hello

Here is my situation

My commute one way:
4 days a week
8mi
London congestion
Mostly cycle path

Me as a rider:
5'6"
15 stone
Out of shape

My storage:

Spec interested in:
Low step through
Comfortable ride
Pannier rack
Basket on front
Comfortable ride
Removable battery

Budget

Pendleton ebike
Volt Kensington
Woosh crusa
Juicy Dutch classic lite
The Juicy can be configured so that its throttle works to 15mph without pedaling, but riding it that way is illegal.

Have your company registered with a Cycle To Work scheme? Off topic I know, but could save you hundreds of pounds...

• Informative

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Starting from rest with the throttle puts a lot of strain on the electrics. Putting some effort in from a standstill will help greatly, then let the throttle kick in.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Traditionally built
It s lovely ... First published I think in the Alexander McCall novels about the "number one ladies detective agency."... A charming range of books.
It deserves greater currency , particularly by us of a certain frame.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This one also seems lighter than others
Doesn't look like a front basket can be fitted - i wonder if this is possible.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-900-e-step-over-classic-electric-bike-id_8379380.html

---
for any of the models....i don't understand how to tell about riding them on the either "fully on" or "fully off" modes.

Equally on the opposite end of the spectrum, do I need to be concerned if it will be difficult to drive "regularly" without the battery in? Will it be harder to crank thank a regular bike b/c it is expecting the battery?
At your age and unless you have a specific medical condition like arthritis, the problem is moot. The cadence type control on a hub motor only need to sense rotation in the chain wheel .. so you could in fact dispense with the chain altogether and they will propel the bike... Not suggesting it as a mode however, but it would bring you access a road even if the chain slipped.
The torque sensors detect the pressure on the pedals and basically give a bionic feel.. whatever you do it does 100% 150% 200% 250% more giving a total effort on the chain of 200% 250% etc.. . In my opinion a more bicycle like response. Like being on a tandem with a slave behind who replicates your every action but up to 2.5 stronger. Woosh used the word wooden for cadence control and I would concur with that. Torque control is more subtle and feels more alive.
Since you will be on the bike for at least 30 minutes, what would you want to be doing with your legs other than rotating the pedals anyway?... They would go to sleep otherwise. That's why it's moot.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Forget throttles. It's obvious from your original post that you don't need one. You're over-estimating how much effort is involved with a pedelec. A pedelec will be ideal for riding in work clothes or riding home when tired, that's the whole point of them. The only time you'd really need it is if you do yourself a mischief and can't physically pedal. Have a look at the Kudos Sprint.