Need help selecting ebike

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hi, I am Andy, relocating to Ayreshire am 5'10" 130kg not too fit but can pedal a bit I hope.

I have been riding a 100cc moped for the last ten years but now want to move across to an ebike.

-Maximum budget £1450
-Not sure crank or hub drive?
-Prefer non derailier gears I think but would like simplicity.
-Would like to be able to ride without pedaling but not sure if new legislation Jan 2016 prohibits that?

Will be used mainly for short shopping trips no more than 8miles there and back, no steep hills.

Please suggest make models and cost also the cost of replacement battery.

Andrew

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I suggest you look at the woosh Big Bear. It has a large Bafang BPM motor, 15AH battery, Avid disc brakes, 180mm rotor in the front, nice crankset, soft grips, full thumb throttle, suspension seat post, rack, mudguards, lights and bell.
Replacement 15AH battery: £345.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks, are there any dealers in Scotland?

How do I stand with the throttle with the new law?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Andy,

You are new here, but bear (ho-ho) in mind trex is a sales agent for woosh - see his (enforced) signature

Nothing wrong with a Big Bear, but it's a basic Chinese bike which you may, or may not, be happy with.

You mention carrying shopping, the Big Bear has a rack battery - more weight on the back and it's harder to fit panniers.

In that respect, a bike with a down tube mounted battery would be better.

Eight miles in flattish terrain with a bit of shopping is not hard use for an ebike, so almost any will do the job.

If you wanted a slightly nicer bike than a woosh, have a look at Oxygen.

A few quid under budget, pokey motor, carrier, and stealth down tube battery.

http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-cb

Reactions: Warwick

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
For simplicity consider the Momentum Upstart or Model T. They have a two-speed hub gear that changes up automatically and down when you stop pedalling at a slower speed. I had the system on a converted bike and it worked surprisingly well. You can tweak the gearing quite easily by changing the rear sprockets to suit your fitness level. Easy DIY job, maximum 30 minute job at a dealer, allowing for the chain length adjustment needed. Available via Halfords, I think, or there is a dealer in Edinburgh, but I realise that's quite a trek for you from Ayrshire.

Your budget may allow you to stretch to a NuVinci hub. In effect this is an automatic gearbox for bikes.

I've had FWD, RWD & a mid-drive machines. My preference is for a hub drive set up; either FWD or RWD. YMMV. My current RWD Oxygen e-Mate MTB is superb, but isn't a simple machine with its 27 gears.

Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
For simplicity consider the Momentum Upstart or Model T. They have a two-speed hub gear that changes up automatically and down when you stop pedalling at a slower speed. I had the system on a converted bike and it worked surprisingly well. You can tweak the gearing quite easily by changing the rear sprockets to suit your fitness level. Easy DIY job, maximum 30 minute job at a dealer, allowing for the chain length adjustment needed. Available via Halfords, I think, or there is a dealer in Edinburgh, but I realise that's quite a trek for you from Ayrshire.

Your budget may allow you to stretch to a NuVinci hub. In effect this is an automatic gearbox for bikes.

I've had FWD, RWD & a mid-drive machines. My preference is for a hub drive set up; either FWD or RWD. YMMV. My current RWD Oxygen e-Mate MTB is superb, but isn't a simple machine with its 27 gears.
Thank you for the input, I'll take a look at the oxygen…

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Andy,

You are new here, but bear (ho-ho) in mind trex is a sales agent for woosh - see his (enforced) signature

Nothing wrong with a Big Bear, but it's a basic Chinese bike which you may, or may not, be happy with.

You mention carrying shopping, the Big Bear has a rack battery - more weight on the back and it's harder to fit panniers.

Eight miles in flattish terrain with a bit of shopping is not hard use for an ebike, so almost any will do the job.

Thank you for the input, yes I lived in China for 4 years, I've seen mixed reports on the whoosh, it does tick some of the boxes, what I will does select a shortlist after i have looked over yours and others comments.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Oxygen website well put together and bikes look good. I can't see any dealers in Scotland, nearest is South Shields?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oxygen website well put together and bikes look good. I can't see any dealers in Scotland, nearest is South Shields?
Probably, although if you ring Oxygen the guy who owns the company often answers the phone so you can get the gen straight from the top.

Woosh don't have dealers, but they are helpful so might send a bike on approval.

Another that's worth a look is Wisper.

Their Torque bike has been getting good reports on here, although as is so often the case with budget Chinese, there has been some electrical niggles.

David - the owner - posts on here and the company is genuinely renowned for customer service.

They also have dealers, including a couple in Scotland.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Probably, although if you ring Oxygen the guy who owns the company often answers the phone so you can get the gen straight from the top.

Woosh don't have dealers, but they are helpful so might send a bike on approval.

Another that's worth a look is Wisper.

Their Torque bike has been getting good reports on here, although as is so often the case with budget Chinese, there has been some electrical niggles.

David - the owner - posts on here and the company is genuinely renowned for customer service.

They also have dealers, including a couple in Scotland.
Thanks.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

How difficult is it to change the gears? If I'm mostly on the flat can I just leave it in one gear?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
If you're talking about the Automatix system, it changes up at about 11.5MPH without you having to do anything. To change back down, slow to less than 11.5MPH, stop pedalling and it happens automatically. No cables or shifters required.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
If you're talking about the Automatix system, it changes up at about 11.5MPH without you having to do anything. To change back down, slow to less than 11.5MPH, stop pedalling and it happens automatically. No cables or shifters required.
Thanks, how does that compare with your Oxygen?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How difficult is it to change the gears? If I'm mostly on the flat can I just leave it in one gear?
that's what you can do with the Big Bear. You select a gear that suits your cadence (typically 5th or 6th) then leave the gear at that. The motor will fill in the gap, no matter headwinds or hills.
The Big Bear has 20A controller. I believe the Oxygen has 15A controller.

Reactions: Andy88

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Andy
There are so many bikes to choose from - you should rely on a test-ride to confirm your choice.
Shops in Ayrshire are few - you could try M8 Cycles just south east of Glasgow or test ride a few before you re-locate.

Your budget will get you a very decent bike - you don't need any large or heavy battery for instance and hydraulic brakes would be a luxury too (unless you have limited strength in your hands, for any reason).

Can't see any good reason for you to "need" a crank drive, which are far from simple in design and can also add weight and noise.

I think you might as well focus on styling as much as anything, and certainly size and fit. If you love the look of your bike and it rides comfortably and generally makes you feel good, then you'll use it more, which is generally the goal.

Hope you can take a look at our range of bikes.

Reactions: Andy88

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Can't see any good reason for you to "need" a crank drive, which are far from simple in design and can also add weight and noise.
that's not my experience. They are about same.
motors run quieter at higher speed. Typically, CD motors have higher reduction ratios and run at higher speed.
The key difference is that you have to be in the right gear with CD motors while you don't have to change gear with geared hubs. While it can be a pain to have to shift gears to suit the terrain, you get a bit more efficiency out of your CD motor (when in the right gear).

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hi Andy
There are so many bikes to choose from - you should rely on a test-ride to confirm your choice.
Shops in Ayrshire are few - you could try M8 Cycles just south east of Glasgow or test ride a few before you re-locate.

Your budget will get you a very decent bike - you don't need any large or heavy battery for instance and hydraulic brakes would be a luxury too (unless you have limited strength in your hands, for any reason).

I think you might as well focus on styling as much as anything, and certainly size and fit. If you love the look of your bike and it rides comfortably and generally makes you feel good, then you'll use it more, which is generally the goal.

Hope you can take a look at our range of bikes.
Im considering a juicy bike but can I get one with a throttle? I understand new law only permits up to 6kmph but if i take the responsibility can I get the dealer to de restrict this so I can use it up to 15.5 as I'm led to believe if at all it won't be enforced till 2018.

Andy

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Andy,

Ive been in touch with John, he has been very helpful, thank you for the input.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

Hi Warwick, I think I should try and master the geared options just so much more choice.