Need help with Ebike choice

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep d8veh, what I was trying to say was that, I would be gutted, if having ordered an ebike that I assumed was a Bafang Max Drive motor type, but turned up with the Bafang 8fun kit motor on it, as obviously the two motors are worlds apart.

Going of the adds and images, the Greenway ebike, appears to have the Bafang Max Drive motor, but in the text there is no details about the motor apart from it's a Bafang motor drive, I could be overly suspicious, but surely if you were selling Ebikes using the Bafang Max Drive motor, you would make a big thing about it in your advertising.

Or it could just be as Andy88 points out, simply a case of abysmal marketing.

I wonder if anyone on here has bought one, the £1000 price tag, would make it a bargain would it not?

D

Deleted member 4366

Their hub-motored bikes are £700. The CD one is £1100, which sounds about right.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep d8veh, I would agree for a bike with a kit type CD motor lashed to it, but for a CD bike with a specific motor like the Bafang Max Drive or Bosch even, you normally see prices starting at close on £2000 and upwards from there.

D

Deleted member 4366

Compare a Freego hub-motor bike with a similar ebay bike. The price is nearly double. You're paying for the backup, warranty, service and peace of mind. Their Max-drive bikes are about £1700, so £1100 for a Max-drive bike on Ebay sounds about right. The £1100 one has the same motor and control system, so reliability should be similar. It could even be made in the same factory or a better one

If I were after a Max-drive bike, I would take the E-bay one because, for me, it's no problem to make minor adjustments if it needs it. I'd probably swap some components anyway. On the other hand, if you can't tell one end of a bike from the other, you need a shop to take it back to. That's what you pay for with the Freego. They have a large distribution network, so there's always somewhere to take your bike. If you don't need that, buy the Ebay one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andy88

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you are in between, buy a Woosh :D.
The Max mid drive is available in two versions: 250W and 350W.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep d8veh, I am not to bad at tinkering with bike's I even had a hand in the design of mine and a couple of other Rohloff specific bikes.

Son (31) is a Bicycle mechanic, for a retailer and we have a fully kitted workshop here at home.

Looks like eBay here I come, for my Bafang Max Drive ebike!

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Lots of photos please!

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yes, I'm sure woosh will be able to get well under the £1699 price tag that the other company are offering, maybe wisper will take a stab at a mid-drive too.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Andy88, I guess the race is on to bring a Bafang Max Drive CD bike to market at a sensible price, I am guessing sub £1,250 will be the sweet spot.

May the best ebike retailer win, no pressure then!

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Im waiting to see a Dell ebike model where you can build your own online, you pick motor, battery, frame, brakes, crank, wheels etc.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Actually thought about doing it myself but need too many resources. I know China inside out spent 5 glorious years there all within manufacturers r&d and production departments.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes, I'm sure woosh will be able to get well under the £1699 price tag that the other company are offering, maybe wisper will take a stab at a mid-drive too.
We made a Maxi drive trail bike and showed the bike at Eurobike and the Cycle Show NEC back in 2015. The interest was not huge and it was generally felt that our rear hub system was better, so we decided to put the bike on ice. We may revisit the project later in 2017.

FAR_7684.jpg

FAR_7685.jpg

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Just checking you were awake David :)
Seriously, I think it would be a winner but understand its not such an easy task from concept to production.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That is a production model, we hung fire on building more for the reasons stated. The Maxi Drive system has started getting some favourable comments so we may reconsider.

Our main aim next season is not to run out of stock of our existing models and to produce a 24" version of the 705se. 2016 was a year of the empty warehouse! In 2017 we have ordered a 40ft HT container to arrive every 14 days from the 1st of Feb. The Torque bikes in particular were out of stock as soon as they arrived last year, it was embarrassing!

All the best, David