Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

garyrmck

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 17, 2016
Geelong Australia
Hi,
I've just come across this bike from Dillinger:

http://dillengerelectricbikes.com.au/featured-products/hunter-bbs-electric-mountain-bike-by-dillenger.html

This has the advantage of a big 1000watt motor that can be reprogrammed to the street legal power of 250watts easily using a handheld programming device. This would mean it can be used for normal riding, or switched to an off road powerhouse.......Seems very popular in the US. Batteries are half the price of the big names, spares are readily available and very active people around the net.

My only query is that it lacks a torque sensor - how important is this? All the bikes I've tried so far have had this, so don't have a point of comparison yet.
Sorry for so many queries, but as I'm retired, have to make the best possible purchase first time. I do like the idea of being able to maintain something myself. I do worry a bit about the cost of repairs post warranty to the big names - is this an unwarranted fear?
cheers
Gary in Australia

garyrmck

Dec 17, 2016
Geelong Australia
Hi,
thanks to those who replied to my query about ebikes.

Today, after riding several different brands and bikes I placed a deposit on a bike. I changed my mind about buying a mountain bike, and spent 50% more than I had budgeted for.

Selected a Haibike XDuro Trekking RX after having received some guidance from an extremely patient retailer. I had a good ride, and it had the same sort of feel as the other Haibikes I had ridden each of which was noticeably better to me than the other brands I tried.

have to wait until next Wednesday as the shop had to order one in for me in the right frame size. The retailer insisted that the one I tried was too big and that I would end up with a better posture after he adjusted the smaller one to suit me.

Very happy.
cheers
Gary in Australia

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi,

Today, after riding several different brands and bikes I placed a deposit on a bike. I changed my mind about buying a mountain bike, and spent 50% more than I had budgeted for.

Selected a Haibike XDuro Trekking RX after having received some guidance from an extremely patient retailer. I had a good ride, and it had the same sort of feel as the other Haibikes I had ridden each of which was noticeably better to me than the other brands I tried.

have to wait until next Wednesday as the shop had to order one in for me in the right frame size. The retailer insisted that the one I tried was too big and that I would end up with a better posture after he adjusted the smaller one to suit me.

Very happy.
cheers
Gary in Australia
Gary,
How tall are you and what size did you order

garyrmck

Dec 17, 2016
Geelong Australia
Hi,
I'm 174cm and I think the size ordered was 48? I may be wrong my order was for was one size smaller than the demo unit - I found the reach to the handlebars slightly larger than I wanted. The shop owner was the same height as me and ordered me the size he rides...
cheers
Gary

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Hi,

Very happy.
cheers
Gary in Australia
Hi Gary, I've seen the Haibike XDuro for sale here and they look a very nice bike - I would love one.
What you call mountains in Aussie are really only hills, so a Trekker will be ideal!!

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Look forward to reading about your ride from Perth to Sydney :D

Enjoy your bike. Top quality.

garyrmck

Dec 17, 2016
Geelong Australia
Hi,
picked the bike up today - day late and couldn't wait to hop on for a ride. The retailer was right about the size, and after he fitted a couple of spacers to the stem it felt terrific. Rides like a dream, and with Turbo mode hills just vanish....

Have ordered an Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Lock to keep it secure. Not sure what panniers to buy - the rack has tubing that is 12.5mm wide by 20mm high - does anybody know if Ortlieb Q1 hooks will fit? Any others? Need a bit of help as I will have to buy online to save a few $. Would you believe the lock cost less than 50% of the Australian price even after paying postage from the UK?
cheers
Gary in Australia