Need to put my bike on a diet, suggestions?

James Lambert

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 10, 2017
London
Hi All,

I recently converted a Montague Paratropper to an ebike, thread here :
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/montague-paratrooper-cyclotricity-conversion-pics.28048/

Now the bike without the motor and battery was 32lbs so I am guessing with the battery and motor it's now around 40lbs maybe more, which isn't a problem because I have the motor but is there any tips for getting some weight off the bike?

I have also replaced the tyres with the below just to avoid punctures as replacing the rear is a pain in the A***:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-smartguard-mtb-tyre/?utm_source=order-placed-sg01-en&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orders&utm_content=product

Carbon handlebars, crankset, derailleur's, seatpost etc etc etc do these actually make any noticeable difference? If so what do you recommend.

Original spec of the bike is here:
https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/paratrooper/

Any help appreciated.

J

D

Deleted member 4366

You're in denial about the weight. The motor is about 6kg and the battery probably 4kg. That's 22 pounds. Add the wight of the rack, controller, tyres and other stuff and that makes about 58 pounds in my reckoning. In my experience, a typical MTB with that kit weighs about 28 kg, which is 62 pounds.

The cheapest way to save weight would be to chuck the motor and get something like a Q128H, which you'll probably find much better as well as a savin 3 or 4kg. Next, get or ake a lightweight rack, take the cell-pack out of the battery case and put it in a bag of some sort. That'll save another kg.

Both those changes will save weight from where you need it. It would be a complete waste of time and money trying to save a few grammes by fitting carbon fibre bars, high spec gears and cranks, pedals, etc while you have all that ballast on the back of your bike.

Even easier would be to eat nothing but salads for a month. That will save you about 3 or 4kg for nothing.

James Lambert

Jun 10, 2017
London
Thanks for the reply and I agree I wont be swapping out parts if its just going to save me a few grammes especially given the price of carbon parts.

For now I will live with it, its not causing me an issue was just curious.

One thing I don't understand with your reply though, if you could explain that would be great and thats "salads"....?!?!!?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, I didn't know what salads were either until I started eating them after last Xmas. Now, I'm 20kg lighter. That's more than your motor and battery weight. Imagine getting the power you have now on the bike as it originally was before you fitted the kit. That's what it's like only better.

A word of advice though: They don't work if you eat pies in between. I don't know why, but the pies must neutralise whatever the ingredient in the salad is that makes you lose weight. Pies must be like kryptonite for salads.

Salads:

James Lambert

Jun 10, 2017
London
Yes, I didn't know what salads were either until I started eating them after last Xmas. Now, I'm 20kg lighter. That's more than your motor and battery weight. Imagine getting the power you have now on the bike as it originally was before you fitted the kit. That's what it's like only better.

A word of advice though: They don't work if you eat pies in between. I don't know why, but the pies must neutralise whatever the ingredient in the salad is that makes you lose weight. Pies must be like kryptonite for salads.

Salads:

Interesting, might give it a go. I take it you can get this "salad" stuff in any decent garden centre?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats my fuel supply ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I make mine - kind of like kit vs. Bosch ready built really :rolleyes: I think my salad tastes better than the Bosch and Yamaha salads...:rolleyes: Maybe because I have a top secret vinaigrette recipe, I am the Paul Newman of vinaigrette :D

And, are you seated? We actually grow some of the ingredients! Or catch them, cuttlefish and rice salade anyone?

D

Deleted member 4366

I make mine - kind of like kit vs. Bosch ready built really :rolleyes: I think my salad tastes better than the Bosch and Yamaha salads...:rolleyes: Maybe because I have a top secret vinaigrette recipe, I am the Paul Newman of vinaigrette :D

And, are you seated? We actually grow some of the ingredients! Or catch them, cuttlefish and rice salade anyone?
That's interesting. I hate salad and especially the dressings. What I do is put a big dob of Homepride Hunters Chicken sauce on it and stir it in. It completely changes the taste to something quite tolerable. It feels like you're eating something substantial instead of rabbit food.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

QFour

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2017
I had the same problem with my MTB. It's Ok building these bikes but the weight can be a killer especially when you need to lift it into a Motorhome garage. Ok you can take the battery off and I had to remove the front wheel but it was still a struggle and I am not getting any younger. Built my wife one a couple of years ago and she has always had trouble moving it about. It was also top heavy with the battery on a rack.

[/URL][/IMG]

Bought a couple of these instead. They are only 11.5 kg so with Bafang Fun motor and battery should be around 18 kg with the motor and battery. With the motor fitted they are very easy to pedal. I was waiting for the batteries to arrive so took one out for a spin.

Just got to decide about the front cog. Its got a 46T one on at the moment so is very easy to pedal. Not after any great speed and stick mainly to hard surfaces.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I agree about the weight of e-bikes, they are heavy, my problem with the above bike and others of its type is that they look like kids bikes, small wheels too, no idea how they perform but 30 miles on that, I have doubts and I just wouldn't want to be seen on them but to each their own.

QFour

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2017
For what we need them for they are just the job. My MTB had a Bafang 350w motor driving the front chain wheel. It's a lighter unit than the big motor in yours. I overcame the gear problem with a SRam DD3 hub on the rear. That will give you 3 x 8 gears which was more than enough. It would climb most hills. Biggest advantage is the smaller motor is under less strain. Bigger motors need bigger batteries so you can use a smaller battery so less weight. You also spread the load between the wheels which gets away from the massive weight you have inside the rear wheel.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers