Needs to go on a diet

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have built the bike with the plan to cycle back from Shoeburyness [southend] along the Thames cycle route approx. 40 -45 miles twists and turns, so I purchased the huge tri angle battery 36 v 27.5 ah after several test runs the longest 27 miles the battery is easily capable of the trip even on full level 9 but the problem came in the shape of a locked 5 bar gate .it goes uphill gives good speed overall I am pleased but I could not lift it over the …… gate so moral of the tale what looked good in the best laid plans steel frame alfine 8 :oops:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need a battery powered angle grinder... :rolleyes: For the gates of course :D. Or a healthy passer by.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
You just forget about the gates with an unpowered bike just flip it over the top bar
if I had got further I would have encountered the ladder over the sea wall at Tilbury fort its very steep and about 12foot high with a channel that guides your wheels will have to have a rethink

D

Deleted member 4366

Long sigh. I have many happy memories of Tilbury Fort. Some include randy Mandy from E. Tilbury, but most of them from fishing in front of it. Thanks for reminding me. Sorry it didn't work so well for you. it'll have to be the A13 next time.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
You are welcome the national cycle path runs right past the tilbury fort and along to coalhouse fort and on to south end, the ride from Rspb in Rainham to coalhouse fort is a favorite of mine the only path not on the river is the bit at tilbury port it is now a popular weekend ride for the London crowd most of who drive to the rspb and park or get the train to Rainham

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I have built the bike with the plan to cycle back from Shoeburyness [southend] along the Thames cycle route approx. 40 -45 miles twists and turns, so I purchased the huge tri angle battery 36 v 27.5 ah after several test runs the longest 27 miles the battery is easily capable of the trip even on full level 9 but the problem came in the shape of a locked 5 bar gate .it goes uphill gives good speed overall I am pleased but I could not lift it over the …… gate so moral of the tale what looked good in the best laid plans steel frame alfine 8 :oops:
Glad to hear I'm not alone with the " oh bugger how do I get over this" problem. It's the triangle battery more than the weight, I just can't lift the bike to the required height. Back tracking and ending up on A roads can really spoil the day.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
now I know about the problem, hope I dont make the mistake again [ but I get senior moments :p] but the tri angle battery is the only way to package that many cells, the bike eats the steepest hills and you do not have to power save even after a 2 hour ride on the throttle power only on 9 I have yet to find the max range the pack is the same size as the 52 v triangle the cloth bag it came with was useless the box has very little weight perhaps I will fit handles or a winch

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Disadvantages of a heavy over specced battery, lifting and obstacles.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi Nealh

Yes I agree I got greedy with the battery size but :) per mile on the flat road is worth it, I have not had to do the walk of shame yet but it would make a great battery for a trike

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
Just a quick up date ordered its diet pills this week eagerly awaiting the delivery van hope it will loose 2-4 kilo and get a makeover:eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi
Just a quick up date ordered its diet pills this week eagerly awaiting the delivery van hope it will loose 2-4 kilo and get a makeover:eek:

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Hi
That's a fair bit of weight..I've been looking at controllers for 36v 350w..but it seems it's the same controller as used on the 250w..haven't managed to find anymore info on the difference between the two as of yet..lol

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
the controller has another level we cannot access with hard written commands everybody is out of stock over here of replacements

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Devise a way to have the battery easily removable, then lift the bike over in 2 lumps. Reassemble on the other side

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The plan is to remove the battery box and fit a hailong style to this bike and put the triangle on another build but in a smaller box, it only took 3 or 4 days to build the box:( but it is a mistake I will not make again above all it has to be easy to ride:D

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes looks good but whilst working it fell off the stand and broke a brake lever
have no skin left on knuckles and many cuts and scrapes both need a test ride