New annoying noise when I pedal

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi

Well the bike was not making this new noise until I oiled chain and left it overnight as usual. The very next morning it started making a noise like a ratchet in unwind mode.... Does that make sense. It only does this when pedals under 'force' so when downhill or usually on a flat it doesn't do anything as I am hardly contributing power myself with feet...

The noise used to be each pedal revolution but now I think it is each time each side pedals go towards ground position.. I think it then does the noise twice each circle of pedal revolution.... Had a look at websites about such noises but thought I'd ask here to see if it can be solved.. Really annoying me now! It is a KTM Macina with Bosch stuff.... Ad dual hs funny stuff .. Derailleur thing and hub thing I think!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Sounds very much like the chain trying to get on a new cog but not quite doing it.
Could be oil has got on a gear cable which perhaps wasn't fully tight and allowed it to slip slightly under tension and cause the gear changer to now need adjusting.
I would check gear cables first to see if they have slipped a bit, if so try to return to their original position and tighten before adjusting.
The noise may be more pronounced when the chain is tight which happens when you pedal harder and put it under load.
It helps if you can get the back wheel off the ground and pedal forward whilst changing gears and adjusting at the same time.
Apologies if you have already done this.
Dave.

Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I get this annoying noise when I pedal, its kind of a wheezing, gasping sound. Only happens for a while then I have to stop and have a rest..........

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Wissy, first you need to check the hub adjustment on the SRAM Dual-drive. Place the thumb slider into the mid position, then make sure the two yellow bars are lined up in the window of the click box mounted on the right-hand end of the rear axle. If they are not, adjust the upper cable on the handlebar shifter..which ever way is needed to line the yellow bars up.

If the noise is still heard, the derailleur adjustment is the lower cable on the handlebar shifter. You can make the adjustment while you're riding... just turn the adjuster whilst pedalling until the chain runs quietly. By the sound of it, the adjuster needs turning in three or four clicks.

Really speaking, you should have a copy of the SRAM Dual-drive service leaflet included in the documentation that came with the machine.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks... i do have the leaflet from Electrifying Cycles it's just too complex and I don't know where to start.

I will now try to decipher what you said about the yellow things lining up..... I know that when the thumb thing is in the furthest right position it makes another different noise until I press the thumb thing a bit more to the right then noise oes but the lever thumb thing will not stay in that position.. That is a different noise though...

rying to figure out the new one and why oiling it started the noise along.. Ok.. Going to hallway to try and find yellow thing.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
adjust the upper cable on the handlebar shifter

Which cable is this and what is the handlebar shifter?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
How do you adjust a gear cable and whee is the thing to adjust? I get lost with manuals sorry.. Need stuff described like black little box on the end of.... And i will get it.... Be patient?? Xxx

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I have taken pannier off (it helps to see) and put the thumb thing in middle position.

I tried figuring out what the yellow thing was / where supposed to be but....

There seems to be a picture of a ladder on the right and some other symbolon the left. Inside is a disgonal yellow bar sort on underneath the symbol on the left... Where should this yellow disgonal line be positioned?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Here is photo of it yesterday

And photo just now

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here is photo of it yesterday

And photo just now

Wissy,

When looking from above the yellow line inside the plastic should sit between the 2 yellow lines (ladder) on the cover..

Or in wissy talk - the yellow thingy that moves when you change gear thingy should sit in t middle of the yellow ladder thingy ;)

But to me it looks a whole gear out at the moment. So check what gear you have it in on the shifter before adjusting it.

Regards
Martin

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi Martin xxx

Understood your wissy soeak perfectly.. Nope it is nowhere near ladder....

Which gear shoukd it be in and by that you mean the number thing? The knob thumb thing is in the middle of the three options....

And I am still not sure what I need to do to fix it.. Change something somwhere near the handle?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Oops.. Thought thumb control switch thing was on middle one but I am a fool... Wasn't but is now and so is the yellow in middle of ladder.....

So where are these things for me to move 3 or 4 'in' to seee if that works?

I will try that first then ask more about the gear cable and oil contact suggestion on how to do that.....

Still odd that oiling makes worse...!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Wissy if you are still having problems let me know happy to decode instructions for you if you still find them confusing. I will drop you an email explaining how to reset gears in more detail.

However the adjustments Martin described well in Wissy language are correct. Apologies for not replying yesterday only just seen your message. Was too busy selling bikes yesterday so did not get chance to look at pedelecs.

Many thanks,
David

Last edited:

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I've got two new Bosch driven bikes and one developed a clicking noise in the bottom bracket after a week, it's in the bike shop now - lack of grease, not uncommon apparently. When I pick up the bike they will grease up the other one as a precaution.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Ok.. Noise is really annoying me now.. Amost a squelching noise today. Or a wierd duck and nope it isn't my buttox... Or the saddle!!

So how do I check the things you told me to check. Idiot's guide please?

Thanks

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Wissy if you are still having problems let me know happy to decode instructions for you if you still find them confusing. I will drop you an email explaining how to reset gears in more detail.

However the adjustments Martin described well in Wissy language are correct. Apologies for not replying yesterday only just seen your message. Was too busy selling bikes yesterday so did not get chance to look at pedelecs.

Many thanks,
David
No worries Dave. time I stand on my own two feet with some stuff and stop hassling you.. Will hassle rest of world instead.. Also handy to get other people's ideas.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I taped a bullet cam onto the rear fork and sent the video to the dealer - they sent it on to Bosch who diagnosed lack of grease. If the noise is every pedal revolution it points to the bottom bracket or the chain wheel. Try the bike with the motor off, my clicking noise was only under power.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Or the simple option... Stick some headphones in so you can't hear it ;)
LOL. That's what I do to drown out derailleur noise ! ... also helps keep your cadence up when out for a bit of exercise ... depending on what's coming through them ;)

I've yet to find the answer to avoiding supplementing my diet with flying protein if I breathe through my mouth .... draw the line at a face mask and keeping my trap shut has never been a strong point !