New Bike: Battery question

Keats

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Hi there. I am new here and new to electric bikes too so forgive me if this is too daft a question.
I got my new Wisper 905 Sport on Saturday and have been having a great time on it. Things certainly have improved from the old butcher's bike I had when I was much, much younger.
I am a bit confused though about breaking in the battery.
I got the bike fully charged and have been running around on it for a few days until yesterday it went completely flat - dead, no power,nada. So I got it home, presuming that it needed a good long charge. plugged it in expecting it to take about 12 hours (I must have read that somewhere). But the amber light changed to green within about an hour. Would this be right? Is it fully charged now, do you think. Was I hallucinating about the 12 hours charge foir the first three times?
Cheers
Keats

yusstay

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2010
Angus
I can't answer on the time it takes to charge but for the first few times to normalize your battery for optimum use and power, you discharge it fully, then recharge it fully. Basically breaking in the battery, same as your mobile phone or digital cameras etc.

I've never taken anywhere near 12 hours for a charge, normally i plug mine in when i arrive at work at 8am and then when i pick up my lunch around 1pm I notice it's fully charged from around 1-2 green lights to full.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
That sounds like strange behaviour to me, as a full charge with the standard Wisper charger takes somewhere between 4 and 6 hours. Could be that your charger is faulty, or wasn't connected firmly to the battery. Equally it could be the BMS (battery management system), which is a circuit board inside the battery pack that handles the regulation of charge/discharge.

I believe the new batteries have lights on them to indicate their charge status, does it show that it's fully charged?

When the bike cut out, did the electrics die completely, ie no lights on the handlebars etc?

paulmj21

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2011
I have a similar but not identical question. My 905 arrived this morning. I expected the battery would need a full charge (12 hours in the handbook). When I unpacked and switched on, all the green lights came on immediately. I proceeded to charge it anyway but the amber light on the charger turned to green within 45 mins and the fan went off around the same time. Can I assume the battery was precharged?

Thanks.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The way it all works is as follows;

After you have started the charging process and the green light comes on the battery is fully charged, the length of time could be anywhere between 1 minute and 3 hours depending on the state of the battery.

If the charger turns off and the fan stops before the green light comes on the charger has run through it's cycle. Turn the charger off leave it for a few minutes and turn it back on again to complete the charge. This situation is very rare and should not happen again after the first charge.

All Wisper batteries are pre charged and have conditioning charges every few weeks they are in storage. It may well be that your battery was fully charged when it arrived with you.

Any problems please let me know.

All the best

David

Keats

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Hi Again and thanks. The answer to your question Straylight is yes, everything went dead including the lights.

The little green lights on the battery itself and on the handlebars had been showing about two when it just stopped. My worry is that I take it out again and the same thing happens leaving me with a long run home. I live on the Black Isle in the Highlands in a very hilly area.
Keats

paulmj21

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2011
Thank you

Thank you David for your very swift reply, it was reassuring that my bike was practically ready to go, right out of the box. My first experience on a Wisper Bike today was totally amazing (and very comfortable).

Thanks again, Paul
Edinburgh

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Great news Paul, I am delighted you are enjoying your Wisper.

Thanks for your confidence in us and your order, it is appreciated. Please keep in touch.

Best regards

David

Keats

Just Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Thanks David. Will do. I just took it out again and the same thing happened. Straight from two lights on the battery to completely flat.
Keats

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Keats

Please let me know what happens, but you need to contact your supplier now or Wisper Support.

It may be something quite normal but I am not the best person to deal with the query.

Best regards

David

Advertisers