new bike for my daughter

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi folks,
My daugher who is now 7 ( and just over 4 feet high) has outgrown her bike and is expecting a rather large bearded gentelman to drop one down the Chimney some time soon.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations at around £100 (though obviously we won't have to pay that as it will be made by elves) as I am completely clueless.

Thanks in advance
musicbooks

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Hi folks,
My daugher who is now 7 ( and just over 4 feet high) has outgrown her bike and is expecting a rather large bearded gentelman to drop one down the Chimney some time soon.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations at around £100 (though obviously we won't have to pay that as it will be made by elves) as I am completely clueless.

Thanks in advance
musicbooks
It's a tough age to buy for, bikes jump from being quite child like (14-16 inch wheels with no gears) but some of the bigger wheeled bike just look too adult! You'd probably be best off going to a local bike shop and getting a sense of whether she is better suited to an 18" wheel bike, or a 20" wheel bike. I suspect the 16" ones will now (or will soon be) too small for her, though it really does depend on her size & growth rate.

I personally don't think you'd be going too far wrong with something like this:

Bikes 2U Direct -- Kids' bikes : 18" wheel, 6-9 yrs -- Raleigh Krush 18 07

Halfords | Raleigh Krush Girls Bike - 20"

I'd be interested to know whatever you decide to do. Cheers, Rus.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks Russ,
The prob witrh the Raleigh option is the steel frame. I find that they are just too heavy for small kids to lift or control easily, even her tiny 16" bike weighed a tonne. So an aluminium/alloy alternative would be preferred, even if we have to spalsh out a bit more.

BW
musicbooks

Butts

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 1, 2010
Found this for you
Claud Butler Sabre 20" - Girls - 2010 £135.99
from The Bike Outlet.
Also found a couple on E-bay.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks Russ,
The prob witrh the Raleigh option is the steel frame. I find that they are just too heavy for small kids to lift or control easily, even her tiny 16" bike weighed a tonne. So an aluminium/alloy alternative would be preferred, even if we have to spalsh out a bit more.

BW
musicbooks
I have an adults steel bike that weighs far less than my 4 year olds power rangers bike, steel doesn't have to make it heavy. I also find steel more comfortable.

Advertisers