New Bike

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Not sure if this was the section I should be posting this in but here goes.

I was in my local bike shop a couple of weeks back picking up some gear for my MTB (non electric) bike. The owners knew that I was considering buying an ebike at some stage and 'just happened" to wheel a Haibike past me - xtra large frame and all! I wasn't considering buying but had to take it for a short spin around the street, the fit was perfect and felt real comfortable. I was quite impressed
I didn't know the Haibike naming system but straight away realised that this must be their budget model. The price was pretty good but still not convinced as a bike purchase on the day was quite daunting. I normally like to research the model and reviews before buying. She came back with another discounted offer as we were "good customers" (Salesmen!). Anyway ended up purchasing a Sduro 4.0. 29er hardtail.
IMG_0444.JPG

The entry level Suntour forks did concern me but they have proven OK so far - these can be changed later anyway. Have had other bikes with Acera shifters and derailleur and always found these quite satisfactory. The Yamaha LED display did bother me but now that I'm used to it I have no problems - it gives me all the info I need, speed, battery, milage left and assist level - I have added a cateye for the odo and time. I had no knowledge of the Yamaha motor so I took a gamble, I'm not competent enough to compare it to other motors, but to me it's excellent, really liking the zero cadence although careful not to strain the drivegear. The 3 levels of assist (as the display is Yamaha there's no eco +) suits me fine.

Took a 50km trek last week through an old goldmining area which involved 10km on the road, 1000m climb over 8km and then another 5 km on a gradual rise, the rest being over gullys and downhill. Battery use showed 30% left after using a lot of high and standard assist. Came away feeling very happy and pleased with my impulsive purchase.

A few pictures of my ride.img Nevis.jpg img nevis 4.jpg
img nevis2.jpg

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
The term "pushing at an open door" comes to mind with your purchase.

Great choice, I have older more garish colour version, 900 miles of enjoyment so far.

I thought NZ was a green and pleasant land, looks more like "Dead man's gulch"

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Lovely bike and by the looks of the area your going to have great fun. The great thing about, so called entry level bikes is that you can upgrade. I'm sure you won't need to though.

Enjoy.

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
The term "pushing at an open door" comes to mind with your purchase.

Great choice, I have older more garish colour version, 900 miles of enjoyment so far.

I thought NZ was a green and pleasant land, looks more like "Dead man's gulch"
Hi IR772, you're right, NZ is mainly green and pleasant, but we live in the most inland area, on the 45 parallel where it's dry as old toast and searingly hot in summer, even drier and prickly cold in winter. The landscape has been scarred by the gold rush in the mid 1800's,, which my ancestors, who were a mix of Cornish and Irishmen came to seek their fortune. Some did find riches and returned home (UK) very wealthy. Most didn't, and were stuck in a strange land as couldn't afford passage home. Very hard on the woman folk as winters were atrociously cold, bringing up large families must have been terrible. I was told by my grandmother that her mother felt trapped in NZ but just had to make do.

Great spot for riding though.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
It must be terrible to feel trapped like that. I feel sorry for your great grandma. Still, the pics look great. :)

I'd imagine that this landscape would be hard work on a regular MTB. I always find more time to enjoy the views on an e-MTB. :)
Funny you should mention that LP, I'm finding riding a lot easier on the ebike, I wouldn't call myself an expert on a normal mtb bike by a long shot, but I've been riding for the last 20 odd years, I'm finding the instant power gives me far better control around rocks and obstacles, although thought I may have been getting over enthusiastic with the thrill of the new bike.

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Funny you should mention that LP, I'm finding riding a lot easier on the ebike, I wouldn't call myself an expert on a normal mtb bike by a long shot, but I've been riding for the last 20 odd years, I'm finding the instant power gives me far better control around rocks and obstacles, although thought I may have been getting over enthusiastic with the thrill of the new bike.
Yeah, I get carried away at times too. I'm sure that we all do. Or, at least those that go cross country. :)

I'd never been cross country on a bike, until I got an ebike. Now, I often find myself looking for the path of the 'most resistance'. :eek:

I must be enjoying the thrill of the ride a bit too much. :oops:

Reactions: Steve A

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm not sure I have ever been up the Nevis, there aren't an awful lot of roads around there... I have spent a lot of time all around in the more civilised parts of Central Otago though, used to go ice skating on the small lake just north of Alexandra. And of course up every weekend in fruit season so that mother could make preserves. My eldest boy was down your way this past christmas.

• Informative

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
I'm not sure I have ever been up the Nevis, there aren't an awful lot of roads around there... I have spent a lot of time all around in the more civilised parts of Central Otago though, used to go ice skating on the small lake just north of Alexandra. And of course up every weekend in fruit season so that mother could make preserves. My eldest boy was down your way this past christmas.
Hi AK. Yes, the Nevis is a bit out of the way but there's some great rides up there, big event once a year is the Pub to Pub MTB race from Garston Pub to Bannockburn pub. 80 kms of gutbusting riding, usually attracts several hundred competitors.
Also love the tracks around the Manorburn Dam (where you would have gone skating) and of course the Central Otago Rail Trail passes close by. A pioneering project in NZ, this is where 150km of old rail track was lifted and a bike trail constructed - world renowned and passes over numerous bridges, viaducts and through tunnels, tens of thousands bike it each year and has given an economic boost to the region.
Hope your son enjoyed his stay here and weather treated him ok - Queenstown seems to be very attractive to the younger ones!

A couple of pics to show that not all of Central Otago is "dead mans gulch"!
IMG_0416.JPG Cairnmure.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers