New Bosch drive Halfords Carrera bikes

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Some changes on the Halfords website Carrera, Crossfuse now showing 3 Mens sizes.

17" (product code 488364)
19" (product code 488372)
21" (product code 488380)

17" was originally the only size showing, as 18"

Also waiting to see if 500Wh battery is available as an option instead of 400Wh battery, although upon asking was told no, but could be ordered as an additional/spare battery, price of 500Wh battery TBA.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
halfords are pretty good with on line ordering. You can order to pay in store on collection and then change your mind when you get tyo see
Yes they are good like that, I just went through the process just to see if it realy was available. A good bike if your on a budget or just want a utility bike without any style.
I'll stick with the cube I have on order :)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
halfords are pretty good with on line ordering. You can order to pay in store on collection and then change your mind when you get tyo see it
That'll be interesting if they sell the batteries separately, meaning discount can be had in the same as mentioned earlier in the thread. Presumably these Bosch batteries fit other models?

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
There are at least two ebike retailers that make regular post's on here, that have been deafeningly quiet about the arrival of the Halfords Carrera Crossfuse.

I think that speaks volumes in itself.

This is a very brave move by Halfords into premium ebike's, and I think that they are onto a winner.

I am sure the £1600 price tag, will soon come down to sub, £1500 that's when the real fun will begin.

I am lucky to be able to get 25% of the Crossfuse, but just keeping my powder dry, untill I know more about battery options if any.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Just thought, as a comparison the cube acid one is also available with a 400 battery for £1,599

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
£200 extra for style could be worth it to some, but I am a practical type of guy!
With your discount it'll be £400 extra for the Cube.
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the Cube, would be top of my list (Cube Cross Hybird One 2018) @ £1600, especially the new version with the same motor but more integrated battery. But £400 goes a long way to buying an extra battery, giving you monster touring range. I love the idea of doing 90-100 mile days trekking across europe, which is doable with an extra battery

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Gubbins, not sure that these new Bosch motors will suffer from the Bosch bearing problem, as the internal gearing has been virtually eleminated due to the Direct Drive design and full size 42T Chain Ring.

Quite so egroover, it would be nice to end up with a 400Wh and 500Wh battery, although I would settle for just the 500Wh battery if that is an option.

All work in progress at the moment.

Azzuri_UK

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2017
UK
Long time lurker, guess I had to make a post eventually...

I've also been following the appearance of the Crossfuse on the Halfords with some interest.

I've been riding a Greenedge CS2 for the last 20 or so months but it appears to be dead/dying an there is a god awful knocking noise coming from the motor and my local bike shop says they can't do anything to fix it and the Crossfuse appeared online just as I was shopping around for bikes.

There is a Halfords within spitting distance of my office so I just took a walk over there in my lunch hour. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw they had a Crossfuse on display so I spoke to the guy at the bike counter about taking it for a test ride. He said it had only gone out on display today and a test ride would be fine so I signed my life away in some sort of waiver form and went out for a short ride on it.

I'll preface this with the fact I'm not E-Bike expert, I've been riding around for almost a couple of years on my budget CS2 and have test ridden a few more "premium" bikes in the last couple of days such as the Ridgeback E-Flight but that's about it. I'm also what can only be described as fat :D

I was really impressed with it on my short test ride of about a mile and a half. It was a much more comfortable ride than either my CS2 or the E-flight (but then the e-flight is probably the wrong sort of bike for someone like me) and it all just felt so smooth. Even coming back up a half decent hill I couldn't hear the motor when I did notice the noise on the Steps motor on the e-flight on a similar hill. I had been contemplating getting something like another CS2 but there's no chance now. Maybe it was just me but the bosch system felt much smoother than the steps systems I had tried.

I liked it enough that I've gone and reserved one, should be able to pick it up middle of next week so I guess I'll get the joys and pains of being an early adopter...

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If your not already a member, join British cycling. For £33 you'll get a years membership, that includes liability insurance, legal support and 10% off at halfords ( and other places aswell )
liked it enough that I've gone and reserved one, should be able to pick it up middle of next week so I guess I'll get the joys and pains of being an early adopter

mark81

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 17, 2017
Northants
If your not already a member, join British cycling. For £33 you'll get a years membership, that includes liability insurance, legal support and 10% off at halfords ( and other places aswell )
Regarding that 10% discount, do you know if it applies to bikes which have been reduced in price?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Regarding that 10% discount, do you know if it applies to bikes which have been reduced in price?
Yep no problem, you can use after all other sale prices or discounts, just cannot use it with cycle to work scheme. Really looking forward to owners review, keep us posted, cheers

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Azzuri, did you notice if the brake levers cut off power to the motor when activated.

Not sure if the brake levers are ebike specific, with a cable connection to the motor.

To be fair I am not even sure how Bosch motor ebikes, stop the motor when brakes are applied, or when gear changes are being made.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Not sure if the brake levers are ebike specific, with a cable connection to the motor.
The Bosch motor system is torque activated, it measures the pressure on the pedals so when you stop pedalling the motor stops, no need for a brake sensor. No one would keep pedalling whilst applying the brakes, would they ?
I ease off on the pedals a spit second before changing gear (8 speed IHG) and it runs sweet. More recent models may have gear sensing ability and control the power accordingly.
What with electronic shifting, ABS, puncture resistant tyres & sat nav on bikes ( not forgetting airbag helmets ) the new generation of cyclists has it too easy

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks Gringo, I understand now about the brake motor thing.

So glad that I decided not to go for one of the Bafang BB kits.

The Crossfuse seems perfect for my needs.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
disregarding discounts I can see these selling because there are lots of Halfords outlets, for me nearest at 3 miles.
descent warrenty on bike and battery.
but you need to be bosch ebike trained to work on bosch systems.

I would really like to know what Halfords price for a 400 watt battery would be for the crossfuse compared to other outlets?
perhaps azzuri uk could ask when next in halfordsd

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Halfords price match, so I don't see a problem with battery price, add to that "British Cycling Membership" 10% discount = happy days!

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
Im also interested in this bike as a replacement for my woosh Krieger as she's getting a bit tired now.

No stores near me have one to test tho so eagerly awaiting impressions from someone on here