New boy on the block.

Roger ramjet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
hi all I have had an electric bike for four years now, I never went far on it but it did quite a few trips up the pub. I've just started going further afield, up to 40 miles return trips.
But now the 10ah battery is starting to show wear, I can't get a straight forward replacement from the vendors,
I wanted to upgrade to a 15ah battery but would have to replace the back receiver or have the battery case re stuffed, the end story is the thick end of £400 to keep the bike going.
I never saw that coming when I bought the bike , dead battery buy new bike,
So I'm looking for a new bike, I've seen one ,but only to see others on the forum complain about the battery of said bike manufacturers , the way I see it is you don't buy a new car because the battery dies, I think cycle dealers should take a bit more of a responsibility in the aftermarket
I think most would agree the industry is taking the Pi*****out of us.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think most would agree the industry is taking the Pi*****out of us.
I don't agree, batteries are expensive. If good quality ones could be sold much more cheaply some companies would be doing that and stealing all the business. Just look at the prices of e-cars and their batteries.

We have a choice, pay dearly to be environmental with e-bikes and e-cars, or buy mopeds and ic cars, much cheaper over time.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

the end story is the thick end of £400 to keep the bike going.
That might be the ending of one story, but there's other stories for you and your battery that don't end like that. Perhaps if you tell us what you have, we can give you a different ending.

• Agree

Roger ramjet

Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
That might be the ending of one story, but there's other stories for you and your battery that don't end like that. Perhaps if you tell us what you have, we can give you a different ending.
Hi there , yes it's a 4 year old woosh sirocco with a 10ah battery. I wanted a 15ah re placement, I had been offered a 13 ah ,both of which requires a new
Back rack, woosh have been helpful, but as the battery life was expected 4 years
I can't help thinking you would still be able to replace with the same case, I estimate the bike has done no more than 500 miles.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I estimate the bike has done no more than 500 miles.
Yes it's a sad fact that batteries die with age, whether used or not, and your four years is a good life. Even the hugely expensive e-car batteries have time based warranties, not mileage based.

All part of the cost of running electric instead of fossil fuel.

• Informative

Roger ramjet

Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
I don't agree, batteries are expensive. If good quality ones could be sold much more cheaply some companies would be doing that and stealing all the business. Just look at the prices of e-cars and their batteries.

We have a choice, pay dearly to be environmental with e-bikes and e-cars, or buy mopeds and ic cars, much cheaper over time.
I think you have missed my point, which is I've gone back to the supplier and there is no easy back up , they can't replace my. Battery they don't do it any more, I would not have bought a bike from them if I had known this, it was not take your chances end of line , I expected the battery to die but I also expected to be able to replace it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you have missed my point, which is I've gone back to the supplier and there is no easy back up , they can't replace my. Battery they don't do it any more, I would not have bought a bike from them if I had known this, it was not take your chances end of line , I expected the battery to die but I also expected to be able to replace it.
Thanks for the clarification, I agree that this has been a big problem and I advise others not to buy e-bikes with frame integrated batteries for that reason.

Your best solution is probably recelling, which with cell advances may well give you the extra capacity you want. The link given above is the most reliable receller.

• Agree

Roger ramjet

Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
Thanks for the clarification, I agree that this has been a big problem and I advise others not to buy e-bikes with frame integrated batteries for that reason.

Your best solution is probably recelling, which with cell advances may well give you the extra capacity you want. The link given above is the most reliable receller.
This is it its not frame integrated it plugs in the back on a carrier , woosh bikes
Have changed the rack and battery case, so if you bought 4years ago you are
Stuffed, that's bugger you old customer, hello new ones, I can't be the only one that's been shafted. As I've said the bike is going to live longer then 4years.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is it its not frame integrated it plugs in the back on a carrier , woosh bikes
Have changed the rack and battery case, so if you bought 4years ago you are
Stuffed, that's bugger you old customer, hello new ones, I can't be the only one that's been shafted. As I've said the bike is going to live longer then 4years.
I knew that it was a rack battery, but as said, why not get it recelled which would solve your problem at a competitive cost. Large numbers of us do that and I used to recell myself on one e-bike model, for myself and others.

The fundamental problem with e-bikes is that it's a very young industry with everything still in development, and that's true of lithium batteries too. The bikes and batteries are constantly changing as the science and design evolves, while sales are too small to sustain spare stocks or even their manufacture over long periods.

There were safer alternatives for customers, for example the Ezee brand are good quality reasonably priced e-bikes which have a standard battery mounting on almost all models ever since the first one 13 years ago. With each advance in battery chemistry the new cells and BMS were built into the same casing, giving an ideal world of batteries always available yet always the most advanced type. I've bought two Ezee models, yet too few bought them and at present they don't have a UK agent as a result.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi there , yes it's a 4 year old woosh sirocco with a 10ah battery. I wanted a 15ah re placement, I had been offered a 13 ah ,both of which requires a new
Back rack, woosh have been helpful, but as the battery life was expected 4 years
I can't help thinking you would still be able to replace with the same case, I estimate the bike has done no more than 500 miles.
You can fit any 36v battery you want. It doesn't have to be a Woosh one, nor does it have to be one that goes on a rack.

I'd chuck that monstrosity that you have over the back wheel, take the controller out and stick it in an under-seat toolbag, then fit a battery like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V17Ah-Electric-bicycle-Li-ion-Battery-with-Cellphone-charging-USB-3A-Charger/222314423780?epid=2065113669&hash=item33c2f8e5e4:g:FJAAAOSwfkdZkt3z

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Roger ramjet

Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
You can fit any 36v battery you want. It doesn't have to be a Woosh one, nor does it have to be one that goes on a rack.

I'd chuck that monstrosity that you have over the back wheel, take the controller out and stick it in an under-seat toolbag, then fit a battery like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V17Ah-Electric-bicycle-Li-ion-Battery-with-Cellphone-charging-USB-3A-Charger/222314423780?epid=2065113669&hash=item33c2f8e5e4:g:FJAAAOSwfkdZkt3z
Thanks D8veh I like this but I have no idea how I'd connect it to wires left after removing the rack, I do like that price. There's a box that the battery plugs in to at the back is that a controller in there or just a junction box . Have limited electrical knowledge.

D

Deleted member 4366

The controller sits in a box at the front of the battery. there's a couple of screws to take the lid off. The wiring is all with connectors that are fool-proof, so pull them apart, thread them through the hole and plug them back in again. There's two wires from the battery: Red and black. The new battery will have two red and black wires too, so it's pretty difficult to get that wrong. In the worst case, the battery wires' connectors won't match, so you'd need to find some way to join those two wires.

• Useful

Roger ramjet

Dec 2, 2017
South Coast
The controller sits in a box at the front of the battery. there's a couple of screws to take the lid off. The wiring is all with connectors that are fool-proof, so pull them apart, thread them through the hole and plug them back in again. There's two wires from the battery: Red and black. The new battery will have two red and black wires too, so it's pretty difficult to get that wrong. In the worst case, the battery wires' connectors won't match, so you'd need to find some way to join those two wires.
Thanks again d8veh you have given me encouragement to have a go.

D

Deleted member 4366

Things always look difficult when you don't know about them, but It's not that hard. If you get stuck, just ask.

D

Deleted member 4366

No. You can keep your existing one. you just relocate it into a bag, like this:
rocky2.jpg