New boy stuck

Marti9

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Hello all
62. Knees giving up !
got a Halfords Apollo transport folding E bike
I’d like a hand throttle. Bit new to E bikes and the workings as yet
found some info on here about the type to buy. Wuxing 108 ? Would that be best ?
I’ve opened the black box but unsure which is the connected I need to use.
Also is it just plug and play or do I need remove any other cables.
there isn’t a spare All the cons are used. Photo attached if anyone can help.
much appreciated

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You can't fit a throttle to that controller. Your only option is to buy a new controller and LCD, then you'll need to cut off at least one connector and solder some wires.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Marti9

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Any suggestions on which controller i would need ?
also help with which wires to cut etc
Many thanks.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The 3 key values off the label are 24v 15a Maximum current, and 7a rated current. Its the Maximum current value thats used in the headline of ads... (So you have a 24v 15a controller)

It looks like your headset/display is connected via the black 'waterproof' plug/socket(julet) while everything else uses older standard jst and bullet connectors (higo).

Since you need to replace both controller and display then you can ignore the current display connections an focus on matching the rest of your wiring.

As for what controller?? the KT brand are popular because they have a wide range of display options and are highly configurable;e and support throttle/speed control.
Not a recommendation a random ad picked at random ali exprtess KT controllers.
(edit the above link is NOT for 24v controllers ) this link does, again only shared as examples NOT recommendations..

controllers also come in 2 main power delivery types square wave and sine wave, my liomited understanding is sinewave are more sophisticated and 'better', squarewave can be cheaper and according to what ive read can be rougher/noisier..

KT Headset dispaly example ad

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
We always recommend a KT controller because they're so much better than the others regarding the power algorithms. They're quite a bit more expensive (£80 vs £45) compared to other types. LCD5 is the cheapes one, but LCD3 is a bit nicer. You can use any KT LCD except LCD1. LCD4 buttons are a bit small and awkward to use with gloves. Don't get an LED display.

A good thing about the KT controller is that they're dual voltage, so when you need a new battery, you can get a 36v one, which will make yourbike a lot better - like a new bike.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Lucky the controller isn't integrated into the battery mount.

One thing to consider is your handlebar layout with a throttle, half twist, full twist and thumb (various styles), thumb is easier to locate like the wuxing 108x but left side may cause issues - half twist & possibly full, come in left and right versions. I removed my left (front mech) to make room, I am right handed but left side is my preferred location. EDIT I had a 108X surprisingly big imo there is slimmer styles, I also had issues with water ingress on rainy days.

Last edited:

Marti9

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Thanks. Thing is I’m totally new to this type of thing though I’m great with car electrics !
I’ve read the replies but still unsure how to and what I need to do. Like a basic. How to guide.
so many wires in the controller !

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks. Thing is I’m totally new to this type of thing though I’m great with car electrics !
I’ve read the replies but still unsure how to and what I need to do. Like a basic. How to guide.
so many wires in the controller !
The important wires are the same on all controllers. Without knowing which one you're going to get, I can't give exact instructions. When you're looking at listings for controllers, look at the wires and connectors, then you can see what you have to do. They normally have a labelled picture of the wires. It's a lot easier than you think. Motor and battery wires are even the same colours on all controllers.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
You are basically doing a DIY conversion on a normy bike but you already have the motor and battery. You need to see your motor pin connector type and work out from there. Most modern motor are 9 pin "julet" bullet snap connectors & work with most aftermarket controllers. Watch some ebike conversion vids as reference & search this site for ideas of how to proceed.

Advertisers