New Build

Drewbhoy1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2018
uk
Hi all just thought I would pop in and pick a few brains . Just bought a folding MTB and will be adding a kit soon . I will be using the bike for leisure only so keep fit and loose weight . https://www.cyclotricity.com/uk/custom/mix-match-your-own-conversion-kit-77.html Can someone tell me how good this kit is and how legal it is or is this ebay kit just as good https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-Electrical-bicycle-E-bike-Hub-Motor-Conversion-kit-Rear-wheel-26/222254716621?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 ? Thanks in advance .
Drew

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is a thread about these yosepower kits which seem pretty good value for money. You need to put a "250 W" sticker on it maybe if that stops you sleeping at night.

D

Deleted member 4366

I would advise against one of those kits. They have many disadvantages:
They're very heavy
They have low efficiency unless you can get the motor up to it's efficient speed and keep it there.
They have low torque, so not good for climbing.
The legality has never been tested. Nobody is checking and nobody has ever shown a record of someone prosecuted, so probably not legal, but you'd most likely get away with it.

Don't get too hung up on power ratings or speeds quoted in listings. What you need is the right motor speed with the right torque and the right power for the type of riding you want to do. If you tell us what you want to achieve, then we could advise. There's still some circumstances where that kit would be a good solution. Many people find afterwards that it didn't quite give them what they wanted. It's the same with the 1000w direct drive motor kits. The converted (usually poorly done) bikes often end up on Ebay soon after the conversion. Many people on the forum tried them, but I can't think of many (if any) that were happy enough to keep them. If anybody has one and is happy, please say so here.

Drewbhoy1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2018
uk
Thanks Kiwi and D8 . I will only be riding for leisure with the Mrs on the trails and some roads when we go camping and to the shops so no commuting . The Mrs has a Viking e-go and I'm about 15 stone and have a Land Rover folding MTB . Thanks again Drew

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The YS Battery kit is quite good supplied with the very good KT controller kit. Though only 15a rated will be good for approx 600w max output or 500w average over the battery voltage range in assist 5, motor will get you to 23mph with good pedalling and is listed as 270 - 290 rpm but capable of 10% hills
The design looks like a Bafang copy with the side screw on plate and 5:1 gear ratio and otherwise looks not unlike the Q128c at 119/120mm diameter.

15st would probably be the upper most limit for this hub, though if only tootling along with the wife in not very hilly terrain will do the job.
Probably a better kit would be something like the Woosh 48v Bafang kit if you have hills, though more expensive it does come with battery.

Last edited: