New chain Krieger

sparky51

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2015
Cornwall
Could you recommend a replacement chain for my Krieger, The one on the bike has stretch by more than .75% and I am concern it might break, the only markings I can fined on the chain is KMC 4L-3 and what looks like a Z

It has only completed 214 miles but I afraid the clay trails in Cornwall which are a mixture of fine sand and stone have taken there toll :(

ps
Have I a set a new record ? ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
KMC would be good again, but you can choose a higher quality. The link below shows the suitable 8 speed chains for the Krieger, listed best at the top. They are sold though local retailers of course, or also from Wiggle online.

KMC 8 speed chains

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You've certainly set a new record. Mine lasted 2000 miles before needing replacement. I literally replaced it this morning with a chain from KMC.

Like yours, my old one had the same KMC markings. I doubt if our original spec chains are top of the range though.

This is the one I bought. It was incredibly easy to replace with the supplied KMC quick link. I think it is a slight upgrade to the original chain too ;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-x8-99-8-speed-chain/rp-prod25655

I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but you'll probably need a chain tool to remove your old one.

As for wearing out chains so quickly, have you tried a dry lube?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
he may need more than 116 links. The one I linked to has 128 links.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Crossed with flecc :rolleyes:

and check out my link again. Posted wrong one at first :oops:

sparky51

Oct 6, 2015
Cornwall
Thanks guys,
Just measured the chain with a ruler and the and the stretch is just over 1% , my park tool only goes up to .75.

Regards

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks guys,
Just measured the chain with a ruler and the and the stretch is just over 1% , my park tool only goes up to .75.

Regards
As trex mentions, don't forget to count the links before buying a new chain.

Feel free to tell me to STFU if you think I'm doing the sucky egg thing again :p

sparky51

Oct 6, 2015
Cornwall
Hi Fordulike & Trex
I always used wet lobe because it never rains in Cornwall ;) so a good suggestion will give it a try on the new chain.

I'm now counting the links but have run out of fingers :rolleyes: !

• Informative
Reactions: KeithMac and trex

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi Fordulike & Trex
I always used wet lobe because it never rains in Cornwall ;) so a good suggestion will give it a try on the new chain.

I'm now counting the links but have run out of fingers :rolleyes: !
Sand will stick to wet lube and turn it into a grinding paste (trex loves those words). When you fit the new chain, it will come pre-lubed, so no need to lube it for a good while. Just run the chain through an old rag after every ride.

Not yer wife's best tea towel. Been there, done that, paid the price :eek:

Pack of toothbrushes from Poundland do a good job of getting crud off the chain and drivetrain too.

Reactions: trex

sparky51

Oct 6, 2015
Cornwall
Hi fordulike
I've got one of these for cleaning my chain Parktool, have orderd this chain as sugested by trex and some drylube . hope the links work !

I can't see me getting 2000 miles but will try, might have to go for the chains as suggested by flecc's but we are very poor down here in Cornwall :(

Thank you all for your replys

sparky51

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi fordulike
I've got one of these for cleaning my chain Parktool, have orderd this chain as sugested by trex and some drylube . hope the links work !

I can't see me getting 2000 miles but will try, might have to go for the chains as suggested by flecc's but we are very poor down here in Cornwall :(

Thank you all for your replys

sparky51
Woah, hold on tiger, the pin length on that chain is 8.6mm. I may be wrong but you should be getting 7.3mm.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes it would seem you are right, have ordered this chain instead, good job they do free returns :)

Thanks

Sparky
Yes, KMC don't offer the higher number of links in derailleur chains for some odd reason. The one Trex linked to was for single speed or hub gear bikes.

sparky51

Oct 6, 2015
Cornwall
Hi Fordulike,
Sorry for late reply had to go out, there is 126 links on my bike but they don't say how many on the Clarks E8 Ebike Chain, below is what's on Clarks website:

8 Speed • Nickel plated silver • 1/2” x 3/32” • Pin length – 7.3mm • Tensile strength 1000 KGF • Compatibility – Mid motor e-Bikes, Borsch & Other major E-Bike systems

I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Thanks again

Sparky51

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi Fordulike,
Sorry for late reply had to go out, there is 126 links on my bike but they don't say how many on the Clarks E8 Ebike Chain, below is what's on Clarks website:

8 Speed • Nickel plated silver • 1/2” x 3/32” • Pin length – 7.3mm • Tensile strength 1000 KGF • Compatibility – Mid motor e-Bikes, Borsch & Other major E-Bike systems

I'll let you know when it arrives :)

Thanks again

Sparky51
If you click on the Q+A in your link, they answer 144 links.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Since replacing my factory original chain with one of higher spec, I have noticed I can now change gear under high torque with less clatter.

I had to use the brake cut-off technique to change gear before, otherwise it sounded like my derailleur would explode.

Just goes to show that forking out a little more cash on something as simple as a chain, can pay off :)

Advertisers