New donor bike

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
Ok, converted my 2004 rockhopper with a 350w BPM rear wheel a while ago and loving it. One gripe is the weight. It was never a light bike to start with but it is bullet proof and info like it. If I wanted to get a new frame can anyone suggest a well specd alternative that would shed a few pounds. Maybe a newer rockhopper? Any ideas would be appreciated with a few good reasons for the choice.

Thanks

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
FYI, you'll likely need to swap/change a whole bunch of components when you go to a modern frame from a 2004.

D

Deleted member 4366

A rockhopper frame is very light. It's all the components on it that make the bike heavy, so update only the components, not the frame:
Hollowtech chainset
Lightweight (hollow) stem and carbon fibre bars
Lightweight pedals
Lightweight tyres
Higher spec forks or rigid CF forks

You can get all those things pretty cheaply from Ebay, especially if you buy used ones.

D

Deleted member 4366

I bought mine from a Chinese supplier on Ebay - only about £10.

D

Deleted member 4366

can you recommend any lighter parts that would be a good match for my rockhopper.
You need to say what components are already fitted to your Rockhopper because there's several versions.

I fogot to mention that you can often save a lot of weight from the seat too.

D

Deleted member 4366

Look for any used Hollowtech crankset. The more expensive, the lighter. You can find LX for about £50 and XT for a bit more.

Just type in light weight pedals and choose whichever take your fancy. Magnesium are lighter and titanium shafts lighter still but more expensive.

For the forks, you have to look up the specs to get the weight, and you have to decide if you want to save weight by going rigid. For Suspension ones, Rockshox Reba.

Your stem looks like a heavy one. You have to look at weights of potential replacements, whuch they normally include in the listing info.

There's loads of cheap CF bars from Chines supliers on Ebay. Take your pick.

Same with seats, you have to look at the listed weights. Again, ones with titanium rails are lighter but more expensive. You can also save a bit of weight on the seat pin if you have a crappy one.

You have to do Google research for your tyres. You need to consider puncture protection and rolling resistance in relation to weight. I guess you can't have all three, but should be able to get a good compromise. Going down on width saves a lot of weight. If you only ride on the road, you don't need fat knobbly MTB tyres.

When you've sorted the main components, look at everything. Get rid of all the accessories that you don't need.

Don't forget that it costs a lot less to save weight from yourself.

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
newbie question here, looking on fleabay for cranksets and most seem to say 10 or 11 speed. how does that that make a difference to whats on the rear? ive got a 9 speed

D

Deleted member 4366

It's only the width. 10-spd is a bit narrower than 9-speed so you can use a narrower chain for a 10/11 speed cassette, but still works with 9-spd.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Replace BPM with Q128 to save 0.8kg or if you're brave, a Q100 for another 0.8kg off.
Weight saving may be even greater, although I haven't weighed the bpm or Q128. The difference should be 1.3kg given the quoted weights and 2.3 kg for the Q100.

Related Articles

Advertisers