New hub motor kit - Nano motor?

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It sounds like the Nano, but if so, they have a cheek referring to it as the most reliable kit motor. The grapevine online doesn't agree with that. The Nano roller drive arrangement has been the main source of trouble it appears.

The battery seems a bit tiny, judging by that all in weight, even for a 24 volt.

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
It sounds like the Nano, but if so, they have a cheek referring to it as the most reliable kit motor. The grapevine online doesn't agree with that. The Nano roller drive arrangement has been the main source of trouble it appears.

The battery seems a bit tiny, judging by that all in weight, even for a 24 volt.
Yes it is a bit naughty of them.

The stated battery dimensions don't seem to square with the photos either.

My 6.8Ah (supposedly) li-ion weighs in at 1.5Kg, and the nano-motor is 2.2kg so I suppose it's feasible to total 4.5kg including the controller, cables and throttle.

Some of the biggest and most trusted bicycle brands have decided to enter the electric bike market using this kit on their bikes.
I wonder which brands they are?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which brands indeed! If they are referring to Tony Castles Brompton Nano mod, it's a bit of an exaggeration, though I believe some US bikes are using it. A couple of other UK companies are offering the Nano mod too.

Of course, we're not sure it's the Nano, but that weight certainly makes it seem very likely.

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi Flec,
Could you explain a bit what the Nano roller drive is please.
Is the nano hub motor different technically to that used in my Torq.

I must admit I like the idea of fitting a kit to my light weight road bike.

Charlie.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It uses orbital rollers driving on a smooth track in the hub shell instead of orbital gears acting on a gear ring in the hub shell like other motors Charlie. This makes it extremely quiet and can add some efficiency due to there being less friction and drag. But of course, smooth rollers have the potential to slip. I've no personal experience of them, but here have been various reports from the USA of failures. That drive gave no trouble to A to B during the Brompton Nano test, nor did it on a long trip from the UK into the continent recently undertaken, so the jury is out here.

We'll have to wait and see, but if you're averse to taking a slight risk this might not be the best choice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, but I've forgotten what it was Leonardo. I'll try and find where I saw it for you.

However, it was a very minor thing, nothing bad and easily fixed once seen.

The only criticisms I've seen have been in the USA, but of course we haven't had them long yet.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Thank you Flecc. I'd like to know because I'm always tempted by the Nano-Brompton but the reliability issue worries me. Do you know if the Nano-Motor is exactly the same as the Tongxin mounted on the American I-Zip and similar?

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Thank you for the links Rooel. What wonder is if all that we read about the Tongxin applies to Nano-motor or if the English re-brand means some kind of improvement or quality control...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they are identical Leonardo. Tony Castles, the Elecrodrive reseller, presents it as though he is responsible for this design, and A to B magazine claim input, but I don't think that's anything more than the adaptation for it's use in the Brompton.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the Tongxin motor design which they called the Nano originally, and it's that which the USA has had for a while under the Nano name, and which is here now. The rather peaky power curve, and the other curves shown on the Tongxin site diagram match up with the performance of the Brompton Nano as well. The roller drive was definitely designed by Tongxin.

I still can't find that reference to Will Howard's fault, but I know it was very minor, and I think something to do with the motor cable exit, more a fitting problem than a motor design problem.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
are they really saying the unit price is $55 if you buy 200 of these motors if so it makes them incredibly cheap

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, these motors are very cheap. Even individually they can be, have a look at the price of this geared one for the Currie kit and low price Izip.

Replacement motor

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
I see that the A-to-B Electric Buyers' Guide now grants with five stars (!) the Brompton Nano… They speak of some “niggles” though. Did anybody see the announced “follow-up at 500 miles” in new number (61)? I’m very curious (yes, I know, I know… I should subscribe… but I’m sparing to buy a Brompton Nano!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think a mistake on the numbering Frank, I do have number 61 for September.

Leonardo, the update is on Will Howard's journey, and it was there that the fault was revealed, a loose wire that damaged the controller.

I'll scan it and email it to you as before. :)