New Kalkhoff Pro Connect 9 owner

Des Braban

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
Hi everyone. What a great and informative site. Nice to meet you all. Apparently I was one of the first customers to purchase the 2015 Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 9 from 50cycles which I have had for around one month (I'm the one who also left a review on their website). This bike truly is outstanding and will climb any hill. There is one near to me here in North Yorkshire, which is 16% (1 in 6) and after selecting full power and 1st gear, the bike climbed it no problem. Buying this bike was the best thing I ever did. I have uploaded a picture of the bike (with trunk bag) as of yet, there is no other pictures on internet apart from 50cycles own picture.
If anyone has any questions about this model, I'll try to answer the best I can.

Attachments

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Look forward to any updates re performance etc. as this one could be on my update list subject to 'committee chariperson's' approval (Mrs 'O'). Mind you she has a Kalkoff Tasman Impulse update on order for her 2008 ProConnect.

Reactions: Des Braban

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice bike, Des.

A refinement I would make is get rid of the awkward Woods valves.

They are a nuisance to inflate - it's not easy to check pressures - and if you have to change a tube, you will struggle to get a Woods one, so will end up with a mixture.

Borrowing a pump, which we've all had to do at one time or other, is also difficult.

I'm not sure if Schrader or Presta are best fit for the hole in the rim, but there's no harm in reaming that out a little if you have to.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You won't go far wrong with a Kalkhoff from 50 Cycles Des and you have no need to move away from the Woods/Dunlop valves. They function perfectly well and I have had them on several bikes with no problems checking/reading pressures. Inner tubes are easily sourced if you do a little research and my preference is the Continental variety with the longer valves. I'm not so keen on their covers though, preferring the robustness and anti-puncture protection provided by Schwalbe MP.

Des Braban

Dec 14, 2014
I have a couple of Presta valve inner tubes which I carry in my trunk bag just in case I get a puncture. I have one of those small Lezeyne pumps which may fit the Woods valves, but as yet not tried it. Perhaps as you say, Schrader valves may be better.
The bike itself is superb, but I cannot comment on the battery performance yet as with being cold, it isn't showing fully charged on the mini display or the battery indicator. On the very first charge, it charged fully and I tried every hill around here on full power to run it flat and it only managed 36 miles.
By the way, I have discovered that if you press and hold the '-' button, it resets the trip meter. Pressing and holding the '+' button activates the Push Assist, pressing and holding the 'Set' button changes the display from Miles to Km. This may be useful to some of you who don't know as there's nothing in the manual.
My only slight indignation so far is that I could do with the saddle moving forward around 10mm, but the design of the seatpost won't allow it. I guess I can live with that for now though. The wiring into the tail light unit was also thread bare, but I soon fixed this with a soldering iron.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
On balance, I prefer Schrader because they are more idiot proof on the road, particularly if you have cold hands.

Schrader also means you can use garage airlines or a passing motorist's 12v inflator.

I believe Woods can be inflated with an ordinary pump, but I'm not sure which valve type you need.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I have a couple of Presta valve inner tubes which I carry in my trunk bag just in case I get a puncture. I have one of those small Lezeyne pumps which may fit the Woods valves, but as yet not tried it. Perhaps as you say, Schrader valves may be better.
The bike itself is superb, but I cannot comment on the battery performance yet as with being cold, it isn't showing fully charged on the mini display or the battery indicator. On the very first charge, it charged fully and I tried every hill around here on full power to run it flat and it only managed 36 miles.
By the way, I have discovered that if you press and hold the '-' button, it resets the trip meter. Pressing and holding the '+' button activates the Push Assist, pressing and holding the 'Set' button changes the display from Miles to Km. This may be useful to some of you who don't know as there's nothing in the manual.
My only slight indignation so far is that I could do with the saddle moving forward around 10mm, but the design of the seatpost won't allow it. I guess I can live with that for now though. The wiring into the tail light unit was also thread bare, but I soon fixed this with a soldering iron.
It's got a fairly small battery capacity at 11ah so 34 miles at max assist if it was really hilly is good. That's 11 wh/per mile. I get 48 miles out of my 17ah Impulse 1 when I'm trying to flatten it for conditioning. That's on very hilly terrain. So almost 13 wh/ per mile.

Des Braban

Dec 14, 2014
That's pretty good. I'm now running mostly on Eco mode until I start climbing a hill where I switch to either Sport or Power mode. But like I say, when I charge the battery (until all LEDs go out) and then put it back on the bike, the mini display only shows it as about 3/4 full. I suspect this is because of the cold weather as stated in other threads. I'm considering bringing the battery indoors one night to bring it to room temperature, then charging it fully the next day to see if that works, then I can ascertain a more accurate mileage from a full charge.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Woods valves never given me any problems. I think they are much more common on the continent, and of course in my younger days were always used here (with that little bit of rubber tubing inside). Aldi/Lidl have bike pumps on offer at times with both Schrader and Woods connections in the pump head. Also, Halfords have/had little brass adaptors which you screw onto a Woods to get it to accept standard Schrader pumps. Not sure garages are too keen on bike tyres or footballs etc. being pumped up on their kit.

Vince O'Callaghan

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2015
After weeks of research into electric bikes , I have decided on a Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 9 ( 2015 model ) . Living in London i am hoping i can reduce my journey time to work with less cost . Hopefully i will receive delivery of the bike soon , so watch this space for a review for any of you wishing to purchase this bike

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The price has just gone back up £200 from the launch offer price. They were £1595 for a couple of months and are now back to £1795. Still good value for this bike and the level of equipment though.

Vince O'Callaghan

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Hi John ye i'm paying £1795 but hopefully i won't be disappointed from what i've researched its one of the best out there ....... will let you know soon :)

Vince O'Callaghan

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2015
WP_20150127_001.jpg
well here it is the kalkhoff impulse pro connect 9 . I must say after taking it out of the box it oozzed quality , takes a little time to set up the handle bars , and saddle but after a couple of outings that was all sorted . Wasn't impressed with pump supplied but hey I can sort that . I will be back with further details once i've lived with it for a couple of months . Carry on pedaling Vinny

Last edited:

Des Braban

Dec 14, 2014
Congratulations on your new bike Vinny. I guarantee that when you get used to it, you'll love it as I love mine. I've altered mine a little by replacing the adjustable stem to lower the bars around 30mm, changed saddle and fitted a front mudflap as road dirt from the front wheel splashes my shoes on my commute. Apart from that, the bike is super quality and the best I've ever bought. I don't like the fitted pump neither, so I carry a Lezeyne one in my back pack. Des

Heres mine.....

Attachments

martincecho

Oct 27, 2015
belfast, northern ireland
hi everyone. i own pro connect 9 from october 2015, realy nice bike , have no troubles with it. i am cycling everyday to work, shops, to school with my son on hilly terrainin belfast. Its my first ebike, and im happy with my choice everytime i cycle somewhere.. How it goes with yours bikes?

Ian Thompson

Just Joined
Jan 1, 2017
Durham, England
That's pretty good. I'm now running mostly on Eco mode until I start climbing a hill where I switch to either Sport or Power mode. But like I say, when I charge the battery (until all LEDs go out) and then put it back on the bike, the mini display only shows it as about 3/4 full. I suspect this is because of the cold weather as stated in other threads. I'm considering bringing the battery indoors one night to bring it to room temperature, then charging it fully the next day to see if that works, then I can ascertain a more accurate mileage from a full charge.
I know this is an old thrad but ive got a A2B ferber 2014, battery is loosing charge quickly. As I just got bike I dont know if this is cold or the battery. Ave 10 miles per charge on normal on hilly ground.
Any ideas please.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ian try starting your own thread.
But to answer your question. On old fat man on Scottish hilly who uses throttle all the time might not get 6 miles. But mostly we expect more than 10 miles on a charge.