New Legal Speed Limit: What should it be?

What should be the new speed limit for ebikes on UK roads?

• 15.5 mph: 'Stop complaining. It's fine as it is'

• 20 mph: 'Twenty's plenty'

• 30 mph: 'C'mon, let's keep up with traffic'

• 60 mph: 'Built for the b-roads!'

• 70 mph: 'Let's go on the motorway!'

• Other:

Results are only viewable after voting.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongle screws up the speed the range and the distance over 15mph why i dont even look at it anymore as its well off.

i can still get 47 miles if i dont use turbo all the time on a long ride thus why a dongle will half the range.

cant have speed and range the power has to come from somewhere ;)

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
The problem is the difference between riding on the roads and on cycle paths. At the moment, we can use both. 15 mph on the road is probably too slow, but 20 mph on a cycle path is definitely too fast. Not for the cyclists. I'm thinking about people with dogs on long leads and with kids not looking where they're going, let alone all the ones tacking towards you while their heads are looking at their phones.
If by 'Cycle Path', you mean a lane reserved on the 'road' for bikes, then you'll ride to keep up with the traffic.

If by 'cycle path', you are refering to a path 'on the pavement', or a path through woodland, then 15mph is likely to be too fast with people around you.

Put another way, just because a car can go120 mph doesnt mean it is going to be driven at its maximum speed. You drive or ride as appropriate to your surroundings. eg common sense.

The other factor to limiting ebike speeds would be protective gear. Helmets, jackets, trousers, gloves. So far i've not seen this point made with regards to ebike usage.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
20MPH is a nice speed to toot a long at. Though what ever hypothetical speed is suggested others will always want more.
That would translate to approximately 350w. I suspect most '250w' motors will do this with a suitable controller.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That would translate to approximately 350w. I suspect most '250w' motors will do this with a suitable controller.
The S class high speed pedelecs were restricted to 250 watts rating when it was first introduced and they were typically capable of just over 20 mph using the same motors and controllers as the 15.5 mph models, just not restricted.

Since the law allowed the S class up to 45 kph (28 mph) there were appeals for more power and the authorities allowed an increase to 500 watts rating. However they've mostly settled for a more popular 350 watts, that being sufficient for the higher speed.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing