New member, no pedelec yet...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is this no good? I could strap the pattern around the frame...
The battery cradle takes 3 x M5 rivnuts. As you can't add rivnuts to the underside of your carbon downtube, I think you may need to design and 3d print a sort of sling to take the rivnuts, transfer and spread the 3.5kg weight of the battery on to your downtube. If you can do that, then you might as well design and print your triangle bag.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
Ok so, as I see it, if measurements are ok, my biggest challenge will be the motor touching the frame and, therefore, I need to make some customized bracket for it to hold on to, right?

I haven't been able to measure it yet, but I'll do it tomorrow or Thursday.

One more question, what about the 500w GSM kit? It's sold by wooshbikes.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what about the 500w GSM kit?
zalle, the GSM kit is only 250W kit. We also sell the Bafang BBS02 500W kit but currently out of stock. Next arrival is in 6 weeks. The last batch sold out much more quickly than I expected.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
zalle, the GSM kit is only 250W kit. We also sell the Bafang BBS02 500W kit but currently out of stock. Next arrival is in 6 weeks. The last batch sold out much more quickly than I expected.
So you do not advise 250w? Is it too weak? I'm 85kg (just over 13 stone). I was actually thinking about the 750w one, but I'm a bit clueless.
Have you fitted one of these to a Scott Carbon bike?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have not but one of my customers has. He did not report any issue.
The main difference between the two motors is the extra torque on the 500W unit. You can climb more or less any hill without pedaling.
For leisure riding, the 250W kits are fine.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not even worth thinking about which motors to use until you've checked your bottom bracket. Most press fit ones are too wide for most motors. The BBSxxs can be bought with specially long shafts, but only from certain suppliers.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
It's not even worth thinking about which motors to use until you've checked your bottom bracket. Most press fit ones are too wide for most motors. The BBSxxs can be bought with specially long shafts, but only from certain suppliers.
Yep, I'll check that tomorrow :)

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what 250w would you recommend for my scott genius then? Are the GSM just as reliable?
If you have already got a controller, the GSM is robust and a good choice. Otherwise, the Bafang BBS01 is better finished.

D

Deleted member 4366

I just took it apart, it's GXP measurements are:
Housing length 72.5mm
Housing with 34mm
Axle thickness 22mm

Anything else I need?
What sort of bottom bracket does it have? Did you take it out? Show a photo if you don't know about these things. Is the blue bike or the black one?

72.5mm is good. that means that if other things are OK, you can use a standard motor.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
It's the black bike.
The bottom bracket is GXP and looks like this one:

I'm thinking about a 750w motor, is it too strong for a carbon frame?

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure abou that? The photo I looked at had a press-fit bottom bracket. How do you put a thread in carbon fibre? Is the whole bottom bracket area of the frame an aluminium piece that's joined to the carbon fibre tubes? This is not a threaded bottom bracket:

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
There's an aluminium insert in the carbon frame. The thread and the whole housing is metal, not carbon.

I'm pretty sure, I disassembled it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If what you're saying is right, you're home and dry. The only thing to think about is how ro resist the torque from the motor. Maybe make a shoe out of thin steel or aluminium to spread the load over and protect the carbon fibre.

The other thing is that you might have to re-route the gear cable. Just use a long piece of outer cable between the last accessible stop and the next position after the motor, or you can run the outer all the way from the changer to the derailleur, which will let you run the cable wherever you want.

Rather than the BBS02, I'd go all the way to the BBSHD. You can still turn the power right down if you want. For legality, as I said before, the 25 amp "250w" one from Em3ev has plenty of power - a lot more than a Bosch or Brose motor. It's really a BBS02 marked as a BBS01.

zalle

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
Portugal
But these guys (Em3ev) operate from China, right?

Import duties + VAT (23% over here) will not be viable...

eclipsebikes have the 750w for £394, but out of stock
wooshbikes have the 500w for £389, but out of stock
ebike-sales.co.uk have the 750w for £425

Any other options?

Oh, d8veh, what brand is that motor from Em3ev?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

But these guys (Em3ev) operate from China, right?

Import duties + VAT (23% over here) will not be viable...

eclipsebikes have the 750w for £394, but out of stock
wooshbikes have the 500w for £389, but out of stock
ebike-sales.co.uk have the 750w for £425

Any other options?

EM3EV is Hongkong, not China. There's a fair chance you don't get charged duty from there. Even with duty, the price is competitive; however, you get better quality. I wouldn't advise you to get it from them if I didn't think it was worth it, apart from the fact that they're the only supplier with the 25 amp 250w one.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh
D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry, I missed that. It's a BBS01. They're all made by Bafang, but that doesn't mean that they're all the same. Em3ev helps Bafang with the development, so they always get first dibs on improvements, which are being introduced continuously.