New Name for Forum

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they are not good on hills either. On hills, you will need about 1500W to match the climbing performance of a Bosch CX motor but they run silently.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the date: 10-March-2009
that goes to show that over the last 7 years, these kits don't cause enough problems for ebay to ban this type of products.
The real issue is the derestriction of otherwise legal EAPCs.

edit:

stuartm943 did not say what happened to him afterward. How much was the fine? did the police scrap his bike?

Reactions: LeighPing
Mar 9, 2016
Agree
the date: 10-March-2009
that goes to show that over the last 7 years, these kits don't cause enough problems for ebay to ban this type of products.
The real issue is the derestriction of otherwise legal EAPCs.

edit:

stuartm943 did not say what happened to him afterward. How much was the fine? did the police scrap his bike?
Agree with that ..

Take care.

Definitely last post on this thread.

D

Deleted member 4366

Another thing you need to be aware of is that some of these kits aren't even put into bikes. People make wind generators out of them, All you need to do is run a chain from your blades to the motor and the DC comes out of the controller .
Here's a hydro generator a guy made with one. I love the spoons:

Mar 9, 2016
Well one more !!
Would it be DC at controller d8?
And would it be self exciting ?
Or is that a brush dc motor ?
I,d have thought brushless would give square wave ac at controller ?? And I,d guess it would need an exciter current but not sure about that...never thought about running brushless as generator ?? Its nearly an alternator I suppose ??? Not sure.

I,ve checked..a brushless would work as a self exciting alternator and would need a rectifier to give dc..
So film must be a brushed motor. Great idea tho...expensive way to get 14 v
he had too many spoons...
That is it though...over 300 comments !!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Well one more !!
Would it be DC at controller d8?
And would it be self exciting ?
Or is that a brush dc motor ?
I,d have thought brushless would give square wave ac at controller ?? And I,d guess it would need an exciter current but not sure about that...never thought about running brushless as generator ?? Its nearly an alternator I suppose ??? Not sure.

I,ve checked..a brushless would work as a self exciting alternator and would need a rectifier to give dc..
So film must be a brushed motor. Great idea tho...expensive way to get 14 v
he had too many spoons...
That is it though...over 300 comments !!!
Any direct drive motor with a controller that has the regen function (most of them do) will give DC at the battery wires when you turn the motor. They work the same as any generator. You only need to regulate the voltage, which you can do by connecting the wires directly to a lead-acid battery.
Without the controller, you'd need a three phase rectifier. The controller does the rectification through the MOSFET array as long as it's connected to a battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
It occurred to me last night whilst having a sleepless night that if everyone on this forum put their energies into petitioning mps etc to legalise s pedelecs as in Europe instead of bickering, then we would reduce the animosity greatly and be doing ourselves a favour at the same time.Just an idea.

D

Deleted member 4366

All the fuss about dongles is mostly from ill-informed people. If anybody actually tried one, they'd know why I wrote that.

They have no effect on the bike whatsoever until you reach maybe the top three gears. All the time you're below 25km/h, they make no difference. All they do is release the speed limit.

They don't convert your bike into a dirt-churning motor-cross bike. When used off-road, you'd hardly get a bike above 25km/h except when freewheeling down-hill. When below 25km/h or when free-wheeling, the dongle doesn't change anything, so they have very little advantage for that type of riding and nothing to complain about.

On a flat road, they do make a difference between 15mph and about 20 mph. Which is the sort of speed you'd be at on an efficient non-electric bike. The main thing they do is take away that annoying feeling that you've hit a wall at 15 mph

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the dongle may not have much effect on hub drive bikes but it does add the full output of a CD motor to the rider's own output beyond the legal speed limit.
By numbers, the dongle represents the most significant illegal add-in.
I would suggest that Bosch, Yamaha, Kalkhoff and Brose should make their speedo tamperproof.

D

Deleted member 4366

the dongle may not have much effect on hub drive bikes but it does add the full output of a CD motor to the rider's own output beyond the legal speed limit.
It doesn't add anything. That's where the misconception lies. It removes the speed limit. That's all. If you can't reach the speed limit, it does nothing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
It doesn't add anything. That's where the misconception lies. It removes the speed limit. That's all. If you can't reach the speed limit, it does nothing.
that's just semantics. We are not talking about climbing hills or mechanical systems here.
Ask Soundwave how fast he can go on the flat with and without the electrics on.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
It occurred to me last night whilst having a sleepless night that if everyone on this forum put their energies into petitioning mps etc to legalise s pedelecs as in Europe instead of bickering, then we would reduce the animosity greatly and be doing ourselves a favour at the same time.Just an idea.
I have thought this about this.No big opposition against the government over the throttle ban.Not enough of us I suppose.More chance of getting a tyre manufacture to make speed rated bicycle tyres.

Mar 9, 2016
Go on then one more..

In National Parks etc its not the churning of paths etc ( which dongle has no effect) its the speed folk could do on flat etc ...mixing with walkers on derestricted emtb ( ie dongled) is sure fire way to get all emtb banned completely.

I suspect if S pedelecs are legalised in uk one of first things to happen would be banning of emtb on NP land...( and council parks etc)

I totally agree that dongles etc are much higher problem than high powered kits...
( As usual I,m very much biased towards mtb and can see how for road us S pedelecs would be beneficial. Not sure how a compromise could be reached...??
Certification/ Proof you are on none S pedelec?? I,d carry one if necessary???

D

Deleted member 4366

that's just semantics. We are not talking about climbing hills or mechanical systems here.
Ask Soundwave how fast he can go on the flat with and without the electrics on.
Why don't I ask you or myself how fast we can go on the flat without any power at all? I go over 40 mph virtually every time I go out for a bike ride whether I have electric power or not. The power on my ebike cuts at 25 km/h. Soundwave likes to show the excitement of riding his bike. You shouldn't take it too seriously. Think about Hollywood films. They don't reflect the reality of normal life.

Being honest, do you ride bikes without the 25 km/h restriction? Would you be happy riding that way? How much difference does it make?

Dongles make bikes a bit faster in some circumstances. Nobody would disagree with that. The point is that dongles don't turn a bike into a fire-breathing monster that will be eating grannies for breakfast. I expect that an average club cyclist on a road bike would be able to beat most of us on a dongled Bosch bike in a race along flattish roads. I know I've been beaten often enough by them when I rode my bike unrestricted.

Many of the arguments against dongles seem to be in relation to off-road use, where the implication is that they'll be churning up the bridleways and injuring innocent dog-walkers. Really?

The biggest problem is ourselves. Stirring up all this hysteria doesn't help our cause. The average person doesn't even know what a dongle is. By drawing attention to "all these dangerous bikes" is more likely to get a blanket ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Being honest, do you ride bikes without the 25 km/h restriction? Would you be happy riding that way? How much difference does it make?
I ride lightweight, low assist bikes for sometime now.
Before my current Giant D5 converted bike, I rode Bafang SWXH and BBS01 15A, nothing high power.

Many of the arguments against dongles seem to be in relation to off-road use, where the implication is that they'll be churning up the bridleways and injuring innocent dog-walkers. Really?
it's good to see the debate taking a turn for the better, with logical argument. Some members like flud may be obsessed with e-mtbs, I am not. I don't think dongles help when you ride in mud or going downhill, so the 'off-road' argument does not convince me.
However, we have seen the motor power in EAPCs going up and up over the last two years (Impulse 2, Bosch CX and now Brose) and at the same time, a fast growth period in EAPC sales that is simply unprecedented.
There is of course a legitimate need for more power to improve hill climbing performance of EAPCs and to better adapt them to commute in hilly areas. It should stop there. The dongle extends the benefit of increased power to flat road use, turning some capable crank driven EAPCs into s-pedelecs. That's not intended and that's what I am against.
However, I don't think the our government will change the law because of the sale of dongles.