New Shimano products

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
definitely high end.
would they be reassuringly expensive too?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Auto shifting to maintain maximum motor efficiency and battery range - whats not to like?

Expensive for Europeans;)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
automatic shifting: a solution looking for a problem?
it seems they want to make a bike to be driven instead of ridden.
while we are still talking about banning the twist and go throttle.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've long favoured a wide range 5 speed for e-bikes, so it's good to see a new 5 speed hub. The SRAM P5, tough though it was, had ridiculously slow down shifting.

Just a pity it's only automatic at present but hopefuly we'll get a manual version later to increase sales.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Yes, Flecc, hub gear/disc brake would be a good combo.
But I can't help thinking bikes are supposed to be simple, what's with all these gadgets to solve a problem, the problem wasn't there in the first place?
But it is a case that there for once is something new in cycle design, most things have been thought of before, and I am guessing that auto gear change has been there before.
.....and yes it had ,the Nuvinci hub!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But it is a case that there for once is something new in cycle design, most things have been thought of before, and I am guessing that auto gear change has been there before.
.....and yes it had ,the Nuvinci hub!
Actually Shimano beat NuVinci to it. Their first auto shifting gear was a three speed long before the NuVinci launch, used on some utility bikes and highly praised. They later followed with an auto shifting 8 speed hub and more recently auto shifting derailleurs at scary prices.

Another company, Baron Controls markets ProShift. The system is compatible with the Shimano Di2, SRAM eTap, and Campagnolo EPS electronic groupsets, with shifting controlled by a head unit that is connected to the groupset. This head unit then takes your riding data (speed, cadence, heart rate and wattage) to determine your optimum cadence, and then shifts into the appropriate gear.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But I can't help thinking bikes are supposed to be simple, what's with all these gadgets to solve a problem, the problem wasn't there in the first place?
The industry sees e-bikes as a luxury item, not a mean of transport. You have parallels: QLED TV with 2000 'nits' instead of just HDTV.
gear shifting has never been an issue before the introduction of the Bosch CD bikes. if you want simple, buy a geared hub bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The industry sees e-bikes as a luxury item, not a mean of transport. You have parallels: QLED TV with 2000 'nits' instead of just HDTV.
gear shifting has never been an issue before the introduction of the Bosch CD bikes. if you want simple, buy a geared hub bikes.
Gear shifting isn't a problem with your GSM!

Just wanted to say... :)