New Site Navigation Tips

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
As we all get used to the new forum layout, many of us have been introduced to simple shortcuts that improve the viewing experience. D8veh started the ball rolling with Ctrl & + and Ctrl & - to increase or decrease the magnification of the page being viewed.
I liked the button at the bottom of the page in the old forum [TOP] which took you back to the navigation bar. After several days scrolling back up each page, I have found that when you reach the end of whatever thread you're reading, if you press the Home key, you are taken straight back to the top of the page. Similarly, End takes you straight to the bottom;)
Apologies if I'm the only forum user who has only just found this out - I'm not trying to teach any of my grannies to suck eggs:p
Anyone else found easy ways to get around the new forum?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
upload_2014-1-12_12-24-3.png

The arrow to the right of 'Home' above takes you back to the top of the page.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
View attachment 7655

The arrow to the right of 'Home' above takes you back to the top of the page.
That's right at the bottom of the page Russ. I admit I hadn't found it, mainly because only a few threads get that far down the page!:oops: so scrolling usually still required. Actually I've also found that the Page Up and Page Down buttons do similar to Home and End, moving the page up or down about a screen length.
Funny how a whole different way of using a computer is coming back to me - using the keys to navigate around Wordperfect on old Data General green screen terminals! How the mouse has changed our world;)

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
It should be possible to add it to the bottom of a thread. I'll add it to the list !

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As discussed on that other thread, I've been having all sorts of trouble with posting to the new site using my android tablet (honeycomb o/s);
Disappearing cursor, 20-30 second lag between typing & display & no ability to edit any text etc.

After trying many add-on browsers, Opera seems to be the least troublesome - There is some lag when scrolling thro' posts but it's bearable.
I'm still working on video
AK47.

Well, posting video from youtube seems to work ok with Opera... But clicking on the link crashes the browser.
I can watch it fine on win 8.1 :confused:

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Hover over 'Forums' and select 'Mark Forums Read' from the menu that pops up.
Oh, I found that, and that's ok if I'm at the end of a total session, but the individual forum read button was more versatile, leaving unread forums untouched.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Oh, I found that, and that's ok if I'm at the end of a total session, but the individual forum read button was more versatile, leaving unread forums untouched.
If you are in one of the forums, you get the choice to mark all forums as read or just the one you are reading.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
If you are in one of the forums, you get the choice to mark all forums as read or just the one you are reading.
But where is the 'mark THIS forum read' option:confused: When in a forum, the only option I get is the same as when viewing new posts: 'Mark ALL forums read'
It would be helpful to be able to mark a thread as read, rather than the forum it is in.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Phil,

When in one of the forums e.g. Introduce Yourself, selecting 'Mark Forums Read' will open up a popup asking you to choose whether to mark ALL forums read, or just the selected forum.

Russ.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Hi Phil,

When in one of the forums e.g. Introduce Yourself, selecting 'Mark Forums Read' will open up a popup asking you to choose whether to mark ALL forums read, or just the selected forum.

Russ.
Ah...OK.:oops: Thanks Russ:)

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I'll see if it's possible to change the phrase to 'Mark All/selected forums read' as it is not obvious really. Looking on the XenForo forum other sites have been confused by this too.

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
As discussed on that other thread, I've been having all sorts of trouble with posting to the new site using my android tablet (honeycomb o/s);
Disappearing cursor, 20-30 second lag between typing & display & no ability to edit any text etc.

After trying many add-on browsers, Opera seems to be the least troublesome - There is some lag when scrolling thro' posts but it's bearable.
I'm still working on video
AK47.

Well, posting video from youtube seems to work ok with Opera... But clicking on the link crashes the browser.
I can watch it fine on win 8.1 :confused:
Less than 1% of Android devices still use Honeycombe. (Android 3.0).

Honeycombe was, in its time, the first version of Android that was written for a tablet device rather than being a phone environment based O.S version of Android that folk would just happen to use on a tablet.

You may feel that growing old is mandatory but you shouldn't be applying that same philosophy to your tablet operating system.

Only 0.9% of people worldwide share your version of Android.

You are using outdated software, probably on a tired, outdated device.

Of course you won't be able to get the best of Pedelec's new features ... or the best from any online site ... until you upgrade your software, (by rooting your tablet), or by purchasing a new device.

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
New Blog Posts

Apparently, new blogs don't yet show as fresh postings offered up to the site though Russ thinks he may be able to add a New Blog Notification widget in due course. (He has mentioned that fact in a reply to a question I asked him about such a feature today ... on his own blog).

Having just posted my own first blog, (realising it may not even be seen by some members unless prompted), this is quite frustrating ... especially as it has been sitting on the site unnoticed all afternoon when I would have had ample time to read and respond to any comments it might have generated.

I'm otherwise engaged now and I fear the moment has passed but, for the record, until a New Blog Notification feature were to materialise, members will, presumably, have to manually click on the BLOG link above the main forum panel to seek out any newly posted blogs.

Was it a popular format on the old site?

I'd never used one before but I've enjoyed the opportunity to embed video material along with photos and text and will carry on using the feature ... unless few folk bother or care about the format.

Advertisers