New Speeding Fines

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But a nonsense element included, since there is a standard 10% tolerance on all UK speed limits, this confirmed by the DfT. So the lowest of the recorded speeds do not count.

This is typical of so much conflicted recent legislation, ill-researched before being passed into law by parliament.

Last edited:

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
But a nonsense element included, since there is a standard 10% tolerance on all UK speed limits, this confirmed by the DfT. So the lowest the lowest recorded speeds do not count.

This is typical of so much conflicted recent legislation, ill-researched before being passed into law by parliament.
But is that changing with these new fines? Also bugs me that those with no income will be on a winner apart from points. Oh wait, that's me, can't work at the moment, don't claim and pension pushed back 6 years :)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But is that changing with these new fines?
No, the 10% tolerance is completely standard to take into account measurement errors in vehicle speedometers and speed detection devices. It also applies to e-bikes assist speed limiting, meaning we can have a cut off as late as a true 17 mph.

This new law just has a silly conflict included, very common these days. Such conflicts cannot overrule existing law without the necessary amendments to make the change.

In any case the police automatically apply the 10% tolerance, and with more lenience as you'll see in the the police guidelines from the ACPO below:

Speed Limit Fixed Penalty Court Summons
20 Mph . . . . . . 25 Mph . . . . . . . 35 Mph
30 Mph . . . . . . 35 Mph . . . . . . . 50 Mph
40 Mph . . . . . . .46 Mph. . . . . . . 66 Mph
50 Mph . . . . . . 57 Mph . . . . . . . 76 Mph
60 Mph . . . . . . 68 Mph . . . . . . . 86 Mph
70 Mph . . . . . . .79 Mph . . . . . . . 96 Mph

Reactions: Sarabee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cameras are not as lenient as the police. I got a ticket for 33 mph in a 30mph zone.
True, but the 10% tolerance was still just about applied. I'm guessing that it was 33 point something to tip you just over.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I always use cruise control to keep exactly to limit.
I do the same through the average speed check areas and road works sections on motorways.

My daughter has recently passed her driving test, and has a black box fitted for insurance purposes. I really have to watch myself when I use the car, and change some of my habits, although more so in respect of braking than speeding, but it has struck me that I wouldn't have any objection if everyone had to use one.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
My daughter has recently passed her driving test, and has a black box fitted for insurance purposes. I really have to watch myself when I use the car, and change some of my habits, although more so in respect of braking than speeding, but it has struck me that I wouldn't have any objection if everyone had to use one.
Same here and she keeps telling me off for the harsh braking on her info app.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Same here and she keeps telling me off for the harsh braking on her info app.
I must admit that my driving has improved since it has been fitted. :D That even applies when I am in my own vehicle.

I haven't checked on the app over the last week or so, but I suspect that the percentage rate would have dropped, as she is now using the car to drive to school, and it would be classed as peak time traveling.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I collected two lots of three points within 11 minutes of each other on the A12 last November. Three points from Norfolk Constabulary and three points from Essex Constabulary. 9pm at night, clear and open dual carriageway - not in any urban area. 82mph by the first camera and 85mph by the second. I wasn't overtaking, just keeping up with everyone else, so it must've been a field day for fines and points. Brought it home to me that the second camera was no.14 of 44, so had two other camera's got me, that'd have been my licence gone :(

Cruise control for me from now on. Car's also set up to 'bong' if I cross the speed limit.

Gaz

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to go 53 million metres per second and it will not get ur no plate ;)

fkn digital cams lol :D

• :D
Reactions: Steve A and Sarabee

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'll never complain about the UK police again, for speeding that is. I should point out I have no points and usually stick to speed limit, but not always. I drive up and down the M20 corridor and if I did 70mph, I honestly feel in danger. Anyway..

I was stupid enough to be in new car / holiday mode last year, heading to the south of france. I was on the autoroute, no other cars and was pulled over for speeding. OMG, totally my fault but I was clocked at 210kmph to my horror.

He told my wife to drive, and asked if the car was mine. I said no, as I remember my business partner (French) saying they can impound your car. I was banned for 3 months driving in france and 130 euro fine.

I no longer speed in France, but if you are ever stupid enough like me don't tell them it's your car tell them it's the companies. They will take your car and very expensive to get back. Also, they are targeting UK drivers as easy picking, and yes I shouldn't have used it as a race track in the first place.

I read a week later Eric Clapton had been banned for speeding at over 250kmph, same stretch of autoroute. He was lucky, he had his attractive young secretary in car. I HAD THE MISSUS!!!!!!:(:(:(

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'll never complain about the UK police again, for speeding that is. I should point out I have no points and usually stick to speed limit, but not always. I drive up and down the M20 corridor and if I did 70mph, I honestly feel in danger. Anyway..

I was stupid enough to be in new car / holiday mode last year, heading to the south of france. I was on the autoroute, no other cars and was pulled over for speeding. OMG, totally my fault but I was clocked at 210kmph to my horror.

He told my wife to drive, and asked if the car was mine. I said no, as I remember my business partner (French) saying they can impound your car. I was banned for 3 months driving in france and 130 euro fine.

I no longer speed in France, but if you are ever stupid enough like me don't tell them it's your car tell them it's the companies. They will take your car and very expensive to get back. Also, they are targeting UK drivers as easy picking, and yes I shouldn't have used it as a race track in the first place.

I read a week later Eric Clapton had been banned for speeding at over 250kmph, same stretch of autoroute. He was lucky, he had his attractive young secretary in car. I HAD THE MISSUS!!!!!!:(:(:(
Only 130€!!! That's not fair! My last one was 195€ and three points for the same category - 142 km/h in an 80 km/h zone. Nowadays it is six points and up to 1500€, confiscation, licence taken away on the spot for 72 hours etc.

http://www.legipermis.com/infractions/grand-exces-de-vitesse.html

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nowadays I don't do much driving and I am not entitled to any other drivers licence than a French one - I swapped my NZ one for that in 1978 IIRC.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Nowadays I don't do much driving and I am not entitled to any other drivers licence than a French one - I swapped my NZ one for that in 1978 IIRC.
May years ago my sister (foreign office at time) lived in Bangladesh, she got a driving license and the NZ authorities recognised this driving license. She then exchanged it for a NZ one and lived in Wellington for 4 years (again with foreign office). When she returned to London she exchanged her NZ license for a UK one. Can you believe!!

Advertisers