New tiny Xiongda motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If they ever come out with a CST version I would be interested.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I must say I am most impressed what xiongda have achieved with their YTW-06.

Thank you d8veh for bringing this little gem to our attention.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

bbend

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Norway
Hi
Have you tested this motor yet? If so, how does it perform compared to other small motors like the Q100h or the XD? I'm considering this motor as a lightweight build, but I'm concerned about the low weight might have compromised the durability of this motor, so any info about that as well is valuable, as the motor is not tested thorougly anywhere on the net.

Bard

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi
Have you tested this motor yet? If so, how does it perform compared to other small motors like the Q100h or the XD? I'm considering this motor as a lightweight build, but I'm concerned about the low weight might have compromised the durability of this motor, so any info about that as well is valuable, as the motor is not tested thorougly anywhere on the net.

Bard
I got the rear motor above but I can't compare it with a q100 or XD as I haven't got them to compare it to. It doesn't have bags of torque but for it's size it is really good. My wife uses it occasionally when we potter about on the bikes but I am planning on putting it on a good-weather light commuter bike for next year as I think it will be ideal for that. I think it's a bit noisier than a q100 would be.
At 36v top speed of about 17mph and at 44v top speed about 21mph if unrestricted.
Front version thread -
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/lightweight-trekking-bike-build.28276/

Rear version thread -
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/small-rear-xiongda-motor.28353/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and bbend
D

Deleted member 4366

The motor is very good. it has plenty of power even at only 11 amps. The controller lets it down. The motor is sensorless, so square wave controller only, which makes it very loud compared with what we're used to now. Also, there's a bit of a delay before it responds to the throttle or PAS while the controller sorts out the motor's position so that it can get the timing right. I might try it with another controller when I get around to it.

From a power to weight point of view, it's excellent, but you can get a much better control system and much quieter running with a Q100 because you can use a KT controller with one.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and bbend

bbend

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Norway
Awol: Thanks for feedback on this motor and providing the links. I've been googling this motor YTW-06 and this is the only thread that came up, which obviously branched into 2 other threads not picked up by google. Now everything is linked up for also for others interested in this motor.

The motor is primarily for wife/youths as I dont expect the power enough for my 100kg, although it would be nice if it can puil me up not so steep hills without overheat or breaking down, maybe by using a 12S batttery like you tried. How's that 12S been working out so far? Probably not a good idea for long term durability if motor is making much noise?

d8veh: My first post and getting reply from THE man when it comes to small/medium hub motors and general e-bike stuff. Not bad, although it seems like you can answer all threads everywhere! I'm hugely impressed!

I'm at the moment in a dialog with Bonnie, and I'm trying to figure out if at least one of their products can fit my needs. My plan was for the 2-sp XD, but the extra width and the fact that I don't have long steep hills, and your posts about the Q128H 36V 201rpm at 48V, led me into thinking that would be best for me. But I do want to make a deal with Bonnie as she's been so helpful, and you don't get that customer care elsewhere from China that I know of.

So the main issue is the lack of hall sensors, and the resulting noise/lag from sq-wave controllers, right? I must say that might be a show-stopper if you think Q100 might do a (much) better job. Have you asked Bonnie why they left out hall-sensors and if they consider to put some in (if that's doable with current design)? I would assume they would listen to respected testers like you, if you gave some advice about what would make their products more attractive to Western markeds.

About a more powerful motor they have the YTW-05, but it is not mentioned anywhere so it is probably best to go with a Q128H?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, i did ask her why they didn't have hall sensors. she said it's not possible to fit them because of the design of the motor. The delay isn't too much of a problem. you soon get used to it. it's just that the KT controllers are instant and I've got used to them.

The 2-speed can be accommodated in most bikes with a bit of stretching. It was great when I was much heavier. it could winch me up some very steep hills when I was loaded with shopping.

The Q-series motors spin faster than most, which is why they make such good power for their size.

If you want to buy a Xiongda motor, they make a fair range of them, and they're all very cheap. I reckon that any slowish wound 26v one at 48v would go pretty well, or any 48v one that will go at the speed you want.

Not only are Xiongda very helpful when you want to buy things, but also their backup is exemplary, and the cost of spare parts is very low. they really are a nice company to deal with.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
How's that 12S been working out so far? Probably not a good idea for long term durability if motor is making much noise?
I only used the 12S that once to try it. Unfortunately because of bad weather recently we haven't used the motor since then and I will be planning on putting serious miles on it next year after winters over as I don't think it will like the headwinds I often get during winter.

bbend

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Norway
Yeah, I think they are probably just as good or better as any other Chinese company in that price range. I have a Bafang BBSHD for 2 months now, which is great for fast commuting, but I want some lower power "legal" alternatives for me and my family, so want to try some cheap hub motors. Based on your feedback, and the fact that we weight about the same, gives me confidence that they might give me good milage with a bit of luck, and the BBSHD will be the main workhorse, before the cops pull me over anyway :) In that case I will need a backup motor...

So I'll get one XD, because it is their unique model, and the YTW-06 and maybe a YTW-05 CST, maybe a slow wound 36V as you say, although Bonnie would probably not recommend a non standard configuration, as her interest is in lasting motors.

Regarding the XD, there have been different controller options, and the HAL switch is not used on all of them, which I think would be nice to have, instead of fiddling on a LCD display (or maybe not?). . Should I just go with the one Bonnie suggests (KT), or is there a better alternative?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
How good is the motor? Total cost of kit with controller shipped to UK?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
cwah,

I've received an advert for this bike, and I thought of you!
Just bolt a bar between the two batteries to rest your feet on for a perfect transport!

Reactions: TZC, cwah and flecc

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
cwah,

I've received an advert for this bike, and I thought of you!
Just bolt a bar between the two batteries to rest your feet on for a perfect transport!

I'm sure the bike is overpriced. How much is it? Can I just buy the frame? Lol