New to ebike - help please

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Hi there everyone!

I bought a ex demo ebike couple of months back: Winora Radius plain, 20" wheels (scwalbe big Ben 55mm/2.15 inches) crotched rims, Tektro Auriga hydraulic brakes 160mm, SRAM i3 hub gears 32 holes, Yamaha PW motor, 400Wh battery. 52 tooth front, 15 tooth back.

1st gear broke 2nd day I had it, less than 20 miles I rode it.

A week later 2nd gear broke after total of less than 100 miles.

I ended up using it as a "fixie" for a few more days, maybe another 100 miles before that gear broke too?

Left me very angry as I used the bike for work as I deliver food for a living. I went back to my non electric hybrid.

I've more or less decided to buy a Shimano Alfine 8 hub gear, 32h, and rapid fire shifter. Hopefully I can get a LBS to salvage as much as possible if original wheel and build it in and install shifter.

What do you think?

Is this a good choice?

Should I keep the front at 52 tooth and rear at 15 or change to different size? (I'm looking for durability, reliability and ability to zip around all of London in all weather)

Is there anything I've not thought of? Anything that you could point out would be helpful and appreciated?

Thanks in advance,
Kuhneye

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
I think so.

I heard a loud crack when 3rd gear went. I could not pedal after that. I checked that the cable was attached too to the hub and checked the tension. I took the wheel off and then I could pedal the crank. Put wheel back on and it would not pedal in any gear. Frozen solid.

TBH I'm still a little worried about the motor, though think I'm being a little paranoid.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it's ex demo from a dealer then it will be under warranty, two months isn't long so take it back for them to repair,

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
If it's ex demo from a dealer then it will be under warranty, two months isn't long so take it back for them to repair,

You don't know electricbikesales.co.uk

I had to wait for a month to get them to get a replacement i3 gears in the 1st place!

They rarely answer the phone or respond to emails. They are quick to take money and then an absolute nightmare after!

On top of that SRAM discontinued the i3 hub February this year. SRAM does not make any hub anymore.

This is why I'm going my own route.

So - Anyone reading this - avoid buying from electricbikesales.co.uk

...like the plague

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Take it back there's gotta be some come back on them selling you a duff one, even if it is ex demo.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999 and Gaz

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
I suppose I could, but other than the ratty i3 gears I absolutely like the bike + I got it at a good price that makes it worth keeping and upgrading. Still an option at a later date as I've got 1 year warranty/gaurantee.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Do your homework first regarding Shimano hubs, I don't think they are rated for PW 80nm torque. Nuvinci maybe better option.

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
Do your homework first regarding Shimano hubs, I don't think they are rated for PW 80nm torque. Nuvinci maybe better option.

I did consider nuvinci hubs as I've worked on a cargo bike (electric Urban Arrow, Bosch Performance) with n360 hub gears and loved them! They cost way too much just for the hub n bits + then add wheel building cost + add cost of rim and spokes + add cost of building front wheel to go with + add cost of installing and setting up everything = me having a heart attack!

I then looked into a ready made wheel with Nexus 8 hub but since my frame is disc specific it would mean either adding on Magura hydraulic rim brake at the back and all associated costs or using a roller break - which I and my knees hate!

I read alot of good stuff about Alfine 8 hubs for MTB and ebiking so it's my top choice so far in terms of cost/performance/durability and they are disc specific. Alfine works out easier and cheaper than Nexus in my case. Plus I worked in another cargo bike (non electric) with massive loads and Alfine gears and was impressed how strong and durable it was in all sorts of weather and conditions.

I delivered food with it when it was working. Delivery is high theft and high jacking risk. I don't want spend huge money and then have to replace it. It's nearly impossible for a bicycle courier to be insured because of how high risk it is.

I've sourced an Alfine 8 hub, 32h, trigger shifter and small bits and delivery from Germany for £175. Labour to get it installed in my own back wheel is £20/30 + possibly need a chain tensioner. That's a reasonable amount to spend for what I do and reasonable risk for the ability to do more hours and earn more money in a more relaxed manner.

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
But I've found a ready made wheel, 6 bolt disc ready for £21 + 8 speed cassette and chain + £14 + chain tensioner £14. Not sure yet if I'm on the right track, but if it is it would probably be a smarter financial move.

D

Deleted member 4366

Have you tried a Nuvinci? I have one on one of my bikes and I wouldn't recommend one - even worse on a crank-drive bike. It's one of those things that sounds a great idea until you try it.

Kuhneye

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2017
London
You have to understand how to use Nuvinci to get the most out of it. It's awesome on cargo ebikes. Once you "get it" it's quite good but I'd say it would be a bit off on a non ebike. It's not for racing.

D

Deleted member 4366

You have to understand how to use Nuvinci to get the most out of it. It's awesome on cargo ebikes. Once you "get it" it's quite good but I'd say it would be a bit off on a non ebike. It's not for racing.
I own one and have done many miles on it dragging my 100kg around up a lot of very steep hills.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
But I've found a ready made wheel, 6 bolt disc ready for £21 + 8 speed cassette and chain + £14 + chain tensioner £14. Not sure yet if I'm on the right track, but if it is it would probably be a smarter financial move.
8 spd cassette will be reliable but 9 spd with deore derailluer would be nicer to use. Replaced my rear Altus derailleur for old deore I had, significant improvement in shifting quality.